Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-23-2012, 05:43 AM   #1
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
Inverter Bypass Switch

I'm adding solar and re-powering the coach I've got most of the parts now on site and doing the last little bit of design work prior to starting to install everything and have a last minute question.

Does anybody have an inverter bypass wired into their system?

If so - how did you do it?

I just received a Magnum 2012 inverter which has 60 amp pass thru. My Coach has 50a 4-wire service.

My plan was to simply wire the inverter inline between where the shore power comes in, and the a/c panel. I plan on doing that by leaving the shore power connected to the panel, but cut the incoming shore power line before the panel and splice the inverter into the circuit one way or another.

Magnum suggests that you put in a bypass so that you can easily isolate the inverter.

I can think that one way to do it would be to use shore power plugs on the inverter in and out sides. If I needed to isolate the inverter I could unplug it and plug in a jumper made for the purpose and bypass the inverter. While simple - it doesn't seem the cleanest.

I've googled Inverter bypass switch and see a square D 60 amp bypass switch (breaker box) but not sure if that is what I need. I have two hot leads and it looks like the bypass breaker only has one.

Anybody have some thoughts on the subject.
Gkerlin is offline   Reply With Quote