Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2024, 06:05 PM   #1
kyjoe1
Established Member

M.O.C. #33834
Non-Legacy 3rd A/C Questions

I am interested in adding a 3rd a/c. I am in discussions with the dealer. I feel like they are getting varied information. I was under the impression that the 3rd a/c is a direct dump Coleman-Mach 15k PowerSaver unit. Can someone who has had the 3rd a/c added or took delivery of a unit with a 3rd a/c included confirm what their system looks like. I do not have a Legacy model so I would appreciate if only non-Legacy owners weigh in as the systems may be different between the two models. Is it a direct dump? Does it have a thermostat? Any information would be appreciated.

kyjoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:33 AM   #2
Bourbon County
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30449
I don't have a third AC but would like to offer a suggestion. I'm pretty certain all units that come "prepped" for the third AC only means the power circuit is roughed in and there's a roof cutout sized for a standard AC opening and maybe a skylight or exhaust fan installed there. They are all meant for a direct dump unit.

I would highly recommend looking at the fairly new Furrion Chill Cube model. It's basically an LG variable speed mini-split in a roof mount RV enclosure. LG has been making mini-splits and variable speed refrigerators for a long time and they are high quality products. These are rated for 18K BTU so they are 20% more capacity than anything on the market now; they always start on low speed so there is no need for a soft start on it or your other 2 for that matter. If you boondock and use solar or generator a lot, they are ideal for this application. They have an oscillating air dump for better air distribution. I personally believe these will be a game changer in the RV industry.

There is a lot of online information and videos on these, please research them. I believe Brinkley is the only OEM presently using them. Furrion is a Lippert brand. The only downsides I can see is maybe limited availability now and the profile of the rooftop unit won't exactly match the Colemans. They are presently only offered in non ducted models, but promise ducted and low profile models this fall.
Bourbon County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:59 PM   #3
kyjoe1
Established Member

M.O.C. #33834
That is some great info. I have seen videos on them. I am under the impression that direct consumer sales may be a long way off.
Old Today, 01:46 PM   #4
Cbarnes890
Established Member

M.O.C. #32603
3rd AC

Joe

I had a third ac installed as part of the purchase deal. The AC unit is a direct dump Coleman Mach-Q. The thermostat was wire where the Power Vent controller was located, for my model that was in the pantry, not an ideal place for the thermostat but works. We were out several time this summer with temperatures close to 100 degrees and the interior temperature never exceeded 70 degrees with all third units running.
Cbarnes890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:57 PM   #5
kyjoe1
Established Member

M.O.C. #33834
Thank you for that info. I’m assuming you have a 3781RL. My fan control is in that pantry. The funny thing is the original thermostat is on the hallway wall which backs up to the control panel wiring cavity with that controller. Wouldn’t take a genius to just install it there for better temperature control. 🥴
Old Today, 02:21 PM   #6
Cbarnes890
Established Member

M.O.C. #32603
Yes, we have the 3781RL, love the layout
Cbarnes890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:44 PM   #7
kyjoe1
Established Member

M.O.C. #33834
I noticed that after I sent the reply. We love it too. Thanks for the info. I think we will opt for the KoolRV duct option first to see if the Facebook and forum comments are true. Everyone that has purchased them says to the improvement is amazing. Rather spend $180 than $2600. If we are wrong, well….🥴