Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-06-2020, 10:48 AM   #1
ForBruce
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26644
Can You Autolevel a SECOND time

Here is the scenario: 2021 Montana High Country

Truck disconnected and trailer was leveled using Auto level feature.

Now 2 weeks later their is some settlement and little bit of rock.

Can i just press auto level again ....or not advisable..has anyone done it ?
ForBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 10:59 AM   #2
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
Just go to manual mode and knock it out of adjustment a little bit then go back to auto mode and it should relevel itself. If you are having a little rocking then you may want to add more blocks under the jacks especially the mid and rear jacks. The shorter the piston on the jacks the more stabile it will be.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 11:05 AM   #3
ForBruce
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan View Post
Just go to manual mode and knock it out of adjustment a little bit then go back to auto mode and it should relevel itself. If you are having a little rocking then you may want to add more blocks under the jacks especially the mid and rear jacks. The shorter the piston on the jacks the more stabile it will be.
Thanks for the reply... I already added blocks during setup knowing the shorter the piston the less rock
Old 10-06-2020, 02:39 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We full time and so this can be a frequent event when dealing with heavy rains etc. In our case I use the manual mode to correct to level. It's easy and will show you have far you're out of level and when you get back to it.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 07:27 PM   #5
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Yes. Whenever you want to auto level just hit the button. Settling happens and I'm glad to be able to hit a button and be done with it.
Old 10-07-2020, 09:38 AM   #6
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
Sure can.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 11:04 AM   #7
scottandanna
Established Member

M.O.C. #20158
I had a slow hydraulic fluid leak when we first bought ours, and we had to relevel about once per month. After a while, the wheels came off the ground, so I lowered the entire trailer almost all the way down, and told it to relevel. It was perfect after that.

So, lower it first, then hit level, so it doesn't just relevel it above the current height, and eventually lift your wheels.
scottandanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 06:41 PM   #8
GreG L.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21993
I found that if I don't take it out of level and press the auto level it will not ground and starts the leveling process from there, great if you want the wheels off the ground.
GreG L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 01:24 PM   #9
epicpow

M.O.C. #26910
Do y’all auto re-level with the slides in or out? Gut feeling tells me “in” to protect it from any possible slide or frame damage. Thanks.
epicpow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 01:53 PM   #10
Mahrep1

M.O.C. #22625
I’m not sure what anyone else does but any level adjustments I make all slides go in. I do adjustments about once a month when parked for long periods which we are doing since COVID began. Pull in slides, adjust level, turn tires (assures no flat spots), put slides back in, and spray all rubber seals around the slides. It may be overboard but this is our only home and exercising the jacks and slides keeps everything in working order.
Mahrep1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 02:02 PM   #11
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Good question Peter! At one of the National Rallies ( I don't remember which one) this question came up in the Lippert seminar. The answer was brief but they said to always put your slides in or make sure they are in when you first do your leveling. They said the system was built so the slides would be in and nothing would be hanging over the sides of the units. They also told us that if the slides are out when leveling, it COULD twist the framework of the slides and cause them to go out of adjustment also. So best to put your slides in when re-leveling or have them in on your initial level.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 03:32 PM   #12
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
Let me add to my previous comment, if you are experiencing "settling," you may need to add some stiction fluid to your reservoir. Sometimes settling may occur and be heard as a slight snapping (for lack of a better word) noise occasionally coming from a jack. Lippert recommends an anti-stiction fluid such as Torco RFF Grade 15, Maxima Fork Oil Grade 15, or Caterpillar Hydraulic Oil Additive 1U-9891. I found Torco at O'Reilly Auto.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 04:44 PM   #13
drog55chev
Established Member

M.O.C. #24480
If we’re going to stay at a park for awhile we usually disconnect and hit auto level. After several days things settle and for myself I manually bump up what is out of level. If we stay at parks for one night I try and pull it to the best level and leave the truck hooked up and manually level. Manually IMO works best because you should put your slides in if you auto level because of the aggressive movement.
drog55chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 05:54 PM   #14
imolared
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21609
yes!!!!

It is BEST to manually lower the front FIRST!!!!

Otherwise it may just keep going up!!!!
imolared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 07:39 AM   #15
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyg View Post
Let me add to my previous comment, if you are experiencing "settling," you may need to add some stiction fluid to your reservoir. Sometimes settling may occur and be heard as a slight snapping (for lack of a better word) noise occasionally coming from a jack. Lippert recommends an anti-stiction fluid such as Torco RFF Grade 15, Maxima Fork Oil Grade 15, or Caterpillar Hydraulic Oil Additive 1U-9891. I found Torco at O'Reilly Auto.
Unless Montana has made a change I'm unaware of the High Country has electric levelers instead of hydraulic like the standard Montana has.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 01:04 PM   #16
ForBruce
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26644
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBeFulltime View Post
Unless Montana has made a change I'm unaware of the High Country has electric levelers instead of hydraulic like the standard Montana has.
look here pops....2021 montana high country with pedal flush toilet and electric levelers
Old 08-19-2022, 06:54 AM   #17
JayT_B
Established Member

M.O.C. #31291
How out of level does the trailer have to be, to auto-level again? As of now, showing a -3 degree nose down. I have pushed the auto level button, with nothing happening. When we bought the rig, the previous owners hauled it to our RV spot and showed me the initial auto level sequence after unhitching. Needless to say, I am nervous about touching any of the buttons. Just sold our home, and brought some Oak wood to the RV park for weekend smoking of some briskets, etc. We currently have a small stack under the front to keep it out of the elements. Since the trailer has already been initially leveled just after unhooking, is there a need to worry with any subsequent auto level procedures that the front would come way down like during the initial auto level? Worried about the front coming down on the Oak wood.
-Yamaha EF3000iSEB Generator
JayT_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 08:23 AM   #18
182flyer
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #30432
2022 HC 295RL: I added sight glass stick on levels for front to back and sided to side level so I can watch when I disconnect and hit auto level. My auto level is slightly out of rig as side to side is great but front always ends up too high so I just routinely go to manual and lower nose when auto level says Success. I'm sure there is a calibration on the auto level, it's just easier for me to add that finishing touch.

I did not know that I should be using auto level while slides are IN. I WILL change that as it makes sense to do so . Thanks to whomever posted that.
Jack
182flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 08:27 AM   #19
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayT_B View Post
How out of level does the trailer have to be, to auto-level again? As of now, showing a -3 degree nose down. I have pushed the auto level button, with nothing happening. When we bought the rig, the previous owners hauled it to our RV spot and showed me the initial auto level sequence after unhitching. Needless to say, I am nervous about touching any of the buttons. Just sold our home, and brought some Oak wood to the RV park for weekend smoking of some briskets, etc. We currently have a small stack under the front to keep it out of the elements. Since the trailer has already been initially leveled just after unhooking, is there a need to worry with any subsequent auto level procedures that the front would come way down like during the initial auto level? Worried about the front coming down on the Oak wood.

I don't know the how for out of level before you auto level can be used again. I assume it has a small buffer. You can always put it manual mode and raise the front. Or if you want, lower the front to -5 and try auto level?
Old 08-20-2022, 05:17 AM   #20
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
One thing not mentioned, in addition to the slides being IN when you auto-level (or manually level), make sure your steps are up as well.
You can really tear up those things if they are down when the auto level starts.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote