Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2024, 10:59 AM   #21
Playhouse
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #34383
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
Um..... and on edit: one more comment: About those tank sensors .... Again, I'm tooting my horn..... if you eliminate toilet paper from your black tank mix, your sensors will will work. Install a Bidet, eliminate the TP and your sensors will work. I've not had any issues with my black tank sensors at all since I installed the Bidet. No TP goes down the toidy!
LOL. That's a lifestyle commitment that isn't necessarily available to everyone, depending on their physiology.

It makes me think of comedian Adam Carolla's old bit about "trying to get chunky peanut butter out of shag carpet".

If you're a hairy guy, the bidet is a start, but not the ultimate solution. Plus the bidet makes a hairy backside so wet that the TP is still needed to dry things off.

I like the way you think though.

Old 09-22-2024, 08:17 PM   #22
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
That video is great! Between the KleenTank video and this one, wow! I've been doing back-flushing with my gray water tank since my first camper, some 30 years ago, so I guess I had it right all this time. Back flushing works. It DOES remove "stuff" that just sits on the bottom after the first dump, and the first dump NEVER removed everything.

Now, for those who feel an RV holding tank is the same as a septic tank. Well, sorry, but you are wrong. And RV holding tank is not a septic tank. (well, maybe it can be if you dump only the one time.... and here's why).

First, a septic tank is made to always hold water. When solids and water flow into a septic tank, the solids and liquids separate. Solids will settle to the bottom and liquids will float to the top, and when the water level gets high enough, will flow out a hole and into a leaching field.

Second, all that stuff that settles into the bottom form a "sludge" and that sludge is necessary to form the necessary bacteria to dissolve that "sludge". Some of that sludge will eventually rise as it completely liquifies and will eventually flow out the exit pipe and into the leaching field.

When the bacteria does not grow fast enough, or too much solid is added to the tank too fast, the sludge level will grow higher and higher until it becomes necessary to pump it out.

This is NOT how a RV holding tank works. A holding tank is just that ... it "holds" the contents until it's dumped out.

Now, if you dump and leave all that sludge in the bottom of your tank, well ... maybe then you might have a septic tank going on there. But, if that were the case, then you could simply leave your black tank valve open all the time. What happens if you do? Well, you get the poop pyramid, your tank fills up with solids and then you have a completely clogged and useless holding tank. Does that sound like the functionality of a septic tank? Not hardly.

Um..... and on edit: one more comment: About those tank sensors .... Again, I'm tooting my horn..... if you eliminate toilet paper from your black tank mix, your sensors will will work. Install a Bidet, eliminate the TP and your sensors will work. I've not had any issues with my black tank sensors at all since I installed the Bidet. No TP goes down the toidy!

I agree, people treat a black tank like a septic tank. It's simply a holding tank. Use lots of water and flush until clear. The Dawn soap does help to keep the sensors working. It's the tank additives that cause the problems. Now I'm talking about (no hook up dry camping) So far I'm a fan of the Kleen Tank mixture.
Old 09-22-2024, 10:54 PM   #23
Derby6
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #31898
I Feel for you all. It’s easy for us. Our **** don’t stink. LMAO
Derby6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2024, 03:43 PM   #24
Greg10yes
Established Member

M.O.C. #31722
I put the SeeLevel tank sensors in and tied it into my Victron system. I am getting accurate displays in increments of 4%. I got the See Level Soul system. It is a game changer when you don’t have full hookup. It has even enabled my wife to do a load of laundry knowing she can still shower before we head out. Happy wife happy life.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7184.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	279.8 KB
ID:	18221  
21 Ram 3500 SRW HO Cummins
Greg10yes is offline   Reply With Quote