Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-09-2023, 02:10 PM   #1
tjblocker
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23122
A nightmare Monty

About 15 months ago my wife and I purchased a new 3231CK. My wife and I have come to hate the lack of quality control in this unit. Is is truly a piece of crap.

Here's some of the problems we had. No 11 is especially troubling. I'm currently waiting on a call from the vet to tell me if our dog is going to survive the latest monty failure/surprise.

1) Living room slide floor came detached from the slide out and destroyed the floor. Repaired under warranty.
2) Replaced living room flooring. Also repaired under warranty
3) Bedroom slide out came off the rollers destroying the floor. The floor and the slide out were repaired under warranty. I expected to be blamed for this but wasn't.

4) Several of the wet bolts were clogged and wouldn’t take grease. All 14 wet bolts were replaced under warranty
5) four of the day/night shade broke and wouldn’t roll up. These were replaced under warranty. Another blind came detached and feel to the couch. It pulled the screws out. I will have to fix this one.Too late for warranty.

6) Oven door won’t close completely. Using the oven makes the house very very hot. Not covered under warranty. I was blamed though I know I didn’t damage it.The only repair is to replace range.

7) Bedroom head of the bed outlets don’t work. I didn’t discover this until it was too late
8) My Norcold 2118 is a piece of crap. When 100 degrees outside the fridge would be 50 degrees and freezer would be over 20. I researched and found lots of people with the same complaints. That cooling unit was never going to work so I upgraded to a JC Refrigeration 12 volt vapor compression compressors. This worked perfectly but it costs several thousand
9) The original drum brakes just barely worked. They couldn't lock a wheel on gravel. I complained but was told to burnish them. I did so many many times but it made no difference. Wanting better braking I upgraded to disc brakes. Once again, several 1000 dollars.

10) The light under the kitchen sink never goes out. This is still a problem that I keep putting off

11) This morning 3 sections of the molding around the living room came detached and fell to the floor. One section landed on our 5lb chihuahua causing a bleeding head wound. We don’t know if she will survive, but she’s at the hospital for at least the night. I’m not confident she will survive. Her eyes were crazy dilated. She can’t stand and we struggled to keep her awake. I don't think anyone was home when we spoke to her.

12) Handles on the shower door came off. The set screw hole is broken so it can’t be fixed. I have to get a new handle
13) The trailer came with a TPMS, but I couldn’t get signals on two tires. I purchased a booster only to discover that a booster is already installed. The TPMS will probably never work, but I sure paid for it.
14) We have a love seat but one of the seats won’t stay connected to the center console. One chair moves all over the place and I’m always pulling it away from the wall. These chairs wear out quickly. The material comes delaminated.

This next one was my fault, but I did have the help of the trailer’s leveling system. If you push auto level the first thing that is done is the nose is lowered as far as possible. This seemingly needless step is always a surprise. I once accidentally parked the truck too close to the trailer and the front cap came down on the bed rail corner and broke the front cap. I’m sure this will cost 1000s to fix. As a software engineer I always prescribed to the idea of "The Principle of least astonishment". Seeing the trailer lowered to the ground is a surprise.

I paid 90k cash for this very loaded fiver and it is a total piece of **** that’s not under warranty any longer. Oh how we wish we had bought another Arctic Fox. We got burned. Never again

I’m sure this isn’t all.

Keystone needs to think about assembling a team that knows something about quality control.

p { line-height: 115%; margin-bottom: 0.1in; background: transparent }
B&W puck system hitch
tjblocker is offline   Reply With Quote