Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-05-2017, 08:23 PM   #1
jeff_banning
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20129
2018 Montana 3950BR Nightmare... your opinions please.

We decided just before the holidays that we wanted to work more from our camping spot on the lake and have some additional room for the grand kids. We saw the Montana 3950BR at a RV show with the office and king loft and went to Camping World in Lowell Arkansas looking specifically for this model. 4 hours later we had traded our 2011 Open Range 316RLS for a 2018 Montana 3950BR... we are told it is the "best". 3 days later went back and picked up our new camper, did the walk through, left as "Happy Campers"

The Nightmare begins -
We get home, open it up to start putting all of our stuff in and immediately notice a deep scratch in the linoleum and looking under the slide a cut in the material under the slide. I take pictures and text salesman and know they left something on the floor (I suspect a screw near the theater seat they were working on) that caused this. Salesman promises call back from service... no call, next day no call and I call again at noon, finally a call at 4:45 day two. Service says, we can patch your linoleum... I say OH Hell NO. I call salesman, tell him to manufacture defect it and get me a new unit. He refuses, I escalate to management, get same story.

I have family coming in from 600 miles away and a camping spot reserved so I have to leave... the Nightmare continues...
Camping spot (like 75-85% of all lake spots) is 30A so I hook up with my adapter, crank on the rear air, and by noon it is 89 outside and screaming hot inside. Montana thermostat does not show inside temp, only set temp so off to town to get indoor outdoor digital thermometer. 2 hours later I see it is 89 outside and 86 inside. When it hits 93 outside and 90 inside we have to leave for the day because we can't take it. One air unit on will only scrub 3 degrees. This is our 3rd dual air 50A unit and never have we had to run the front air to keep the main cabin livable. Multiple calls to Camping World Service and I can't get help, then a call to KeyStone and Camping World sends out tech.

Nightmare Won't Stop -
In the interim, I get milk out of the refrigerator and find it is warm... fridge on max is 52 degrees inside and freeze pops put in 3 days earlier and not frozen.

Tech shows up, says air is fine, it is blowing at 50 degrees but agrees inside is hotter than hell says camper requires both airs operating because it is a common duct. We try adding front air fan only, and lose another 2 degrees. Running front A/C pops 30A breaker as I knew it would. Then tech tries to tell me 52 in fridge is within range but agrees freeze pops are not frozen. Then I google fridge temps and show him the FDA recommends no less than 40 degrees fridge and zero freezer.

Horror show goes on... family is coming in so I see my power pole has two 30 amp breakers and a 20 amp.. off to Home Depot. $105 later I have the material to make 2 30A males into a 50A female splitting the poles as needed. One hour later I have both airs running and high hopes..., it is a NO GO. Next day it hits 95 and it is 85-87 in camper, both air on and I can only scrub 7-10 degrees. Then my freaking front air quits, thermostat now reads 13 degrees and air is cycling on and off. Resetting it does no good, still shows 13 degrees (front only drops to 55 at lowest setting) so I know thermostat has lost its mind.

We struggle through holiday and drop camper at Camping World, guy says "maybe" have it back in 2 weeks.

My vacations are ruined, my wife and I are sick at guts over this purchase, and Camping World is the absolute worst.

So sorry for the saga, but what is your experiences with Camping World and anyone have a 3950BR, does your camper stay cool with one air or even two when temps hit close to 100. Oh, our camping spot was lakeside and shady most of the day.

Thanks - Jeff
jeff_banning is offline   Reply With Quote