Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2024, 08:42 AM   #1
ILOVEFISHINGEDISTO
Established Member

M.O.C. #33434
Suburban IW60 On Demand Hot Water Heater

We have a Montana Legacy. The hot water heater cycles on and off and won't stay on. You can hear the sparking occuring to ignite the propane, it fires, runs for 5 seconds or so, then quites, does this repeatedly. Water pressure is good, full tank of fresh propane. Propane stove top and oven as well as the propane heat all works correctly.
I'm thinking the flow sensor (senses water flow) or the two stage solenoid regulator.
Any assistance would be great. Thanks.

ILOVEFISHINGEDISTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 10:13 AM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
If you leave the hot water running continuous, does the burner stay lit and running? It is the problem with those water heaters that sufficient water flow is needed to make them work. Even a little trickle of water is not enough to keep them heating water.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 10:44 AM   #3
Bourbon County
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30449
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILOVEFISHINGEDISTO View Post
We have a Montana Legacy. The hot water heater cycles on and off and won't stay on. You can hear the sparking occuring to ignite the propane, it fires, runs for 5 seconds or so, then quites, does this repeatedly. Water pressure is good, full tank of fresh propane. Propane stove top and oven as well as the propane heat all works correctly.
I'm thinking the flow sensor (senses water flow) or the two stage solenoid regulator.
Any assistance would be great. Thanks.
Turn the water heater off, turn on a hot water tap somewhere preferably the shower with highest flow rate. If you're getting good flow of water there, it's not the flow sensor. The residential models have a flow regulator, don't think RV models do. That sensor is used to start the unit; I believe most require around 1 GPM flow rate to start.

If it fires but does not stay lit, that sounds like a flame sensor.
Bourbon County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 01:57 PM   #4
ILOVEFISHINGEDISTO
Established Member

M.O.C. #33434
Thanks. I few that the flow is strong. It hadn’t changed overnight. But I thought maybe it just isn’t reading the flow correctly. I’ll consider what you stated. Thank. You
Old 05-21-2024, 06:15 PM   #5
ILOVEFISHINGEDISTO
Established Member

M.O.C. #33434
I don’t show a “flame sensor” in a parts diagram. What would be another terminology for what your describing?
Old 05-21-2024, 06:32 PM   #6
ILOVEFISHINGEDISTO
Established Member

M.O.C. #33434
I see an electrode flame probe. It has the ceramic pieces around the igniter rods. But I hear it ticking and then igniting. Just doesn’t stay burning. I also see a probe temperature demand part.
Old 05-21-2024, 08:27 PM   #7
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
Ignitor/flame sensor for IW60 amd sight glass window to observe during ignition

Gap between ignitor tips is 1/8 inch..

Since it is sparking and lighting off ignitor is good.. whether flame sensor is detecting flame all the time is another issue..

I suspect it is but suspect the real issue may be with this vacuum sensor .. it has to stay closed during operation or WH will shut down

A short PDF I put together regarding the vacuum pressure switch ..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1335.jpeg
Views:	4
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	17165   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1336.jpeg
Views:	5
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	17166  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf IW60 and IW60RL air pressure switch test.pdf (1.36 MB, 6 views)
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 06:06 AM   #8
Bourbon County
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30449
The vacuum switch serves the same purpose as the sail switch in the furnaces; it proves combustion air flow. If it's not working, it would not try to ignite. True, it could be opening during the cycle. These things are notorious for getting condensate inside and failing; normally a total failure, not intermittent.

I'm not familiar with this model, most gas burners will turn the ignitor on and if it doesn't sense flame within a few seconds, it will turn off. If it does sense flame, it will turn the ignitor off, the flame should be self supporting at that point. The ignitor does not stay on during the entire burn. If the time between the ignition and shut down is consistent and repeatable, that to me points to the electrode flame probe.
Old 05-22-2024, 08:52 AM   #9
ILOVEFISHINGEDISTO
Established Member

M.O.C. #33434
I’m leaning toward replacing the electrode flame probe. Problem is the water heater is located right along the furnace wall area and the unit needs to come out just to get that access panel off. So I’d really like to do this only 1 time.
Old 05-22-2024, 10:26 AM   #10
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
It is easier than you think to take the unit out.
Remove the bulkhead wall.
Disconnect the gas line.
Disconnect the water lines.
Unplug the power and control wires.
There is a small angle bracket (maybe 2) screwed into the floor on the back of the unit. Take those off.
I can't remember how many screws hold it in place from the front???
I slid it out onto a TV tray to work on. It is not heavy.
When you first remove the basement wall and expose the rats nest of wires, ducts and pipes - it looks intimidating...see pic below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	water heater 3.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	17168   Click image for larger version

Name:	water heater 1.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	17169   Click image for larger version

Name:	water heater 2.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	17170  
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 07:51 PM   #11
ILOVEFISHINGEDISTO
Established Member

M.O.C. #33434
Update. I looked in the Venturi for a spider or bug obstruction. Saw none. I was able to unsecure it and turn it far enough to get that side panel off. I checked the pressure switch. It held suction and you could hear it clicking on and off. I also took the blue connectors off and turned on the heater. Connected them bypassing the pressure switch. It did the same as it was doing ticking starting, blue flame for 5 seconds or less. The more it tried to fire the less time it stayed on. I took the electrode flame probe out and wire brushed it, same result. I may be looking at a propane pressure issue. Any help is appreciated.
Old 05-23-2024, 09:57 AM   #12
Bourbon County
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30449
I'm pretty sure that flame sensor is a thermocouple, cleaning won't help it at all if it's faulty.

I understand jumpering out the vacuum switch for troubleshooting; PLEASE never try to run that water heater while the jumper is on. It can cause some very dangerous situations
Old 05-23-2024, 11:05 AM   #13
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILOVEFISHINGEDISTO View Post
Update. I looked in the Venturi for a spider or bug obstruction. Saw none. I was able to unsecure it and turn it far enough to get that side panel off. I checked the pressure switch. It held suction and you could hear it clicking on and off. I also took the blue connectors off and turned on the heater. Connected them bypassing the pressure switch. It did the same as it was doing ticking starting, blue flame for 5 seconds or less. The more it tried to fire the less time it stayed on. I took the electrode flame probe out and wire brushed it, same result. I may be looking at a propane pressure issue. Any help is appreciated.

Your rig, being a 2017, is old enough that the propane regulator could be the problem. It's a very easy job to just replace it. That water heater uses a large volume of gas so the regulator must be in good condition to provide plenty of gas to keep it working.
Old 05-23-2024, 01:13 PM   #14
ILOVEFISHINGEDISTO
Established Member

M.O.C. #33434
Where would I get a regulator on the camper? There are two of them, one in each 40 gallon tank.
Old 05-23-2024, 02:34 PM   #15
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
You will have the auto switching regulator on one side and the other will be the high pressure regulator that does not need to be replaced. One of these will work. I used the MEGR-253H which allows higher capacity of propane flow. https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=Awrj...KyfxMEIk9u_0U-
This is likely what the regulator looks like on the opposite side of the rig, and is just there to prevent propane vapor from condensing back into a liquid. https://www.etrailer.com/Propane-Fit...207-30325.html