Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2023, 02:33 PM   #21
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Dry weight is about the same. You're 1.5 feet longer. You can carry 2K more then me thanks to the 12" frame. The electric can lift it off the ground. The hydraulics are because of the additional 2K load capacity. Because of the huge bed/bath slide I would have liked a 6 point though.

Old 07-30-2023, 07:40 PM   #22
TomCat
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22648
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
Interesting conversation. I purchased my Montana High Country based on the floor plan. It just happened to come with electric jacks and electric cable slides.

Electric jacks just don't have the "umph" to actually lift the wheels off the ground. Maybe they do, but the struggle so much, I'm fearful the gears will break. So, I've learned and just continued to do it the way I always did my previous travel trailers, level first as close as possible with boards under the tires. Then the Auto Level will do just that ... level ... without lifting anything off the ground.

As stated above, no messy hydraulic fluid to deal with. I totally agree on this point though: Each system has it's own advantages and it's disadvantages, none are perfect!
My electric jacks will definitely lift the rig off the ground. I have (perhaps foolishly) lifted up one side and put jack stands under the frame as a safety precaution to remove the wheels and repack the bearings. As rohermann alluded to, once the rig is lifted you are lifting the whole rig minus the weight of the wheel and suspension on that side, so what are you really preventing by having the wheel still contact the ground? Not trying to argue - it’s a legit question I have.
TomCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 07:45 PM   #23
bsdf200
Established Member

M.O.C. #33034
So how many of you use your hydraulic leveling jacks to change a tire or do bearing work?
bsdf200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 09:47 PM   #24
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I always use the hydraulic jacks to lift the trailer for tires, lube, bearings, brakes, etc.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 12:33 AM   #25
Camp-a-Palooza
Established Member

M.O.C. #32726
I have a permanent site and have had 2 fivers on it. 1st a 2022 Cougar 290RLS with the 4 pt. electric auto leveling system and it would lift the right side tires off the ground a couple of inches. I thought the system was in error but more importantly the wife freaked out and refused to get on while the wheels were off the ground so I would manually adjust those wheels so they would touch the ground without lifting the trailer.

I then put my 2022 3231CK with the 6pt. hydraulic system on the site and it did the same thing, lifting the same 2 tires off the ground a couple of inches.
So now I think these auto leveling systems are accurate and with the IMO more robust 6 pt. hydraulic lift system I have no problem with the wheels off the ground, but then there is still the wife to contend with!
Camp-a-Palooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 10:12 PM   #26
Patrolcheck

M.O.C. #32862
Funny thing I have seen my trailer tires get lifted on the ground several times. Never thought anything about it.

A first for me this week was the front driver side Jack lifted off the ground. Trailer struggled to level itself all together. Never seen this, so I re hooked up to truck and placed blocks under some of the jacks that were extended quite a bit.

I question how some manually level when jacks are down. I fear the jacks which are down will bend the frame and not give.
Patrolcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 12:03 AM   #27
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrolcheck View Post
Funny thing I have seen my trailer tires get lifted on the ground several times. Never thought anything about it.

A first for me this week was the front driver side Jack lifted off the ground. Trailer struggled to level itself all together. Never seen this, so I re hooked up to truck and placed blocks under some of the jacks that were extended quite a bit.

I question how some manually level when jacks are down. I fear the jacks which are down will bend the frame and not give.

What year and model rig do you have?
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 08:12 AM   #28
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrolcheck View Post

Put blocks under the low side wheels prior to leveling. Try to be as level side to side before leveling and use blocks under the legs for additional stability and stroke.
Old 08-10-2023, 10:11 AM   #29
Patrolcheck

M.O.C. #32862
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
What year and model rig do you have?
I have a 2021 3760FL
Patrolcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 04:09 PM   #30
GetGone
Established Member

M.O.C. #32781
For those that say they don't mind having the wheels off the ground once level .... how long would you feel safe being parked like this without causing any damage to the trailers suspension?
GetGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 04:33 PM   #31
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I have parked like that for over a month in one place. I don't understand why having a wheel off the ground would cause damage to the suspension.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 04:37 PM   #32
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
I would say indefinitely. Some store vehicles on jacks with tires off the ground to preserve suspension.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 06:29 PM   #33
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
With the six point hydraulic system, you have 60,000 lbs of jack capacity, and what, maybe up to 18,000 lbs worth of trailer, well over three times capacity to support the rig, so definitely not even coming close to risking any damage due to load on the jacks. I've had our rig fully in the air for almost a week years ago doing brake replacement and it never budged. Had it in the air at Coos Bay for two days getting disc brakes installed and again, never moved.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 07:59 PM   #34
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
As a retired hydraulic mechanic. I was taught to never leave unnecessary pressure on a cylinder. They most certainly have the ability to lift and hold but.... let's assume for a second that a valve or hose fails. Not to mention that unnecessary pressure on the cylinder packing will eventually take it's toll.
Old 08-24-2023, 08:32 PM   #35
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Tony,

Please correct me if I have this wrong but it seems like there is pressure on the system and jacks anytime it is being used to level the rig.

I just returned from a ten week trip with the jacks always down with pressure to keep the rig leveled.

I hear of more problems when they sit for long periods without use.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 08:44 AM   #36
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Traveler View Post
Tony,

Please correct me if I have this wrong but it seems like there is pressure on the system and jacks anytime it is being used to level the rig.

I just returned from a ten week trip with the jacks always down with pressure to keep the rig leveled.

I hear of more problems when they sit for long periods without use.
You're correct. They're pressurized when extended. They're designed to operate as you're using them. My point is that you increase the risk of hydraulic failure if you add unnecessary constant load. This would also apply to an electric leveling system. By supporting the axles you reduce the pressure in the cylinder and hoses. Why take the chance? This from google.

It's best not to leave a hydraulic cylinder under load for any extended length of time, especially if it could result in a bad consequence. This goes for floor jacks as well. A lot of hydraulic jacks where the cylinder is just a part of the assembly, like a motorcycle lift, have a safety lock for that reason.

You're also correct that a hydraulic system as well as any mechanical thing should be exercised on a regular basis to prevent seizing or drying out. The seals and o-ring in a hydraulic system will dry out if not used and start to leak. The same thing will occur with an engine.

I had a forklift hoist that had a 60000 lb capacity. It had safety legs that extended when under a load. So if there was a failure the mechanic would have a chance to escape. It scared the crap out of me the first few time I stood under it with a 20000 lb forklift above me. One time an apprentice raised the lift with a forklift on it and forgot to extend the safety legs and left it up overnight. Returned the next morning to find the forklift on it's side on the ground. One of the ram seals had failed and boom.
Old 08-25-2023, 02:38 PM   #37
jpwhite
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foldbak View Post
You're correct. ... My point is that you increase the risk of hydraulic failure if you add unnecessary constant load. This would also apply to an electric leveling system. By supporting the axles you reduce the pressure in the cylinder and hoses. Why take the chance?

... I had a forklift hoist that had a 60000 lb capacity. It had safety legs that extended when under a load. So if there was a failure the mechanic would have a chance to escape.
This is a good point. LCI is very clear that the jacks are not intended for use in lifting the RV for maintenance or repairs. Yet, most of us have probably used the jacks to lift the RV to change tires, etc. About a year ago, I picked up a couple of heavy-duty jack stands. I can lift the RV with the jacks and use the stands to support the RV so I can do things like repack the bearings with peace of mind.
jpwhite is offline   Reply With Quote