Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2024, 06:23 PM   #1
Gonefishing
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #33285
Water filter system install

I’m getting ready to do an install of a permanent water filter system blutech 3 canister system. Anyone done their own install and have any suggestions on do’s and don’t.

2021 Montana 3761fl pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Gonefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2024, 09:21 PM   #2
Bourbon County
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30449
I would highly recommend installing a tee fitting at the inlet and outlet, and install a pressure gauge in the bullhead of the tees. Those 2.5" X 5" filters have very little surface area, and coupled with the 0.2 micron elements supplied, they will clog pretty quickly. A glance at the gauges will show you if there's a pressure drop across the filters indicating a need for replacement.

Water utilities typically filter to 20 microns, in a multi-stage system, maybe a 5 micron first and into maybe a 2 micron for sediment and then a carbon block for taste seems like a good combo.
Bourbon County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2024, 09:23 AM   #3
Bourbon County
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30449
I've thought about my response and there's one other caveat to consider. Do you know if these filters are bypassing or not? A bypassing type filter will divert water around the element once it becomes clogged. If this is the case, the 2 gauges I recommended won't work. Even worse, it can become clogged and start bypassing and you might not even realize it and just be pumping straight utility water through. If the documentation doesn't mention bypassing, I think a call to the manufacturer would be a good idea.

What is your goal with the filter system, remove particles, improve taste, remove chlorine? As I mentioned before, a 0.2 micron filter element is way too small for general use like bathing, dish washing, laundry, and hand washing. A 5 micron is quite adequate for these uses. A carbon block filter is pretty effective in chlorine removal. If you're thinking about drinking and cooking, an RO unit under the sink and a small dedicated faucet just for drinking and cooking would be very nice. Starbucks uses a large RO system in their stores so the coffee is being brewed with the same water regardless of location and local water supply. If you really want to knock it out of the park, add a UV filter on the RO output. A UV doesn't help with taste but very effective on biologicals like viruses and bacteria. The biggest drawback here would likely be everyone in the campground coming over for a cup of your coffee.
Bourbon County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2024, 01:01 PM   #4
fatcatzzz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14438
Use filters with 3/4" inlet and outlets. This makes a great improvement on water flow. I also installed a ceramic filter under the sink and separate faucet for drinking water.
fatcatzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:18 AM   #5
ep4me
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #32135
Bourbon county no disrespect but I think you are over thinking it Muitlple stage system the first filter should plug first and also will get most of the particultate matter out. you can alway chage the filter for a different micron size if needed. Cysts and bacteria: For the removal of microscopic contaminants like cysts (e.g., Cryptosporidium, Giardia) and bacteria, water filters with micron ratings of 0.2 to 1 micron are recommended. These filters are designed to capture these small organisms and provide protection against waterborne diseases. RO membranes have the smallest pore size of all membrane filters, ranging from 0.0001 to 0.001 microns.

Water filters are not bypassed becaue that would defeat their whole purpose
ep4me is offline   Reply With Quote