Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2024, 03:40 PM   #1
Ranger88

M.O.C. #34647
Mtn spots near north Georgia

Good Afternoon, I am an Active Duty Army guy stationed near Columbus,GA. It has been a dream of mine to take our RV(2021 Montana 3855BR) up north into the mountains either in GA, TN, NC and be able to fish for trout behind our RV, preferably fall or winter. Any recommendations? Would prefer full hookup if possible, but if not I have a blue buddy.

Ranger88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2024, 04:04 PM   #2
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Welcome to MOC. We are proud to have an a full time Army guy here. Thanks for your service. I have places to winter camp up here in western Virginia. Fishing is going to be slim in the winter but if you wish to get away where no one will I have some beautiful places for that.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2024, 05:58 PM   #3
CDS1
Established Member

M.O.C. #27770
We camped at Grumpy Bear Campground near Bryson City, NC. The river runs right behind the sites however the sites are close together. We stayed a week, really enjoyed the campground, the owner had just developed it and has added onto it since our visit.

There were people fly fishing behind the campground along with some guide boats going down the river during the day.

https://grumpybearcampground.com/
Old 09-20-2024, 06:59 PM   #4
Ranger88

M.O.C. #34647
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
Welcome to MOC. We are proud to have an a full time Army guy here. Thanks for your service. I have places to winter camp up here in western Virginia. Fishing is going to be slim in the winter but if you wish to get away where no one will I have some beautiful places for that.
Lynwood
Is trout fishing bad in the fall/winter?

I’m curious about those western Virginia spots.
Ranger88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2024, 07:10 PM   #5
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdhunter_1@hotmail.com View Post
Is trout fishing bad in the fall/winter?

I’m curious about those western Virginia spots.
I don’t say it’s bad but most of the trout is stocked and taken by fall. A lake like Moomaw in Bath County will have great fishing when the lake is back up to full pond. It’s let down 25 feet or so in the late summer. You need a boat to fish it as the trout aren’t close to shore. The campgrounds are closed in winter but there is still one primitive camp open.
Moowaw is a 2500 acre lake 160 feet deep with water tested clean enough to drink.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2024, 07:25 AM   #6
Bourbon County
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30449
Hello and welcome to the forum.

I'm not a fisherman and can't offer any advise on the fishing, but can add some about the area. If you're just looking for a quiet getaway, fall is not the time to go there. That whole area around the Smokey Mountains, Blue Ridge, Cherokee Forest is a very popular destination especially in the month of October. The crowds tend to fall off a great deal in November with the exception of Thanksgiving weekend.
Bourbon County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:35 PM   #7
c2itcliff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21599
Have you considered "Don Carter State Park" great camping sites, two boat ramps, with access to tournament fishing! Use "Reserve America" app for availability.