Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2024, 07:35 AM   #1
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Angry Water heater tripping the CO and propane alarm

Heater tries to light then seemed like it stayed on. Within a minute the alarm goes off. I was hoping it was just old but it only happens when I turn on the gas to the heater.
Sooo, what can I look at outside. I know the furnace has things like a sail switch and other things to check. And check for spider webs and other obstructions.
What other advice?????

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2024, 08:10 AM   #2
Bourbon County
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30449
I believe the first action should be to determine what if anything is causing the alarm. Some of the models will beep in 4 beep patterns and flash the LED if it's alarming on CO, and have a continuous beep and solid LED if it's alarming for gas. A very good investment is a combustible gas detector like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Detector-PT52...01&sr=8-5&th=1

One of these will be very helpful in finding the source of any leaks and you should be able to go the exact fitting or device that's leaking. Don't just start replacing parts blindly.

Here's a handheld CO detector:

https://www.amazon.com/CT-300-Portab...1zcF9hdGY&th=1

How old is the detector in your RV? They are normally only last about 5-7 years; my experience is the lower end of that time frame.

If it's not the detector, this is a serious issue for your safety, especially the CO. It's a silent killer, but likely the most painless way to go.

As far as your water heater, if it's a tank model, they're pretty simple, no sail switches, blowers, and no standing pilot flame. They are fairly well sealed from the inside of the coach and would be somewhat difficult to leak either CO or gas into the interior. LP gas is heavier than air and I would think any leakage would find it's way to the ground before leaking into the coach. If the detector is alarming on gas and it only goes off when the burner lights, I would suspect the gas valve in the water heater. CO is a byproduct of combustion and the furnace and stove are the only other things in the RV that can produce it.

You have a potentially dangerous situation, please be diligent in finding and fixing this problem.
Bourbon County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2024, 08:46 AM   #3
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
A friend's Montana had the water heater under the kitchen cabinet (with outside access). The CO detector was located on the opposing island cabinet. When the wind blew from the WH side it would occasionally trip the CO alarm when the WH was running on gas.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2024, 01:54 PM   #4
rpkittle1
Established Member

M.O.C. #23884
Propane alarm

This happened to us. I switched on the water heater (on propane) like normal. Five minutes later the alarm went off. The water heater had not lit and the gas did not stop. I thought I needed a new control board. Instead I got behind the water heater and unplugged and plugged every wire connection I could find. Problem solved. The connections had corroded and the fire would not lite. Works great now.
2012 Ford f-250 King Ranch short bed, 6.7 diesel, SumoSprings, Pullrite slider hitch. Sulastic shackles, 400 amp hour lithium batteries, 500 watts solar, DC to DC charger, 3000 watt full sine wave inverter
rpkittle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2024, 03:37 PM   #5
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I think my problem is what Carl and Susan said. I tried it a different a day and it worked fine. Then another day the alarm tripped. Guess what. A strong wind blowing directly into the side of the rig. And with 2 slides out right beside the opening that is about 3 feet wide acting like a funnel.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2024, 05:23 PM   #6
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Yup, Tom, my friends RV had the same configuration with two slides bordering the WH. You would think they would protect the WH but not when the wind is just right.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote