Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2024, 09:42 AM   #1
Steelers!
Established Member

M.O.C. #34752
Local Solar install

Looking for quality solar install from Anchorage or Matsu area within the next month. I have Jaboni roof module and unterminated wires behind panel in main cargo area with the 1000W inverter and a transfer switch with 2 lead acid 27 grp batteries providing maybe 90a. I believe my residential refrigerator is the only thing inverter is powering and currently fridge is eating up power causing nightly generator power before bedtime if boondocking. I'm thinking a couple 200 or 400 watt panels, hard or flexible. Question: should I go for 2 more lead acid batteries or convert to Lithium. Obviously cost is a concern but looking for some boondocking options for our 6 month trip starting 1 Oct from AK to all over the lower 48. Thanks

Steelers! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2024, 09:23 AM   #2
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Welcome to the MOC
First and foremost without question, upgrade to lithium! The prices are way down. Here's one example: https://www.temgot.com/collections/1...epo4-batteries
Old 08-30-2024, 01:13 PM   #3
Steelers!
Established Member

M.O.C. #34752
Thanks Foldbak! Those prices look pretty good. A common problem up here in Alaska is product availabiltiy and high cost for shipment.
Old 08-30-2024, 06:54 PM   #4
Steelers!
Established Member

M.O.C. #34752
I have the PD4575K18LS8 Power Converter. I do not believe after removing cover that there is a Lithium/Lead Acid battery switch. I guess that answered my question on staying with LA batteries until replacing the converter.
Old 08-31-2024, 09:00 AM   #5
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
You do not have to upgrade the converter.
We switched to lithium 5 years ago and have the original converter (non lithium ready). It gets the batteries (452Ah) to about 80%. Which is fine when not boondocking. We also have 800w of solar panals (200w each). The MPPT is set for lithium. Before boondocking we charge the batteries to 100%.
Do not buy flexible panels. They don't last.
Since you live in Alaska, you need to know the further North you go, the less sun you get. You may not get the output your panels are rated for without tilting them (Renogy tilt mount brackets are good).
Also, you cannot charge lithium batteries if they are below freezing. I made battery heaters for mine.
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...90#post1255190

Excellent article on lithium batteries

How to find happiness with lithium batteries
https://www.solacity.com/how-to-keep...tteries-happy/
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2024, 12:25 AM   #6
LeftOverParts
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #32230
A few additional things to consider is what you expect to run while you’re in the lower 48 for winter months.

If you keep the 1000W inverter, you’re probably limited to your res fridge, TV, charging phones and laptop. (You’ll also need an enough reserve Ah capacity for lights, slides/jacks that aren’t connected to the inverter.

A hair dryer, coffee maker, or electric fireplace are usually 1400W each but could be more depending on brand/model. Thinking you won’t need AC even if you’re going to the southwest.

Saying all the above bc your power needs will drive your inverter size, Ah needed, charge controller, and solar wattage to keep up. Your shop will probably ask you this.

If you decide to run more items, you’ll need to upsize your inverter or add a second higher wattage inverter. Your shop could quote both ways.

You could “copy” a 200i or 400i system.

You could always start with regular batteries and upgrade to lithium later.

If AK is expensive, it might be worth getting quotes in the lower 48 where you could schedule an install at the front end of your trip in ID, WA, OR? Maybe there are members here who can recommend shops.

Btw, DW and I are enjoying your beautiful, magnificent state while I write this.

Good luck and safe travels!
LeftOverParts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2024, 09:17 AM   #7
Steelers!
Established Member

M.O.C. #34752
Darryls,
Thanks for the feedback. Not sure about not needing a Lithium able converter, as mine says it will not charge them. I'm aware of the cold issue with Lithium but wasn't planning on using in the cold months, however mother nature dictates as we would be traveling Oct and April in the northern tier states. I am going to factor in the tilt option too. Thanks for the links too!
Old 09-01-2024, 09:55 AM   #8
Steelers!
Established Member

M.O.C. #34752
Thanks LeftOverParts! I have a lot to learn. Think I'm going to try and keep it simple to start and stay with LA for now and just get a couple panels. The nonflexible tilt would be nice. We will be traveling with another 5th wheel so my option to stop and get work once crossing the border might not work out for us. If we like this form of travel, probably will upgrade to a newer unit next year. If you are near Peters Creek, reach out and stop by for a visit.
Old 09-01-2024, 01:22 PM   #9
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers! View Post
Darryls,
Thanks for the feedback. Not sure about not needing a Lithium able converter, as mine says it will not charge them. I'm aware of the cold issue with Lithium but wasn't planning on using in the cold months, however mother nature dictates as we would be traveling Oct and April in the northern tier states. I am going to factor in the tilt option too. Thanks for the links too!
Your non lithium capable converter will work fine - it just won't get the battery bank to 100%. A little solar will do that.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2024, 11:19 AM   #10
Steelers!
Established Member

M.O.C. #34752
Found a shop in Wasilla to squeeze me in, Renewable Energies. Great service! One Canadian Solar Pv module 60/120 cell 400W fixed panel, Victron SmartSolar MPPT 100/30 controller, and Rolls two Gc2 AGM 6v batteries. Hopefully this will help for now.