Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > Forum Help | Announcements | Suggestion Box
Click Here to Login

Old 09-24-2024, 03:35 PM   #1
Skp2366

M.O.C. #34231
Highpoint microwave door

I have an over the range highpoint microwave on my 2016 3790RD 5TH WHEEL. MODEL #EC942K9E. The door inside plastic window has cracked and shattered. Can't seem to find a replacement window or perhaps a complete new door. Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Is it safe to use with cracked interior window?

Skp2366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2024, 05:18 PM   #2
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Leo,

Welcome to the forum!

It is fairly easy to replace the microwave. We didn't use the convection oven so I replaced with a residential GE model without convection for around $200.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2024, 07:18 PM   #3
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Welcome aboard.

You will probably spend more to fix it than you would to replace it. My son just bought a MW for his RV at WM for $80. This is the budget model so you may spend more, but I bet a new door (if you could find it) would be cost prohibitive. Besides, even though mine still works, I'm not convinced that a High Point is a quality unit. When it dies, it will get replaced with a name brand unit.

I can't tell you if it is safe or not; I would replace it.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2024, 05:37 PM   #4
Skp2366

M.O.C. #34231
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Traveler View Post
Leo,

Welcome to the forum!

It is fairly easy to replace the microwave. We didn't use the convection oven so I replaced with a residential GE model without convection for around $200.
Thank you for your reply. Do you have model # for that microwave. Thanks a lot.
Old 09-25-2024, 05:42 PM   #5
Skp2366

M.O.C. #34231
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz View Post
Welcome aboard.

You will probably spend more to fix it than you would to replace it. My son just bought a MW for his RV at WM for $80. This is the budget model so you may spend more, but I bet a new door (if you could find it) would be cost prohibitive. Besides, even though mine still works, I'm not convinced that a High Point is a quality unit. When it dies, it will get replaced with a name brand unit.

I can't tell you if it is safe or not; I would replace it.
Thank you. That seems to be the consensus. Thank you for your response
It helped with my decision.
Old 09-25-2024, 08:49 PM   #6
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skp2366 View Post
Thank you for your reply. Do you have model # for that microwave. Thanks a lot.
I am on the road and will not be back to the rig in 10 days or so. If you take the dimensions of yours and go into one of the big box stores you will find several that will fit. It is a two person job to lift it out and lift the new one in.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2024, 05:20 AM   #7
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
In a previous camper, I replaced the microwave. It was located above the stove in a cabinet, not like the newer ones that are suspended from the wall and the bottom of the microwave is the vent for the stove top. So, replacement was pretty easy.

I did not replace with an exact match. The replacement was just a tad smaller than the original and then I had to figure out how to anchor it down so it would not move around. I ended up drilling holes through the bottom of that cabinet and then was able to run two screws from under into the 2 front feet of the microwave.

Because the new unit was smaller than the original, I replaced all the original trim and just left a gap between the microwave and the trim. When completely installed, it actually looked pretty good. That gap was not an offensive look, and when done, actually looked like it belonged.

Total cost? just the cost of the new microwave from Wall Mart and a couple of long bolts.

Microwaves are disposable items now. They are cheap enough now that it's just more cost effective to purchase a new one than attempt to repair an older one.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote