Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2024, 05:42 PM   #1
Lhinkle114
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25520
Adding Small Fans in Vents

Has anyone ever tried to add little 12 V fans behind the ceiling vents hooked up to the 12 V lighting system in the Montana? I have attached the picture. I知 looking to looking for feedback from all the professionals. See if it値l make any difference or even if thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5048.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	186.3 KB
ID:	17832  

Lhinkle114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2024, 06:18 PM   #2
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhinkle114 View Post
Has anyone ever tried to add little 12 V fans behind the ceiling vents hooked up to the 12 V lighting system in the Montana? I have attached the picture. I知 looking to looking for feedback from all the professionals. See if it値l make any difference or even if thank you.
Interested in the outcome.
Old 07-26-2024, 08:06 PM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I never had one of the vents off. But if the duct clearance above is not high enough the fan could actually partially block air flow.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2024, 06:36 AM   #4
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Sounds like you have airflow problems. You need to do some duct work.
Do a search on air flow or duct work or Air Conditioning.

Duct work
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Mont...ibextid=Nif5oz

https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=83870

AC ducts blocked 2023 Montana Coleman AC unit.
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=91341

Montana Duct modification
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=81522

Montana HC return duct mod
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2024, 09:37 PM   #5
Lhinkle114
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25520
The purpose of the fans are to push the cold air down. I can’t find any collapsed vents and all my vents have been taped up. When I pull off the vents my room temp drops by 2 to 4 degrees so adding the fan would force the air down. It doesn’t block air flow as it fits in the collar of the vent. I will also be able to wire it into the puck lights then add a rocker somewhere, I just don’t know what kind of rocker yet
Lhinkle114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2024, 09:50 PM   #6
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Larry are using the OEM ceiling vents or have you purchased others. The OEM in my unit have a much higher tubing that fits up into the ceiling ducting and to get more air flow we have cut the extra off. The OEM vents would not let enough air out into the unit because they were within an inch or less from the top of the duct. The fan is a good idea but I'm thinking it would block the air like the OEM's did. Have you tried or installed the fans? I'd be interested in the results. See you in Goshen if not before on your way there.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2024, 03:19 PM   #7
PDGx

M.O.C. #24867
Have not use them for that purpose, but yes they do move a decent amount of air.

I think it would help you.

I used the same computer fan to vent air from our basement where we set up the cat litter box. Works very well.
PDGx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2024, 08:00 AM   #8
Kyle and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhinkle114 View Post
Changing the direction of your vents makes a big difference as well, supply and return should not be facing one another, it's a hit and miss process.
Kyle and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2024, 09:44 AM   #9
Bourbon County
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30449
That's a novel idea and I'm interested in the results if you try it.

A couple of things to be aware of: When you punch a hole in the duct to fish your 12 volt wires through, make sure you seal that hole really good. Maybe just a very small amount of spray foam. Any duct leakage you might cause will make a bad situation even worse. Some of the smallest muffin fans are rated at 100 CFM. Every RV A/C I've read the specs on are rated at 350 CFM on high fan. You can't pull any more air through the unit than it can move. The air flow is kept at that level so the unit has a certain amount of time to remove the heat as it crosses the evaporator coil. I'm also thinking that if you have the fan in the vent and turned off, it will be detrimental to airflow.
Bourbon County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2024, 09:58 AM   #10
John and Barbara
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23309
I think that is a great idea, Best I've heard in awhile. That's what I like about this Montana Owners group.