Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2005, 02:48 PM   #81
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
John -

Dometic shipped a whole replacement system to my dealer - thermostat, wall unit and control board (for in the ceiling at the AC). Before I could get it installed, I saw a lot of people have been getting Dometic's new Duotherm system as a replacement. So, I contacted Dometic to find out whether or not I would be better off with their new Duo Therm Digital system or putting in the replacement like I already had. Dometic asked that I install the replacement remote system first to see if it worked better. It didn't, so I hope to have the new Duo Therm system for installation next weekend. I hope that Keystone switches the new units over to the Duo Therm unit. Between the remote thermostat system and the Qwest stereo, Keystone has two items that need improvement - fast.

Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 10:58 AM   #82
Montana_2342
Established Member

M.O.C. #2342
Watching this posting with much interest I was sent a new cable too and have yet to try it. Dometic has been very helpful so I am keeping my finger crossed, I will send out an update when my "testing" is complete.

Hey I thought you got free gear to be a product tester - ha ha
Montana_2342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 11:58 AM   #83
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
MB3
Barney,
When you got your cable, was it 18' long or 8" long.
The one I got today is 8" long, but the shipping slip said it was suppose to be 18'.
Have a call into Bob, and waiting.
Keep us posted on your test, mine will be another week.
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 12:09 PM   #84
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by carlson

MB3
Barney,
The one I got today is 8" long, but the shipping slip said it was suppose to be 18'.
Maybe it is like the remote system, and you have to subtract 10 from the setting! 18-10=8. Sorry, i could not resist!
mazeeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 12:48 PM   #85
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
Mike,
That was good!!!
Hey, the other day when it got up to med 40's and I put the heat on when working in the trailer, I noticed the temperature was only off by 5 degrees.
So therefor when it get's up to mid 50's I should only be off by 2 1/2 degrees.
So therefore when it it gets up to mid 60 degress, it should be right on, but quess what, I don't need the heat at mid 60. SYSTEM FIXED.
I am not smaking them, they are try to answer the problems
The paperwork was right, wrong product shipped.
I don't mind having to do some work, but just send me the right tools
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 01:10 PM   #86
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Mike -

The subtract 10 was great, speaking as someone who has been having to add 10 to the thermostat for the last 8 months. Maybe I add ten and its been 18 months.
Old 03-29-2005, 01:11 AM   #87
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by carlson

MB3
Barney,
Just FYI. This cable, which looks like a standard telephone cable, is wired differently. One of the two connectors is flipped over, which reverses the wires. I originally thought that you could just purchase a long telephone extension cable, and use it, until I read the service manual and saw how it is wired.
Old 03-30-2005, 12:40 PM   #88
tractor
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3421
I sent an e mail to dometic from the link here asking if this problem could be solved while my unit is being built or parts sent to my dealer to fix befor i get my unit.Here is there reply.
Quote:
quote:
George,
We are writing in regards to the control system for your new Keystone coach. The questions and concerns that you are reading about aren't across the board. This situation has only been found on some of the floor plans, and is normally a result of the location of the receiver. There is no need to be overly concerned that you will run into this issue, and if a problem should occur with the control system we will be able to resolve the issue. We encourage you to keep in touch if for some reason the unit isn't performing properly. Please feel free to contact us if you have any additional questions or concerns.

tractor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 01:49 PM   #89
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by tractor

I sent an e mail to dometic from the link here asking if this problem could be solved while my unit is being built or parts sent to my dealer to fix befor i get my unit.Here is there reply.
Quote:
quote:
George,
We are writing in regards to the control system for your new Keystone coach. The questions and concerns that you are reading about aren't across the board. This situation has only been found on some of the floor plans, and is normally a result of the location of the receiver. There is no need to be overly concerned that you will run into this issue, and if a problem should occur with the control system we will be able to resolve the issue. We encourage you to keep in touch if for some reason the unit isn't performing properly. Please feel free to contact us if you have any additional questions or concerns.
I received a similar response although via a telephone call. The tech. I spoke to seemed to have the idea that the problem that people are having is with the "spread" between the "on" and "off" cycle. I had a hard time convincing him that so far as I knew almost everyone was reporting an inaccurate set point temperature.

He did agree to send me a complete new remote system, but that is not really what I want.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 03:58 PM   #90
mjcjtroy
Established Member

M.O.C. #1969
I find it hard to believe that it is only with a few models and where the receiver is placed. If you look back at all 9 pages of discussion on this forum there sure are a lot of different models that are having the same problem. We have had our Comfort Control for several weeks now and have not had one single problem. I say get rid of the remote system and put this problem to rest.
mjcjtroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 01:39 AM   #91
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mjcjtroy

I find it hard to believe that it is only with a few models and where the receiver is placed. If you look back at all 9 pages of discussion on this forum there sure are a lot of different models that are having the same problem. We have had our Comfort Control for several weeks now and have not had one single problem. I say get rid of the remote system and put this problem to rest.
Totally agree. I replaced mine and problem is resolved. The email you got back from Dometic is pure BS! Forget using email, and call them direct. Tell them you want the Comfort control and NO excuses!
Old 04-02-2005, 01:23 PM   #92
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
First, Mike, thanks for the description and pictures. Installed my new DuoTherm today and did not have anything but self-inflicted issues. I will write Dometic to thank them this weekend. John - I have had two complete sets of the remote system in my 3400, plus another wall unit, all without resolving the "10 degree set point issue". I think Dometic thinks it is the spread between where it goes on and off that's the issue. The issue that I hear over and over and that I experienced is that when set at 72 degrees, it shuts off at 62 in furnace mode and need to set to 82 degrees in summer to get the A/C to turn off. Maybe that's why it's taken so long to resolve this issue - there isn't a clear problem statement.
Old 04-02-2005, 01:37 PM   #93
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rames14

First, Mike, thanks for the description and pictures. Installed my new DuoTherm today and did not have anything but self-inflicted issues. I will write Dometic to thank them this weekend. John - I have had two complete sets of the remote system in my 3400, plus another wall unit, all without resolving the "10 degree set point issue". I think Dometic thinks it is the spread between where it goes on and off that's the issue. The issue that I hear over and over and that I experienced is that when set at 72 degrees, it shuts off at 62 in furnace mode and need to set to 82 degrees in summer to get the A/C to turn off. Maybe that's why it's taken so long to resolve this issue - there isn't a clear problem statement.
Ron. I'm glad you got the new unit in. The weather is heating up here in Texas, and the replacement unit works great. I just wish that Keystone/Dometic would quite screwing around with folks and just replace the remote system with no questions. They would have a lot happier client!
Old 04-02-2005, 01:40 PM   #94
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:[i John - I have had two complete sets of the remote system in my 3400, plus another wall unit, all without resolving the "10 degree set point issue". I think Dometic thinks it is the spread between where it goes on and off that's the issue. The issue that I hear over and over and that I experienced is that when set at 72 degrees, it shuts off at 62 in furnace mode and need to set to 82 degrees in summer to get the A/C to turn off. Maybe that's why it's taken so long to resolve this issue - there isn't a clear problem statement.
Exactly! I don't know where they got the idea that the "spread" is the problem. I'll keep working on them.

Thanks for keeping us posted.

John.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 12:15 PM   #95
Montana_3368
Established Member

M.O.C. #3368
Thanks Mike for the pictures and description!!

I also installed two of the remote units with no success and have had less success with the Comfort Control Center even with your help and the help of one of their dealers....once installed my CCC kept cycling off and on in both heat and cool.. I uninstalled it, slept on it and tried again, still no luck!! Boy I had my fingers crossed hopeing to solve the issue but no luck, I am getting tired of installing and uninstalling these things..It is back to Dometic Monday for another shot at ..I'm not sure what! Thay have been vvery cooperative in trying to help, but frustrating getting to them on the phone...always busy and call backs get to playing tag...

Any suggestions ????

Thanks

Butdoit
Montana_3368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 03:09 PM   #96
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Butdoit

Thanks Mike for the pictures and description!!

I also installed two of the remote units with no success and have had less success with the Comfort Control Center even with your help and the help of one of their dealers....once installed my CCC kept cycling off and on in both heat and cool.. I uninstalled it, slept on it and tried again, still no luck!! Boy I had my fingers crossed hopeing to solve the issue but no luck, I am getting tired of installing and uninstalling these things..It is back to Dometic Monday for another shot at ..I'm not sure what! Thay have been vvery cooperative in trying to help, but frustrating getting to them on the phone...always busy and call backs get to playing tag...

Any suggestions ????

Thanks

Butdoit
A couple of thoughts. Do you have only switch #5 turned on in the control unit, and no others? Does the unit operate the same in "cool:, "heat", and "fan only" modes? The wiring is pretty simply. For the A/C and heat to come on at the same time, both relays must be energized. Are you sure you got +12v and ground hooked up right? Other than these issues, the only thing left is the control unit itself!
Old 04-03-2005, 03:14 PM   #97
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
Also, remember that you need to "reset" the wall unit anytime you change the switches in the ceiling control unit.
Old 04-04-2005, 06:04 PM   #98
Montana_3368
Established Member

M.O.C. #3368
I did all of above, checked dip switch ,OK...did reset a couple times, I thought I was certain about wiring, talked it through with dometic people but they are not sure of Montana wiring side...maybe you can help...small wires from montana (red and white) hook up red to red and white to black (the red and black are larger...next red and white striped wire to blue and white to a blue ....all dometic people I talk to agreed.
What do you say....the way the unit acts just sounds like it could be the wiring..not sure what would happen if I start messing and moving wires around!! Dometic is sending me another unit. They have been very helpful, sympathetic and willing to work with me!! Thought I'd call Keystone tomorrow to check on the correct wiring..I just can not tell from your picture
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mazeeff

Also, remember that you need to "reset" the wall unit anytime you change the switches in the ceiling control unit.
Montana_3368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 07:59 PM   #99
Montana_1631
Established Member

M.O.C. #1631
puzzie here and if you find out how to work the remote let know also as our 3685FL is off by only 5 degrees at this time. Ours turns on at 70 degrees and it won't shut off until it gets up to 75 so right now I feel lucky as most of you say yours is off 10 degrees and mine is only off 5 so I guess I shouldn't complain.

Puzzie Pigpen
2004 3500 duramax dually
2005 3685FL
Montana_1631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 02:00 AM   #100
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Butdoit
What do you say....the way the unit acts just sounds like it could be the wiring..not sure what would happen if I start messing and moving wires around!!
Sounds like you got it right. The small set of wires are for the furnance. Since it is just a relay closure, wire matching does not matter. 12V and ground wiring sounds correct. The A/C is controlled through the white connector that plugs in the side of the control unit. The only thing left is the control unit itself. Several of us have made the change out, so we know they work. We will all follow closley. If you want to study the wiring yourself, here is a link to the Duotherm Confort Control service manual.

http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/ccc5.pdf