Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2024, 12:09 PM   #1
brycesteiner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #33140
Brake Controller Change?

My brake controller was reading NC the other day when I hooked up my trailer for the inspection. I unplugged and lugged in a few times and then it started having numbers on it.
NC I think means not connected.
I have a dial that I can control the numbers up and down .1-6.0 and the higher the number the stronger the braking. I also have a button that I can change from b1, b2, b3. I assume those can be different trailers, and each one is a different program.

Now it reads numbers all the time even when the truck isn't connected.
If I have it set to .7 does that mean that the brakes are engaged to .7 at all times or does it mean something else?
The controller says Tekonsha
How would I know if the controller needs replaced?

brycesteiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 05:57 AM   #2
brycesteiner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #33140
Just an update. I stopped at a local company in Woodburn IN called Bridge Trailer sales. I asked them about the problem and they suggested rebooting the brake controller. I disconnected it for 15 minutes and now everything is fine.
Some other tips they gave me
Bx = the boost for the load. I assumed it was different programs for different trailers and that is not true.
B1 = 10%
B2 = 25%
B3 = 50%
If you see a number on all the time like I was it means that it is engaging the brakes all the time and that's a problem.
Old 06-24-2024, 08:01 AM   #3
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
The Tekonsha P2 and P3 controllers are very good units. But like any electronics they can go bad. My P2 failed mid-trip a few years ago. I don't remember the error code but it was one that indicated a fatal error that was unrecoverable. Fortunately I had a 2nd P2 with me so a simple swap out and I was up and running.

Now I am using the OEM controller in my RAM and it works quite well. But I always carry a P2 with me as a backup just in case.

The point is...while it's rare, they can fail and need to be replaced. That's why I carry a spare. I'm glad a simple reset solved your current issue. Being without a brake controller mid-trip can be a real problem.
jsb5717 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 12:48 PM   #4
brycesteiner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #33140
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post
Being without a brake controller mid-trip can be a real problem.
I never thought about carrying a spare. Maybe I should...
Old 06-24-2024, 02:06 PM   #5
Playhouse
Established Member

M.O.C. #34383
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post
The point is...while it's rare, they can fail and need to be replaced. That's why I carry a spare. I'm glad a simple reset solved your current issue. Being without a brake controller mid-trip can be a real problem.
I had one (Prodigy) go out on my old 2004.5 RAM 2500 and had to replace it. Not too big of a deal, just a little time and money.

Since upgrading to a newer RAM 3500 with an integrated controller I've never given it a second though. I guess it's possible that the integrated one could go bad, but it would be a lot of work to connect up a third-party one if the integrated controller went bad.
Old 06-24-2024, 02:28 PM   #6
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playhouse View Post
Since upgrading to a newer RAM 3500 with an integrated controller I've never given it a second though. I guess it's possible that the integrated one could go bad, but it would be a lot of work to connect up a third-party one if the integrated controller went bad.
Not really. You do need the correct adapter plug to go from the controller to the OEM plug. The plug is just under the dash to the right of the driver side above the gas pedal. Once you know where it is it's quite simple to unplug theirs and plug in yours. I've done it once. I was testing some error codes I was getting on the OEM controller to see if it was the controller or the trailer. I got the same errors on the P2 controller so eventually found the problem in the trailer brake wiring.

I used the bracket that came with the controller and a couple small spring clamps to hold it to the bottom of the dash trim. It put it just above the gas pedal but out of the way...easy to see and operate.
jsb5717 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, controller