Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2024, 06:06 AM   #1
Ckeith75

M.O.C. #34617
Thermostat is dead

I recently moved back into my keystone Montanan 5th wheel after storing it 5 months back in October 2023.
The AC and heat were working great. As well as water but that’s another post. lol
I nice it to an Rv park recently.
And the thermostat will not turn in. Fuse is good. No display at all. Not getting power. Of course I am a single woman. I like to think I k Jw a lot haha. But I tell u. With an Rv especially living in one full time. I am learning quite a lot.
They are definitely a lot of preventative maintenance!
To live in that is. I’m sure some of the newer ones are not. They’ve really done done upgrades!!!
Any suggestions for me!? I’m not able to hire anyone. I have two other issues but first things first. lol

MOD Update: Post moved to a new Thread.

Ckeith75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2024, 11:58 AM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
WHat year and model Montana do you have? Is there 12V to other devices (lights, fantastic fan, etc)?

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2024, 10:06 AM   #3
Ckeith75

M.O.C. #34617
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
WHat year and model Montana do you have? Is there 12V to other devices (lights, fantastic fan, etc)?

Thank you so much for replying! Been a busy weekend. So I have actually ripped out my fridge! I put a regular 7 cubic foot non dual one in there this weekend! 154.00 bucks Walmart. So excited to finally have groceries. Ive not cooked a meal in 6 months!
But I do have other issues! And I mean they all came at once.

Lett me tell you.....
I have a 2011 Keystone 5th wheel and it was very well taken care of up until the owners passing awaysuddenly My friend sold it to me as she knew I would take care of it as he did.
Everything is 12V and runs only 50AMP power only.....one sec.....
Old 07-29-2024, 10:12 AM   #4
Ckeith75

M.O.C. #34617
Im so silly! I asked about the thermostat, not fridge! I have so many issues I cannot keep up! I should have looked at my post!
Old 07-29-2024, 10:21 AM   #5
Ckeith75

M.O.C. #34617
I do still have a thermostat issue. I got a family of rats last summer! Im really beginning to think they may have chewed the telephone cable going from AC to the wall mount. Is that possible/ i also had a water line issue so I have taken off panels all over front back and bottom LOL! I have vaccumed and lysoled every dropping I could reach. I have literally wiped off every apex line heating duct fan orfice whatever was within my reach. And its all been pretty accessible so far!

So thermostat, no water pressure. It has to build up pressue and I have to quickly shower or wash dishes. No way I could use compact washer at all! I have replaced anode and soaked vinegar ibntank and spray all inside water heater. It qwas so full of calcium! GROSS!!!!
So did all that aftr 3 years! I didnt know, i have indeed learned a lot living in an RV!
But the problem persists!!! I sometimes have to turn on pump and use fresh water tank when I am hooked to city connection. Never had to before this summer. Im thinking I need to blow out lines??? Input needed?? It did sit 4 months almost without use.
And that it for now I replaced fridge. Motor went out on it. I just dont have the propane option now, which bites but Ill manage!
Thanks in advance! So much appriciated!!
Old 07-30-2024, 06:37 AM   #6
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
For the thermostat issue:
IF it's a Dometic AC unit on the roof, the power to the thermostat comes from the batteries to the AC unit on the roof, then down to the thermostat. You will need a multimeter to trace this.
Check your fuses.

For the water pressure, check the filter screen inside the city water connection.
For shower water pressure, remove the hose. Check for a water restriction device at BOTH ends of the hose. Also check for a filter screen.
Do the same for the kitchen faucet hose (both ends) and bathroom faucet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dometic Blizzard NXT heat pump wiring.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	17850  
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2024, 08:13 AM   #7
Ckeith75

M.O.C. #34617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryles View Post
For the thermostat issue:
IF it's a Dometic AC unit on the roof, the power to the thermostat comes from the batteries to the AC unit on the roof, then down to the thermostat. You will need a multimeter to trace this.
Check your fuses.

For the water pressure, check the filter screen inside the city water connection.
For shower water pressure, remove the hose. Check for a water restriction device at BOTH ends of the hose. Also check for a filter screen.
Do the same for the kitchen faucet hose (both ends) and bathroom faucet.
Thank you so much!!!
Old 08-04-2024, 02:49 PM   #8
dh0706
Established Member

M.O.C. #34072
We had the same issue in our 08 3400RL. I ran a test cable from the ac unit to the stat(it comes off the wall pretty easily). You CANNOT use a regular telephone modular cable to test as the wires are reversed at both ends. I made up a new cable with modular plugs on the ends and wires in same order on both plugs. It brought the thermostat back to life and in turn heat and ac. You have to pull the grid off the ac unit in the ceiling to get to the plug in location. Once i knew this fixed the issue I ran a new line thru the ductwork, thru a cabinet and to the stat. Good luck on yours.
dh0706 is offline   Reply With Quote