Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2023, 09:09 AM   #1
RamMike
Established Member

M.O.C. #28289
Awning Adjustments for 295RL

Hello everyone, I hope this finds you well? I was curious about adjusting my awnings. I've never tried to adjust them so they are always up high and more apt to have wind issues. Is there any videos on how to adjust the awnings on our rigs? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Mike & Lisa Dennis
2021 Montana High Country 295RL 50 amp Prog. Ind. surge protector
2021 Ram Hemi 4X4 CC TST 507 RockTamers Garmin RV780 GPS
RamMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 10:10 AM   #2
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I'm not sure what kind of "adjustment" you are wanting or needing. Here's what's going on with mine and how I (kind of) solved a similar aggrivation.

Frist, repositioning the awning itself, attached to the camper is not an option. New holes drilled, new placement .... nope.... not gonna' happen. Besides, logistically, there is no where to move it.

Second, the awning itself is pretty much fixed also. It opens and closes only a specific way. It's height and alignment is also fixed, unless somehow was able to cut a few inches off the arms (which isn't going to happen either.)

Third, my problem was just reaching the awning arm (from the ground) to be able to even pull it down and tighten the knob so the awning had some lean to it (for rain run off). The thing is so high, I can't reach it without a ladder.

I discovered that the awning arms could be reached through the closest window. This allowed me reach out and pull the arms in and then I could tighten the knob to create a lean for rain. But, even this was challenging.

Then an idea hit me, which has worked great ever since!

I attached two awning straps on the roller, one for each end, and placed them near the ends of the roller. I try not to roll the awning completely out, making the arms go straight. I like to keep them bent just a little. This also keeps the slide track on the awning roller under the actual awning. This keeps the straps from sliding too:

Next, I use some kind of wire. In the photo below, I happened to have these at home. They were ground stakes and they work out nice because they are thick. I started doing this with metal tent stakes, but they were too soft and would bend. I tried wire coat hanger too. Again, too soft. I did finally stumble into some really heavy metal tent pegs and they worked great... but I ended up loosing them. So, found these at home and they work great. They are actually longer than what needs to be, but, maybe these won't get lost in the future:

What I do next is to pull down on the awning straps and use the loop at the end of the strap. I then insert the tent peg, or ground stake into the holes on the end and bottom of the awning rails attached to the trailer. This works GREAT!

Doing it this way, I can pull the awning downward without having to climb a ladder. I also do not have to use the knob on the awning arm to tighten it down.

Now, when I need the awning sloped downward, I can use the strap, secure it to the bottom of the awning rail, and rain flows freely. I can tilt both sides or only 1 side if I want to. I usually tilt both.

I know, my awning has the automatic rain dump on it. But when that thing dumps, it's dumps a swimming pool full of water and then the awning goes back up with a horrible "pop". I prefer to have the rain drip off as it rains and not pool any more.

So, I don't know what solution you are looking for, but if simply reaching the awning to tilt it is just way too high, here's a possible solution for you.

Good luck.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote