Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Brrr it's cold outside! Winter Camping
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-04-2014, 01:42 AM   #1
TYR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9976
Update

Well, we're froze up this morning.

Something's frozen - pipes and/or water pump.

No water flowing upon arising. Turned off outside valves - thank goodness they weren't frozen. (Dave has them heat taped, insulated and a shop drop light hanging over it.) Some water did flow through faucets but still none on the hot side. I really don't think it's the HWH check valve as mentioned in my other post; most likely this is cold-related.

DILEMMA: Unsure if there is still water in the HWH. Don't know whether to turn it off to prevent burnout or turn it on to propane to keep it from totally freezing up if there's water. Sounds like a danged if you do/danged if ya don't situation to me. Guess I could go try the high-pressure relief valve and see if anything comes out.

Turned on water pump and it did not run. So that's frozen.

Took off compartment wall to expose pump; have a fan-type heater running in there.

So by draining some water out of the pipes, perhaps we'll avoid any leaks when things thaw out. I'm pleased there was some flow. Well, until it stopped completely.

Good news is that we went through this in December 2010 when parked by a lake while workamping (I mean right on the lake with howling winds and consistent below-freezing temps. We lasted there about a month and, when promised wages never materialized, we boogied outta there and went to warmer conditions.

Other good news is that we have a bathroom in the office trailer and there's water still going there! Yay!

Guess you could say more good news is that I won't be doing a lot of cooking - at least the kind that creates a lot of dishwashing - till we thaw out.

I am also convinced that we will have to seriously look at rigging up some type of skirting if not for the rest of this Winter but for next if we are still here. It will have to be relatively quick on/off but yet still able to withstand the winds we get here. Look for me searching topics on that and posting about soliciting ideas in the future.

Not optimistic we will thaw out till next week - high around 25 today and then a rain/ice/snow event tomorrow into Monday. Oh well. We're warm, have food/shelter/warm clothes and a working bathroom we can use! I'm a 2-time cancer survivor and no one has said "You're cancer's back," so - hey - Life is good!

Cheers, ya'll
Betty

TYR is offline   Reply With Quote