Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2024, 02:01 PM   #1
ancient_mariner

M.O.C. #34583
RV noob: Montana 295RL

Hi all -

Wife & I are building a house and are gonna live in an RV for about a year. We're 2 weeks in and it's been an adventure!

I really only have 1 question. We're in FL, so it's *hot* -- I covered the windows w/ Reflectix and the RV is parked under a carport.

But it is a STRUGGLE to keep it cool. I have 2 units - 1 in front and 1 in back. I'd been treating them like zones and keeping bedroom door shut but seems like the better move is to run both? It seems like when either runs, cool air comes from registers all over the coach.

Anyway, nice to meet everyone.

ancient_mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2024, 02:37 PM   #2
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Dan,

Run them both. The ductwork between each area is connected on my models.

Welcome to the forum!

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2024, 04:36 PM   #3
Jay & Bobbie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #32306
AZ is right.
Additionally, look to see if the front unit has a slide in the outlet that you can adjust the air flow, more in the bedroom or more in the duct. If so, play with that till it balances.
Jay & Bobbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2024, 06:35 AM   #4
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Remove your air returns and check for collapsed duct work. This was a problem on older models (2017 and older). You can do a search on fixes for that. Monty wrote a good one.
Cut the return opening to match your plastic covers. Use AC foil duct tape to seal the edges.
While you have it open look for gaps in the foil.
Close the gaps.
Remove the vents. Make sure to flange (neck) does not protrude too far into the duct (blocks airflow).
If you have fins on your vents, cut out every other fin.
All these things will increase airflow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AC air return cut out.jpg
Views:	847
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	17792   Click image for larger version

Name:	AC return duct hole into the attic.jpg
Views:	796
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	17793   Click image for larger version

Name:	AC return duct new tape.jpg
Views:	849
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	17794   Click image for larger version

Name:	AC Air duct neck reduction vent registers.jpg
Views:	793
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	17795  
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2024, 07:40 AM   #5
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Welcome aboard! And congrats on your new adventure. Overall the 295RL will take good care of you. However, the AC units are limited. Typically you can expect about a 20 degree difference between inside and outside temp when the AC's are performing as they should. In the shade as you are they might do a little better.

As stated, unhindered air flow is the key. If you have the Whisper Quiet system that Daryles is referencing then by all means check the air returns. I used some 1 1/4" ABS pipe to open ours up. But if you have the Coleman AC's with the interior covers then you can open those up to check that the plenum is well aligned and that all outgoing air is moving into the coach. Depending on plenum style there are aids to improve air flow through the plenum and increase air volume into the coach.

Systems like this https://rvairflow.com/
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2024, 08:32 AM   #6
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
As stated above, it's OK to run both. Both are connected to the same duct work.

After 5 years of ownership, I finally covered the AC vent in the bathroom, which was always extremely cold and the rest of the camper was just ... "oh ... so, so." Once I blocked that bathroom vent, it was a 100% difference. Air pushed out to the rest of the camper and things got cold! The bathroom is in the middle of the camper, so it stays comfortable with the vent blocked.

Working with your vents a little will help keep the temperatures consistent through the entire camper, same as a house. But it does take time and some trail and error to get everything balanced well. But once you do, life gets much more enjoyable.

Keep both AC turned on. Ours is 41 feet long, bedroom in the rear, front living room. I have found the second thing that works well is to keep the bedroom (rear) set at about 72 and the living room and open kitchen (front) set on about 70. Why? Because the bedroom will get too cold too fast and then shut down, not pumping air to the rest of the camper, making the front one do all the work. By setting the temps just a little higher in the small room (where the thermostat for that AC is located), keeps the room from getting so cold, and let the AC push the air without cycling on-off so much. It stays on more, keeping the temps consistent through the entire camper. (hope this makes sense).

Good luck! Enjoy the camper! They all have a learning curve! You'll get there!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2024, 11:18 AM   #7
Gonefishing
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #33285
Run them both but you like I are going to have issues keeping cool on those 100 + degree days. At best I get 20-25 degree difference in the outside temp to inside. Keep shade pulled lights off when not needed run a fan in the bedroom and living area that will help and cook outside if you can.
2021 Montana 3761fl pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Gonefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2024, 08:58 PM   #8
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Lightbulb

Welcome to the MOC. I have the same unit. Unfortunately you can only expect 20 to 25 degrees difference between outside ambient temps and inside temps. I recently went through the same scenario. It was 105 out side an I could only get my inside temps to 90 degrees running both 15 BTU Coleman's. I removed the filters and ALL of the vents. At last I could feel cold air. I don't have a restriction. It is what it is! I hear that Furion has a new AC that is worth looking at. They make direct and ducked.

https://corporate.lippert.com/produc...ion-chill-cube
Old 07-24-2024, 03:24 PM   #9
RichardMor
Established Member

M.O.C. #33110
Just offering an option in case it gets too frustrating for you. My wife and I are doing the same thing - living in our Montana while we build a house. We'll probably be 18 months or so because of the work we needed to do to the property before construction. We've been at it about a year and our foundation just got poured, walls start on Monday. Our front AC would not keep the place cool, especially on 100+F days. Since we have no intent to move the 5th wheel for a long time, we installed a mini-split. Ho-boy! What a difference. Actually can get it too cold. It's very efficient and takes the extra moisture out. This one also has heat for the colder days. Install was quick and easy. Total cost for unit and install was $900. As I said, an option to ponder.

Rich
Central Texas
RichardMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2024, 04:55 PM   #10
VagabondLove
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #27665
I found that adding two new intakes, and propping up the intake ductwork really made a difference in airflow. https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=83870

Tailoring the outflow vents to ‘catch’ the output air also helped.
FlexArmor roof 2021, Starlink
VagabondLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2024, 05:49 AM   #11
morrdoll

M.O.C. #23751
How close are the units to the underside of the carport? They need good airflow. I'm sure it's pretty hot under a metal roof.
morrdoll is offline   Reply With Quote