Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2024, 07:56 PM   #1
GetGone
Established Member

M.O.C. #32781
Opinions Requested

First let me start by saying that I know everyone has an opinion and that none of them are perfect. If the mods feel this belongs in another section please feel free to move it.

We live and travel full-time in a 2023 Montana 3793RD. We've been full-timing a little over a year now. We absolutely love it. We worked 40 years to be in a position to live this way which has always been our dream.

Up until recently, all has been going well. There's been a few bump along the way. A small leak, water pump going out ... minor things which are to be expected. Then the problems seemed to be getting worse. A den slide quit working. The next day, the opposing slide quit working. We found a very skilled and capable RV Tech to repair both of these slides. A few weeks later one of those slides quit working again. I replaced the motor myself. So far so good.

A few days ago we noticed a crack about 2 inches long on an exterior wall just below a slide. This crack is new because we're constantly wiping down the exterior and would have noticed it. We recently noticed a crack on an interior wall at the corner of the bedroom slide.

I've been in touch with Keystone and a local dealer close to where we are staying. Keystone had me contact a dealer. The dealer/service department says that the aluminum framing around the two slides has had a weld break causing the wall to flex a little.

Keystone informed me that since it's structure related its still under warranty. The dealer told me that it would take at least 3 weeks to repair the walls...at least 3 weeks for any dealer. We don't have 3 weeks. This is our home. We do not have a sticks and bricks to go to. We really do not have family to stay with. We have pets that live with us so we're kind of stuck.

So is it worth trying to find someway to leave it with a dealer? Since it seems that issues are starting to pile on which concerns me a lot, should we look at trading for a new one?

Sorry to be so long winded. I know the finally decision is ours but we thought that we might be overlooking something. We appreciate any and all input.

Thanks

GetGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2024, 08:10 PM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I really can’t help other than to say to get a firm commitment in writing as to how long they would keep your trailer. Some on here have reported dealers taking months to complete some repairs.

An independent RV repair shop may do better and faster than a dealer if keystone will authorize it.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2024, 08:41 PM   #3
Rotnjonny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #32150
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGone View Post
First let me start by saying that I know everyone has an opinion and that none of them are perfect. If the mods feel this belongs in another section please feel free to move it.

We live and travel full-time in a 2023 Montana 3793RD. We've been full-timing a little over a year now. We absolutely love it. We worked 40 years to be in a position to live this way which has always been our dream.

Up until recently, all has been going well. There's been a few bump along the way. A small leak, water pump going out ... minor things which are to be expected. Then the problems seemed to be getting worse. A den slide quit working. The next day, the opposing slide quit working. We found a very skilled and capable RV Tech to repair both of these slides. A few weeks later one of those slides quit working again. I replaced the motor myself. So far so good.

A few days ago we noticed a crack about 2 inches long on an exterior wall just below a slide. This crack is new because we're constantly wiping down the exterior and would have noticed it. We recently noticed a crack on an interior wall at the corner of the bedroom slide.

I've been in touch with Keystone and a local dealer close to where we are staying. Keystone had me contact a dealer. The dealer/service department says that the aluminum framing around the two slides has had a weld break causing the wall to flex a little.

Keystone informed me that since it's structure related its still under warranty. The dealer told me that it would take at least 3 weeks to repair the walls...at least 3 weeks for any dealer. We don't have 3 weeks. This is our home. We do not have a sticks and bricks to go to. We really do not have family to stay with. We have pets that live with us so we're kind of stuck.

So is it worth trying to find someway to leave it with a dealer? Since it seems that issues are starting to pile on which concerns me a lot, should we look at trading for a new one?

Sorry to be so long winded. I know the finally decision is ours but we thought that we might be overlooking something. We appreciate any and all input.

Thanks

Good evening. I can understand your frustrations. We have a 3791RD (Same floor plan as yours but 2022). Unfortunately, the problems that you are experiencing are not new. We too have had slide failures (Motor issues) as well as a crack in the corner of the bedroom slide. It took a week to fix the crack following the approved repair process. Yes, I believe that it is something that you need to have repaired, especially since Keystone is paying. If they follow the repair process that was published, it should be better than new (stronger).

Unfortunately, buying a new one and trading yours does not insure that you won’t have similar problems, regardless of which manufacturer you choose. They all appear to me to have their issues. Many of those issues are similar, regardless of manufacturer.

I believe if you read through the forum, you will find that many folks experience most of the significant issues during the first 18 to 24 months.

I wish you the best of luck. Please let us know what you decide to do…
Old 09-15-2024, 05:03 AM   #4
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
It might help to post your current location and see if forum members can recommend other service shops to try.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2024, 06:51 AM   #5
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Considering your camper is a 2023 model, then yes, absolutely let warranty fix the problem. But there-in produces another problem for you, namely, where do you live while the work is being done.

Probably, the best way to go is to find a dealership that will do the work (sounds like you might have already covered this). Next, as stated above, attempt to get a firm commitment from the dealership how long the repair should take and the date the work will actually start. They need to be aware you are living in the camper and need to stay in it till the very last minute.

Now that you have a firm date and time frame, probably your next move will be to find an AirBnB in a close proximity to the dealership and do a month or two rental. Make sure they are pet-friendly too. I would suggest an apartment, but most apartments complexes require a year lease. AirBnB's will rent out for one day or half a year.

I know this will cut into your retirement budget. But sometimes life throws whammies at us that just require us to pony-up the cash!

That would be my approach.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2024, 07:00 AM   #6
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I bounced this off my wife and she suggested, maybe you could rent another RV while the work is being done. However, I don't think that a good idea (personally) because renting RV is very costly. (I'm thinking of Cruise America). But, this might be a good, viable option for you if you can find a campground that lets you honker-down for a while, unless you do state park type camping and move ever 14 days.

In my opinion, motels are 100% out of the equation. At $200 a night now, for anything decent, well .... that's just extreme for 6 weeks.

Maybe the dealership has a rental RV. Maybe the dealership has an RV set up they use for folks full timing when their campers are being repaired right there on their property.

These are all things you can look into. You have lots of options, you just need look outside the box.

RVing is an adventure .... this is part of the adventure. Enjoy these days too. When it's all over and 10 years from now, you'll look back and see humor in all sorts of little details about this experience. You will.... guarantee it!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2024, 03:32 PM   #7
GetGone
Established Member

M.O.C. #32781
Thanks to everyone who has commented thus far. We will let y'all know what we decide and how it turns out. Thanks again!!
Old 09-15-2024, 07:57 PM   #8
LeftOverParts
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #32230
Our dealer had hookups where you could stay. If your dealer doesn’t have a setup like that but expects to take your rig and let it sit for a week or two waiting for parts or a slot in the service bay (thinking actual touch time will be less than 3 weeks) maybe you and the dealer can agree that you’ll get the trailer there within say, 3 days of work commencing. That could minimize an Airbnb stay.

Whichever way you go, you might want a back-up plan in case the dealer or a shop needs to keep it longer.

Re another rig, if you keep it, you’ll know the history and that it’s fixed. But if you’ve lost confidence in the rig and it might start costing you when the warranty ends, you might think about what it will cost to buy another rig either new or used versus repairing again - say a $2000 repair. Used will have its own risks.

Lots of different opinions but maybe consider a 3-5 year ext warranty if you decide to buy another rig.
LeftOverParts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2024, 01:37 PM   #9
brycesteiner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #33140
Buy a nice tent and stay at a nearby campground such as the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) or NPS? yeah. It's roughing it but it will allow you to appreciate the great outdoors in a different way, and inexpensively - Especially if you can do it before it gets cold.
Nothing says you have to stay in 4 walls.
It will also let you appreciate having a good RV when done!
brycesteiner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2024, 02:23 PM   #10
jkxtreme
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #33751
Some dealers do have hook ups but I seriously doubt the dealer techs will be in your coach for 3 weeks. I would negotiate with the dealer. Find out how long he needs to analyze the problem, then how long to make the repairs. He'll likely need to order parts so in my mind the only time you need to be in a hotel or whatever, is while they make repairs. Analyzing the issues and deciding what to do should take no more than a day, so you can play tourist while they decide what's wrong and how to fix it. Many dealers are short handed and have a 3-5 week lag time between ordering parts and actually performing the work. Your coach doesn't need to sit there waiting for your turn to come up. We just got our coach back from a minor body repair. We took it to a dealer for an estimate and once we got the price we set up an appointment for three weeks later. We arrived a few hours early and three days later we had the coach back. When they know you are living in it they seem to be able to adjust their schedule. Good luck. FYI... the dealer that performed the work was General RV in Elizabethtown, Pa. Good dealer but you have to be strong enough to hold them to their quoted schedule.
jkxtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2024, 03:42 PM   #11
Slugchick
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22048
We had similar needs when our rig needed Affinity frame flex fix. We traveled from CA at the agreed appointment day. Our large black lab was loaded in and off we went.we searched the internet at Rv share to rent a bumper pull to live in while the 10 days of repair in Goshen approached.. found a renter in Kalamazoo.. parked our
3701 Lk in the affinity lot, I stayed behind with doggie while husband drove to pull the 30 ft back to me. We off loaded all our own bedding, towels, food from frig/ freezer, cupboards , pet food and our personal alcohol stash! Drove it it to Tennesse and back 12 days, no missed Rv reservations.. oopps Monty not ready, owner needed their rig back. Found a cute cottage rental near Goshen, off loaded all “ “ said” supplies once again into the cottage. Eating and drinking our hearts out. Returned the private rental on time. 10 more days, owner of cottage delighted to extend our dates..Affinity had our rig ready, drove to get it. (Ps the cottage backed up to a very useful field for all this shuffling��.)Brought Monty back to cottage, put all our personals back in, cleaned cottage… back on the road home to CA.
Yes, for sure a lot off coordination, but we lost zero food, drank well, pup was happy…you can do this!!!
And a look back with laughter like we do��.
Old 09-23-2024, 08:57 AM   #12
Dgeisser
Established Member

M.O.C. #26900
Opinions requested

I had a crack at the opening of the bedroom slide out on a 3120 model. I took it To Curtis Trailers in aloha Oregon. They did a great job as always, and did it in just several days. Good luck!
Dgeisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2024, 01:38 PM   #13
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
If you can take it to Affinity in Goshen Indiana, they will take good care of you, fix it right and ON TIME!!!.
If under warranty, make a list and get it all done there.
Talk to them about options for accommodations.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:12 AM   #14
GetGone
Established Member

M.O.C. #32781
To keep folks updated, we took it to the dealership early yesterday morning. They told us they'd probably need it for at least full day to do all the things Keystone would require to have the warranty cover it. Surprisingly, the dealership called later that afternoon to let us know they had completed the inspection. They definitely feel that the issue is wall framing failure causing the walls to flex in two different walls. So we now have Monty back at the campground. The dealership sent everything to Keystone for their approval. The plan is to stay in Monty until the approval and until parts are ordered and recieved. We'll then take it back to the dealership. Hopefully Keystone will not drag their feet on the approval. We will post a follow once we know more.
Old Yesterday, 01:06 PM   #15
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
That’s a promising start. Good luck.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote