Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2024, 10:42 PM   #1
Snowbound

M.O.C. #34840
2005 Keystone power woes

Hello!

2005 keystone mountaineer 335rlbs

My mother has been working to renovate her trailer before she moves into it full time. It is an older one, the 2005 keystone Mountaineer Montana.

One of the major issues that I don't think is right is that the shore plug wiring comes into the bathroom sink cabinet, then goes to where the water heater is, then goes up through the wall, tucked into the top of the sliding door track, then down and finally to the panel.

My guess is the wiring was re ran at some time. I couldn't find any wall penetrations to have it run in the ceiling. Can anyone who has an older unit show me the path your wiring takes to get to the breaker panel from the shore power plug? Is your plug under the sink? Does it go down the drain penetration maybe?

Thanks a bunch! Picture to show what we got after we pulled the cabinets.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20240917-071949.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	18199  

Snowbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:10 AM   #2
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
On my 2002 Montana, shore power enters the connector on the rear of the rig. House wiring goes through the belly to the basement where it's connected to a transfer switch (for the generator). The power wire goes from the transfer switch to the power distribution panel that contains circuit breakers going to each individual circuit.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:23 AM   #3
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
The Montaineer was a little different, but this doesn't seem right. Is this picture looking at the very back end of the RV? Is there any sign of a 50 amp plug on the rear of the RV? I have to think that even if this is pull-behind v. a 5th wheel, Montana would have run the electrical in the underbelly as normal.

I really doubt Montana would run the Romex directly to the water heater and/or above the door frame before attaching to the breaker panel.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:26 AM   #4
ScottnSue
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #31539
Our 50amp plug in on the back of the camper. I can look when I get home to see what it looks like. I think if I pull the drawer under the refrigerator I can see it all.
Old Yesterday, 12:17 PM   #5
Snowbound

M.O.C. #34840
Thanks everyone! I assume the owner wanted to change from 30A to 50A and decided to Jerry rig it...

I do see an access panel from the back which makes more sense now. There is also a plate in the floor next to the back window at the rear of the trailer. I'll take the panel off today and see!

I appreciate it.

Adding details.... Found a old YouTube video showing a model. Looks like I'm missing a cabinet in the middle and they just covered it up and tore out the wiring. I assume the wiring ran back through the little hole in the wall? Hidden by a center table?

We have the 2005 keystone mountaineer 335rlbs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240918_134659.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	272.3 KB
ID:	18200  
Old Yesterday, 09:49 PM   #6
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I can't speak to how the wiring was run. You will need one of the fellow Mountaineer owners to help with that.
I am confident the RV came with 50 amp service via the plug in the rear. Apparently someone has played with the wiring. Do you have two 50 amp breakers in the main power distribution panel?

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:36 PM   #7
Snowbound

M.O.C. #34840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
I can't speak to how the wiring was run. You will need one of the fellow Mountaineer owners to help with that.
I am confident the RV came with 50 amp service via the plug in the rear. Apparently someone has played with the wiring. Do you have two 50 amp breakers in the main power distribution panel?
I think you are right. Looks like he moved the wiring which is annoying. Found the wire cut in the wall.

Thanks everyone for the support! Think I have a path forward.