Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2024, 03:10 PM   #21
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Thanks to everyone's comments and suggestions, I replaced the leaky hydraulic hose without any major incidents.

I did crib the frame up front. I used the LevelUp system (don't tell the LCI lawyers) to raise the front, placed the blocks, and then lowered the RV back down onto them. I was replacing the "Retract" hose, so after lowering the rig onto the blocks, I bumped the "Extend" button to try to equalize some of the pressure.

Being concerned about fluid spewing out when I removed the hose from the jack, I had my JIC37 1/4" cap at the ready. I also had a matching plug for the hose. I had it backwards. The jack didn't emit any fluid, but the hose drained out about a 1/2 cup or so. Lots of rags were placed in the area before I started, so not too much of a mess. But next time, have the plug for the hose ready first.

I have heard that Napa makes hydraulic hoses. Not so true, at least in the Sacramento area. There are seven Napas around me and not a one does it. I wound up using a hydraulic shop on the opposite side of town from me. They made up a 4' hose with two fitting in just 5 minutes and I was a walk-in. The $70 seemed pricey but everything today seems to be.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2024, 03:51 PM   #22
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Well done!
Old 10-05-2024, 03:42 PM   #23
artfuldodger
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10933
I just finished my yearly grease job. I use my garden spade under the loose tire and a 2x4 as a fulcrum to lift that heavy wheel onto the studs. Sometimes it's a challenge to line it up with the studs but it sure is easier than a straight lift.
2011 Ford f350 srw long box Lariat with B&W Patriot hitch. Residential Fridge.
artfuldodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2024, 05:05 PM   #24
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Thanks artfuldodger, that is the trick I used last time. But if I can get my son to mount them for me, I will. He needs the experience; I don't.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote