Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2024, 09:54 AM   #1
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
John Deere & Cat Pickup

Would you buy a John Deere or a Caterpillar pickup? They are both coming out with a pickup for 2025 according to reports I keep hearing. They both seem interesting. If you haven’t read anything about them Google them and see what you think.
For me I would consider both just like I would every truck that is made and then choose the best one for me. I’m not brand loyal.
Lynwood

mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2024, 10:24 AM   #2
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
Would you buy a John Deere or a Caterpillar pickup? They are both coming out with a pickup for 2025 according to reports I keep hearing. They both seem interesting. If you haven’t read anything about them Google them and see what you think.
For me I would consider both just like I would every truck that is made and then choose the best one for me. I’m not brand loyal.
Lynwood
First I've heard of this. Just watched the video on YouTube. Wow

https://www.google.com/search?q=john...fEmnBj7rM,st:0
Old 08-25-2024, 11:03 AM   #3
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I went out to YouTube and checked some of the John Deer Videos. I find it interesting that they all look like computer generated images. Look carefully, what do you think?

So then I went out to the actual John Deere web site and searched for Pick-Up trucks and couldn't find anything. Now, they have construction vehicles, like wheel loaders and back-hoes, tractors, and heavy equipment, but I couldn't find anything about street worthy normal pick-up trucks.

If there is any truth to this, I'd like to see an actual video of someone driving one, not just still images, that appear to be AI created.

I never bothered to look at the Caterpillar.

Still, if John Deere DID manufacture a pick up truck, I think they would give Chevy, Ford, and Dodge a good run for their money.... They have a proven track record in the heavy equipment business! (so does Caterpillar).

Not that I'm biased toward John Deere or anything, nah.... not all all, I only own 2 current John Deere mowers with all sorts of attachments and have owned 2 others in the past. I'm not biased at all!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2024, 11:26 AM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Can’t argue about the engines. Remains to be seen how they can do as a passenger vehicle and the creature comforts most people want now. New territory.

Caterpillar truck has a unique look. Two different John Deere videos show two very different looks. One (a green one) looks similar to Ford trucks. The other (a white one) a more unique look. All videos show trucks static on a showroom type environment. Appears either AI or an actual preliminary mock-up not yet ready for action for an action video.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2024, 11:27 AM   #5
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I agree Dutchmen Sport. I’ve owned JD tractors for over 50 years but I have a Bad Boy lawn mower. Is this real. Are these pictures computer generated? Did this come from Deere and Cat? It would be interesting to know for sure.
Lynwood
Old 08-25-2024, 01:12 PM   #6
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
It has to be an AI generated spiel. Look close and you will see they sometimes spell John Deere" as "Jon Deere" on the door trim. I think I saw a 500 HP, 1,000 Ft/lbs. torque number from a gas motor (inline 6)? YouTube is the only place you find these new "trucks" and it looks like the same video referenced.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2024, 02:06 PM   #7
Bourbon County
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30449
My BS meter has just pegged out! Diesel pick ups is a saturated market and would be an extremely tough to crack into. Nissan entered a deal with Cummins several years ago an actually marketed a diesel for a short while. They were unwilling to build a heavier frame and the engine had to be so scaled down it barely outperformed gas powered half tons in towing ratings. Toyota actually now owns a larger market share in full size pick up market than Ram, has absolutely no interest in making a diesel.

To build a new vehicle from scratch; chassis, engine, transmission, etc takes several years and hundreds of millions of dollars laid out before the first one hits the dealers. Consider the design, R&D, facility, tooling, trial builds, hiring a workforce, establishing dealer network, service & repair training, etc. It would take a very large facility and many employees to do this. This is the kind of announcements governors and politicians like to crow about because they bringing economic development to their state/region. Even before the announcement there would be a sizeable land purchase and environmental impact study. I doubt all of this could have gone unnoticed before now.

I don't think there is an official release date for new vehicle models, but typically is between Labor Day and early spring. Before going to market a quantity of a brand new model have to be submitted for crash testing so the insurance companies can set their gouging rate for the consumer. I don't think EPA tests for fuel economy on this size truck, but I'm sure they do test emissions.

There us absolutely no way they could have 2025 models and probably not 2026 models ready or readying for market and not be known about.
Bourbon County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2024, 07:20 PM   #8
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
After looking at the web site, neither are showing a pickup
Old 08-25-2024, 08:27 PM   #9
parsfam
Established Member

M.O.C. #30871
Don't hold your breath on the Caterpillar truck. A quick 3-minute read tells all.
https://www.boomandbucket.com/blog/c...r-pickup-truck
2020 Chevy 3500HD DRW High Country
parsfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2024, 04:01 PM   #10
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
Click Bait Folks.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourbon County View Post
My BS meter has just pegged out! Diesel pick ups is a saturated market and would be an extremely tough to crack into. Nissan entered a deal with Cummins several years ago an actually marketed a diesel for a short while. They were unwilling to build a heavier frame and the engine had to be so scaled down it barely outperformed gas powered half tons in towing ratings. Toyota actually now owns a larger market share in full size pick up market than Ram, has absolutely no interest in making a diesel.

To build a new vehicle from scratch; chassis, engine, transmission, etc takes several years and hundreds of millions of dollars laid out before the first one hits the dealers. Consider the design, R&D, facility, tooling, trial builds, hiring a workforce, establishing dealer network, service & repair training, etc. It would take a very large facility and many employees to do this. This is the kind of announcements governors and politicians like to crow about because they bringing economic development to their state/region. Even before the announcement there would be a sizeable land purchase and environmental impact study. I doubt all of this could have gone unnoticed before now.

I don't think there is an official release date for new vehicle models, but typically is between Labor Day and early spring. Before going to market a quantity of a brand new model have to be submitted for crash testing so the insurance companies can set their gouging rate for the consumer. I don't think EPA tests for fuel economy on this size truck, but I'm sure they do test emissions.

There us absolutely no way they could have 2025 models and probably not 2026 models ready or readying for market and not be known about.
I agree with all the AI comments...

Click bait from YouTube influencer attempt to get hits from nothing but thin air. 2025 releases with NO propaganda from the actual manufacturers? Neither JD nor Cat has dealer infrastructure for service and repairs. I don't think so..... just my two cents.
Lee-CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2024, 04:09 PM   #11
KirkFess
Established Member

M.O.C. #19092
Wait & See

I worked for Freightliner for 18 years. CAT quit building engines for on road use around 2008 when the emissions requirements changed (again). Cat was unwilling to put the engineering effort into meeting the upgraded requirements. Their efforts to meet the 2004 standards created an unreliable engine. I doubt CAT is going to reenter the on road division. John Deere builds off road engines. The on road requirements are a complete different world. I would not buy a pickup from John Deere or CAT in the first 5 years. Let some other guinea pig sort out the issues! Both companies are quite capable of building a great truck, but there will be bugs in the first generation design.
KirkFess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2024, 04:49 PM   #12
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Cat built large dump trucks for several years but quit. I agree with most people here. Why would they start building pickup trucks?
Lynwood
Old 09-01-2024, 06:49 PM   #13
brycesteiner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #33140
Nope. All fake.
Why would any company enter a market that is already saturated with quality products? The only reason would be if you could undercut the existing market leaders to sell more for less. John Deere nor CAT are known for selling cheaper than the competition.
brycesteiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2024, 04:28 PM   #14
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
I would not buy the first year model of anything, I don't care who makes it.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2024, 10:23 AM   #15
Jay & Bobbie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #32306
Both companies have manufacting facilities nearby in Kernersville, NC. They are both great employers and build quality machinery.
However, I'll stick with my chevy for the road.
Jay & Bobbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2024, 08:15 PM   #16
Scubado

M.O.C. #34936
No thanks. Cat did enter the medium / heavy duty market a while back. It was a joint venture with International. You paid quite a lot more for the Cat version versus the International version. The Cat had a fancier grill and interior. They are no longer built. Ended up being a big flop. John Deer does make some very good equipment that they specialize in farming. I will not have my name on either list to purchase one.
Scubado is offline   Reply With Quote