Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2024, 06:23 PM   #1
Gonefishing
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #33285
Water filter system install

I’m getting ready to do an install of a permanent water filter system blutech 3 canister system. Anyone done their own install and have any suggestions on do’s and don’t.

2021 Montana 3761fl pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Gonefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2024, 09:21 PM   #2
Bourbon County
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30449
I would highly recommend installing a tee fitting at the inlet and outlet, and install a pressure gauge in the bullhead of the tees. Those 2.5" X 5" filters have very little surface area, and coupled with the 0.2 micron elements supplied, they will clog pretty quickly. A glance at the gauges will show you if there's a pressure drop across the filters indicating a need for replacement.

Water utilities typically filter to 20 microns, in a multi-stage system, maybe a 5 micron first and into maybe a 2 micron for sediment and then a carbon block for taste seems like a good combo.
Bourbon County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2024, 09:23 AM   #3
Bourbon County
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30449
I've thought about my response and there's one other caveat to consider. Do you know if these filters are bypassing or not? A bypassing type filter will divert water around the element once it becomes clogged. If this is the case, the 2 gauges I recommended won't work. Even worse, it can become clogged and start bypassing and you might not even realize it and just be pumping straight utility water through. If the documentation doesn't mention bypassing, I think a call to the manufacturer would be a good idea.

What is your goal with the filter system, remove particles, improve taste, remove chlorine? As I mentioned before, a 0.2 micron filter element is way too small for general use like bathing, dish washing, laundry, and hand washing. A 5 micron is quite adequate for these uses. A carbon block filter is pretty effective in chlorine removal. If you're thinking about drinking and cooking, an RO unit under the sink and a small dedicated faucet just for drinking and cooking would be very nice. Starbucks uses a large RO system in their stores so the coffee is being brewed with the same water regardless of location and local water supply. If you really want to knock it out of the park, add a UV filter on the RO output. A UV doesn't help with taste but very effective on biologicals like viruses and bacteria. The biggest drawback here would likely be everyone in the campground coming over for a cup of your coffee.
Old 09-24-2024, 01:01 PM   #4
fatcatzzz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14438
Use filters with 3/4" inlet and outlets. This makes a great improvement on water flow. I also installed a ceramic filter under the sink and separate faucet for drinking water.
fatcatzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2024, 10:18 AM   #5
ep4me
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #32135
Bourbon county no disrespect but I think you are over thinking it Muitlple stage system the first filter should plug first and also will get most of the particultate matter out. you can alway chage the filter for a different micron size if needed. Cysts and bacteria: For the removal of microscopic contaminants like cysts (e.g., Cryptosporidium, Giardia) and bacteria, water filters with micron ratings of 0.2 to 1 micron are recommended. These filters are designed to capture these small organisms and provide protection against waterborne diseases. RO membranes have the smallest pore size of all membrane filters, ranging from 0.0001 to 0.001 microns.

Water filters are not bypassed becaue that would defeat their whole purpose
ep4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2024, 07:17 AM   #6
Bourbon County
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30449
Quote:
Originally Posted by ep4me View Post
Bourbon county no disrespect but I think you are over thinking it Muitlple stage system the first filter should plug first and also will get most of the particultate matter out. you can alway chage the filter for a different micron size if needed. Cysts and bacteria: For the removal of microscopic contaminants like cysts (e.g., Cryptosporidium, Giardia) and bacteria, water filters with micron ratings of 0.2 to 1 micron are recommended. These filters are designed to capture these small organisms and provide protection against waterborne diseases. RO membranes have the smallest pore size of all membrane filters, ranging from 0.0001 to 0.001 microns.

Water filters are not bypassed becaue that would defeat their whole purpose

I asked in a prior post what the OPs goal was for this filter system and there was no response. For sediment removal, a multi-stage system with progressively smaller mesh elements is the way to go. If you install the smallest mesh first in line, it would likely catch all the sediment and render any others downline useless. Not to mention you will be changing that filter continuously. Filter the rocks first, then the pebbles, and then the grains of sand last. Yes, if you find you need a different mesh filter element, it's easy to change. You can get a carbon block element that offers some sediment removal and removes a lot of chlorine and will actually help a bit with taste.

As far as the biologicals you mentioned, the water utility chlorination should take care of most all of those. Granted they can be picked back up in the miles of buried pipes. I believe a UV filter would be a much more effective and likely less expensive in the long term for removing biologicals. There are models rated for 6 GPM on the market for about $150 now. The flow rate on the Blutech is 5.5 GPM when connected to a 0.75" hose.

The point I was trying to make is there is really no value in filtering general usage water to such a fine level. Drinking & cooking water is a different subject which is why I recommended a point of use RO and maybe a small UV for that purpose. Having water filtered to 0.2 microns won't get you any cleaner in the shower.

The comment I made about bypassing was based on information a plumber buddy told me. The Big Blue type filters which are mostly all made by the same company in the peoples republic and sold in different colors under different labels have been known to bypass. I spoke to someone from
Blutech and asked this specific question. He wouldn't guarantee they would not bypass, just said they should not. The only one I know of guaranteed not to bypass is the Magna brand sold by US Water Systems. They use a double )-ring seal instead of the flat seal on top of most other elements. Those flat seals are supposed to have a film of food grade silicone smeared on before installing; who actually does that?
Old 09-27-2024, 11:29 AM   #7
Jay & Bobbie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #32306
I would suggest you contact Ken Hudson, Plumber, in Cape Carteret. His office is on 24. He is quite knowledgeable.
Jay & Bobbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2024, 08:15 AM   #8
fatcatzzz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14438
You might contact people that install filters in RV's for a living.
https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com
I and quite a few people have used them for years. Quite knowledgeable and sell very good products.
fatcatzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2024, 09:19 AM   #9
Gonefishing
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #33285
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatcatzzz View Post
You might contact people that install filters in RV's for a living.
https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com
I and quite a few people have used them for years. Quite knowledgeable and sell very good products.
Thank you. I already purchased the system went with blutech after reading a lot of reviews and u tube video decided on them. We will see how it works out. Started the install yesterday ran into issues with the wrong pex fittings so had to go back to Lowe’s.
Old 09-29-2024, 09:30 AM   #10
Gonefishing
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #33285
Want to thank everyone for all the answers. I went with blutech 3 stage water filter system. Are they better then the others who knows. But after reading reviews and viewing u tube video’s that’s who I went with. I started the install yesterday seems it’s going to be a simple install. But of course nothing is simple. Started putting everything together and had to stop and return to lows. For anyone buying pex fittings make sure you check the package good. I never have worked with pex fittings and didn’t know or even heard of an expansion pex fitting. Found out there are two types of fitting regular pex fitting and what is called a pex expansion fitting. When I bought mine I just bought 1/2 pex fittings and 1/2 pex pipe. Seems the elbows I bought were 1/2 pex expansion fitting they will not work with 1/2 pex pipe unless you purchase a special tool that you use to expand the joint so the fitting will fit. Who knew not me for sure never heard of such of thing. So needless to say it was back to lows to get the correct elbows because I was not spending the money on the tool needed. So will finish the install later this week. Pictures to follow when complet.
Old 10-05-2024, 12:21 PM   #11
Gonefishing
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #33285
Fnished

While finally finished the filter system. Not a hard job but learned about the different pipe threads. Didn’t know there were so many. Mht, mip, garden hose thread and others. They will all go together but if not the same thread they will leak. Had it all together turned on the water and had leaks. Used washers and pipe tape still leaked. The problem was I had female mht thread and was connecting to a male garden hose thread. So after a few trips to lowes got the correct fittings and amazing no more leaks.
Attached Images

Old 10-05-2024, 12:56 PM   #12
Gonefishing
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #33285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourbon County View Post
I asked in a prior post what the OPs goal was for this filter system and there was no response. For sediment removal, a multi-stage system with progressively smaller mesh elements is the way to go. If you install the smallest mesh first in line, it would likely catch all the sediment and render any others downline useless. Not to mention you will be changing that filter continuously. Filter the rocks first, then the pebbles, and then the grains of sand last. Yes, if you find you need a different mesh filter element, it's easy to change. You can get a carbon block element that offers some sediment removal and removes a lot of chlorine and will actually help a bit with taste.

As far as the biologicals you mentioned, the water utility chlorination should take care of most all of those. Granted they can be picked back up in the miles of buried pipes. I believe a UV filter would be a much more effective and likely less expensive in the long term for removing biologicals. There are models rated for 6 GPM on the market for about $150 now. The flow rate on the Blutech is 5.5 GPM when connected to a 0.75" hose.

The point I was trying to make is there is really no value in filtering general usage water to such a fine level. Drinking & cooking water is a different subject which is why I recommended a point of use RO and maybe a small UV for that purpose. Having water filtered to 0.2 microns won't get you any cleaner in the shower.

The comment I made about bypassing was based on information a plumber buddy told me. The Big Blue type filters which are mostly all made by the same company in the peoples republic and sold in different colors under different labels have been known to bypass. I spoke to someone from
Blutech and asked this specific question. He wouldn't guarantee they would not bypass, just said they should not. The only one I know of guaranteed not to bypass is the Magna brand sold by US Water Systems. They use a double )-ring seal instead of the flat seal on top of most other elements. Those flat seals are supposed to have a film of food grade silicone smeared on before installing; who actually does that?
Bourbon county my goal was to just make sure I had some good clean water. Not all camp site are the same. Some the water is good and others it may not be as good. I am hoping with this system I will not have to worry about the water. The research I did and the views on you tube from other campers. This seems to be a pretty good set up. Time will tell
Old 10-06-2024, 12:56 PM   #13
Gonefishing
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #33285
Install is completed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2284.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	183.9 KB