Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-02-2016, 12:03 AM   #1
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Very unhappy with new AC system!

We've only had our new Montana about 8 weeks now and have camped in it 3 times, but have noticed a huge "let down" with the new AC system in the rigs. Sure they are more quiet as advertised, but they DO NOT work well on only 30A. Let me explain. We've only been able to kepp the rig at about 10* lower than ambient air on the last two trips due to our state parks being only 30A here. The rear AC unit puts out cold air, but has no "pressure" to it. With only 6 vents in the main part of the camper, no cold volume is possible. During our trips, I've had to run the generator with both units on to cool down the unit, before switching back to just the rear air. Other things we've done is to run both AC units on 30a with NOTHING else in the camper on. That works until you need something else on in the unit. Also, I've used floor fans to circulate the air. I've had the unit at the dealer for the last week to see if there is a problem. They've taken the unit off and patched a couple of small places in the duct at the unit, with tape to stop any air leaking, but still not much luck. I've had two other new campers in the last 5 years with the "quick cool" feature and have never had a problem.
The dealer made sure that both AC units were drawing the same amperage and both units have the same fan speed. The only thing we've been able to come up with is to run the rear unit on AC and then turn on the front AC unit on with FAN ONLY to help circulate the air while on 30a. I'm learning that this in not a problem for Montana alone as FR is using this system now too. The Sandpiper that was in the dealership this week had the same system and the owner was quite unhappy after being in FL the previous week and not being able to keep his unit cool as well.
We are leaving for Myrtle Beach in a week but we will have 50A and I'm not expecting any problems, but will let you know. I'm really disappointed with this system on 30A service however. Wondering if any of you have had similar problems?