Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-15-2024, 10:29 AM   #1
Jack Newton

M.O.C. #34826
Drum vs Disc

We might factory order a 3623EB, I was wondering if the Disc brake option is worth the upgrade or will the stock drum brakes be ok. Has anyone had good or bad experiences with either?

Jack Newton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2024, 10:56 AM   #2
seasure1
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #32095
The disc brake option is most certainly worth it. I purchased a 295rl off the lot and just paid $4k to have it upgraded. Drum brakes should not even be considered for an RV over 30 ft. There is just too much weight pushing your tow vehicle.

Best money ever spent is on safe brakes and tires as the people on the road show little respect to people towing an RV and will cut you off cross over 3 lanes to exit right in front of you.
Slide toppers Sailun tires
seasure1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2024, 01:05 PM   #3
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
Drum brakes are a joke on a trailer that is going to hit the road at over 14,000lbs. The drum brakes may seem ok until someone pulls out in front of you and you need to slow down NOW. With disc brakes you can actually slow down NOW! The panic stopping difference is night and day different.
Old 09-15-2024, 04:05 PM   #4
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I don’t have disc but yes they are a worthy upgrade. Would you like drum brakes on your truck? It weighs less than your camper.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2024, 07:35 PM   #5
LeftOverParts
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #32230
We have discs on our ‘21 3231CK (16.7k GVWR). Stops great. You won’t regret the upgrade.

In addition to better stopping:
- Less risk getting grease on the brake surface during bearing service
- You can easily inspect the pad through the wheel spoke
- If they are Kodiak brakes, you can get carbon ceramic pads from a car application for about 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of Kodiak brand pads
- Haven’t had to yet but pad changes are pretty easy. In general, remove wheel, remove caliper, snap out old, snap in new pads, reassemble. Almost like a car.
LeftOverParts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2024, 10:03 AM   #6
Diesel guy
Established Member

M.O.C. #33012
it is 100% worth it

My 22 3781RL Legacy has disc brakes. What a difference in stopping power. It took some adjustment on my trucks brake controller and dash to get it just right. It stops allot better than my last fifth wheel. Only problem is you have to ensure that you do not get any leaks in the system. I had a hose come loose and lost brake fluid, so I had no brakes. Great upgrade
Diesel guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2024, 01:25 PM   #7
Richard Blackwell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19705
Send a message via AIM to Richard Blackwell Send a message via MSN to Richard Blackwell
Best upgrade for our 3402...but watch for issues!

We installed discs on our 2013 3402RL several years ago...my son and I did the install which went without any problems. HOWEVER...after several hundreds of miles, had one hose feeding the left, rear wheel disc develop a leak due to vibration against the trailer frame. Nearly cost us a horrific rear-end collision at at red light intersection while getting to RV park near Mt. Rushmore...with no brakes due to the leak, a 15800lb 5vr doesn't want to stop!

Lesson to be learned: 1) be sure any hose lines are clear of anything else and 2) do make sure you inspect all the lines frequently to be certain you don't have unusual wear or potential trouble spots. Trying to do repairs on the road to a disc brake system can be frustrating, expensive and HOPEFULLY not a cause of a vehicle accident for anyone.
2013 3402RL
Richard Blackwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2024, 02:01 PM   #8
Todd & Mary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28634
January 2022 we upgraded our 3761FL with 8k axles and disc brakes and haven't looked back. Best upgrade we've done. Rig stops a lot better than it ever did, last Jan. i installed the x-factor cross supports for the spring hangers just to get it a little bit more rigidity. So far so good!
Old 09-22-2024, 02:01 PM   #9
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
no 3rd a/c..... Mini split

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
I don’t have disc but yes they are a worthy upgrade. Would you like drum brakes on your truck? It weighs less than your camper.
Lynwood
This is another vote for disk brakes. People will spend $4ooo,00 dollars on 2 e-bikes and another $1000.00 on a bike carrier for the back. But won`t spend $1500 to $1800.00 dollars for parts and a half day of work on disk brakes that will improve safety by a long margin. And if you're really handy like me you can take the disk brakes off and put the drums back on to be reinstalled on the new unit when it`s time to trade in or up so they pretty much become a lifetime purchase. But I know carrying your big butt around the campground on a no-effort bike is more important to some.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2024, 04:30 PM   #10
Traveling Many Roads

M.O.C. #33443
I drive tractor trailer with disc brakes and disc brakes vs drum brakes is night and day, ordered my 23 Montana Legacy with disc brakes wouldn't drive either without them.
Traveling Many Roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2024, 04:31 PM   #11
Jdunnagan68

M.O.C. #33501
Absolutely worth it.

The drum brakes on these 14000# plus 5th wheels are definitely inadequate. Now that I've switched I realize how bad they really are.
Jdunnagan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2024, 06:37 PM   #12
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
Lynwood
Although the answer is no I wouldn’t want drum brakes again on a vehicle, but it’s like comparing apples , and oranges between drum brakes on a vehicle , and an RV . I have driven many drum brake cars , and trucks in my life . I will say good quality drum brakes stop pretty darn good , nothing even close to how bad a drum brake RV stops .

To answer the OP , after having several rv’s with drum brakes , and my present fifth wheel with disc , I’ll never own another Fifth Wheel with drum brakes.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2024, 08:03 PM   #13
Paul Mantz-Powers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11216
Disc

Whatever the Disc brakes cost, they are worth the money. As full time travelers our disc brakes have saved our lives several times. You'll be amazed at how fast they will stop you. The first time was when a car passed us in the right lane, swung over I front of us and slammed on the brakes. She had planned on making a left turn into a side street. However, there was a car in the on coming lane of travel. I stood on our disc brakes and got stopped about 6 inches from her rear bumper. We had just upgraded to disc. We still had the drum brakes we would have been in her back seat. Another thing that amazed us is that we stopped in time and never left a skid mark. We had our brake system upgraded at the MOR/ryde factory.
Paul Mantz-Powers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2024, 06:05 AM   #14
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Second RV with disc brakes. More stopping power. Safety worth paying for. Will not tow Montana without disc brakes.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2024, 08:33 AM   #15
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
I agree that (if you can afford it) disk is the way to go! Unfortunately, since my retirement my money tree isn't as fruitful as it once was so no disk brakes for me.
I will say that I test my brakes by using them to stop the whole rig during a trip and they do surprisingly well. I had a hard stop last week and it did good. Would have been better with disks but....
Old Yesterday, 10:34 AM   #16
loadmaster
Established Member

M.O.C. #20581
Disc Brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Newton View Post
We might factory order a 3623EB, I was wondering if the Disc brake option is worth the upgrade or will the stock drum brakes be ok. Has anyone had good or bad experiences with either?

I had a 2013 3582RL Montana that I installed disc brake on, and boy was that a game changer, I now have a 2024 3781RL with drum brakes and I plan on changing it over to disc brake this winter, I have talk to Performance Brakes and Humphrey Hitch and Trailer supply and both have about the same price on the system only thing is the actuator that I want. So YES I would spend the money just to have a peace of mind that I can stop both the units with out thinking about it, and with all the crazy driver on the road nowadays you just don't know.

Safe Travels
loadmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:58 PM   #17
KingRanchFan
Established Member

M.O.C. #22237
Get the Disk Brakes! We spend our days up and down Colorado's finest. When you need to stop going down a step grade, you would never regret it again. I was hoping for an ABS system but the factory Disks on our 24 Monty are impressive. Our 2017 didn't have them.
Old Today, 12:41 AM   #18
Derby6
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #31898
Interesting. My Montana is first trailer I’ve owned with disc brakes. I honestly didn’t notice a difference. still don’t with my other trailers honestly.
That doesn’t mean they’re not better????? I mean I’m sure they are. I just haven’t noticed difference.
Derby6 is offline   Reply With Quote