Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2023, 04:12 PM   #1
Sr. Oso
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #31705
Seized compartment door locks on MHC 295RL

We started the spring wake up today by uncovering our MHC 295 RL. After taking the cover off, I decided to check the front compartments under the nose (batteries and extra storage). I replaced one of the turnbuckle lockers on each door last year with a keyed barrel lock. Long story short, the key goes in the slot but the lock doesn’t turn. I don't want to break the key off so I sprayed some penetrating oil in the lock.
I’m hoping that it will free up tomorrow. If not, does anyone have any experience freeing these up? Will i need to drill it out? Shove a screwdriver in the slot and break the lock? I don't want to mess up my door.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2021 RAM 2500 6.7 Cummins, Airlift 5000, PullRite Superglide #2315
Sr. Oso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 05:30 PM   #2
Rotnjonny
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #32150
We had a Class A previously and the locks on the front engine compartment would stick because of driving water into them as you went down the road. I used “Blast” a penetrating spray on them a few times each year to keep them operating. Even when they were seized up, if I would spray them and let it sit for a day or two, the tumblers would free up. Good luck !
Rotnjonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 04:48 AM   #3
Sr. Oso
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #31705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotnjonny View Post
We had a Class A previously and the locks on the front engine compartment would stick because of driving water into them as you went down the road. I used “Blast” a penetrating spray on them a few times each year to keep them operating. Even when they were seized up, if I would spray them and let it sit for a day or two, the tumblers would free up. Good luck !
Thanks for your encouragement. I pray the penetrating oil works. I’ll know later this morning when I drive to the RV to check it out.
Old 04-09-2023, 10:29 AM   #4
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
I had a similar issue on my front compartment doors. It wasn't the lock tumblers that were seized but rather the locking tab was seating too tight to the inside frame. Had to really apply some inward pressure right next to the latch as I turned the key or turnbuckel. Once I got it open discovered the locking tab was a bit corroded. Applied some Blast, cleaned it up real good with steel wool, and applied a dry silicon. Hasn't been a problem since.
Old 04-09-2023, 01:23 PM   #5
Sr. Oso
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #31705
Update:

Went to the rig earlier. I tried most of the suggested, non-destructive, fixes without success. Going to plan B, I inserted a screwdriver into the lock and turned. Although the lock was destroyed, I managed to open the compartment. I had to do this twice. Fortunately, I didn’t have to resort to plan C, drilling. I’ll get two replacements and install them with a little play between the door jamb and the locking bar.
On a side not, I now understand why locks keep out honest people. Someone with malice in mind would have defeated this lock in a second flat.

Thanks again to all the suggestions. Happy Easter, the Lord is risen!