Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Brrr it's cold outside! Winter Camping
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2017, 11:03 AM   #21
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
What most amazes me on my High Country is how much shifting and swelling many components undergo due to ambient conditions. I stored outside without a cover (thankfully) in Michigan in some very cold weather. Three sets of double doors on cabinets were improperly installed with little clearance between the doors. Now due to moisture coming in from the floor areas thee door sets became very swollen, pressed against each other and actually broke the glue joints on all 4 door corners. So I am now awaiting 6 new doors under warranty.

jameswbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 01:07 PM   #22
Army Nurse
Established Member

M.O.C. #17456
We "unintentionally" full-timed in our HC for 8 months after a PCS (military) move, while waiting for our house to sell. It wasn't really that bad. Temps in the Fort Campbell, KY area sometimes dip into the low teens in December and January. Here's what I found...

1. Temps below 32 require a heat taped fresh water hose and water source.

2. I could comfortably heat the entire coach with three 1500 watt space heaters I bought at Walmart, as long as the outside temp was above 25 degrees Fahrenheit. I also put a little compact ceramic heater in the area in the basement storage area, which made the floor above it MUCH warmer.

3. In temps below 25, I supplemented my space heaters with the propane furnace, which easily kept up with the demand. Plus, it kept my galley pipes from freezing. Yes, it was still chilly when sitting in the slides, but it was OK with a sweatshirt on.

4. A bit of heat tape Gorilla Taped to the bottom of the exposed drain pipes under the trailer will keep them from freezing. I turned off the valve on the gray tank when below 25.

So, bottom line, you can winter camp in a HC. However, it requires some preparation and diligence.

Oh, and electric was free where I was, so I have no idea how much I used. Probably a good bit with all the heaters and heat tape.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	winter camping.JPG
Views:	307
Size:	246.7 KB
ID:	437  

2014 Ram 3500 - DRW - 4x4 - 6.7L - 68RFE - B&W Companion
2015 Montana High Country 340BH
Army Nurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 08:47 AM   #23
BucBuckeye
Established Member

M.O.C. #19690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army Nurse View Post
We "unintentionally" full-timed in our HC for 8 months after a PCS (military) move, while waiting for our house to sell. It wasn't really that bad. Temps in the Fort Campbell, KY area sometimes dip into the low teens in December and January. Here's what I found...

1. Temps below 32 require a heat taped fresh water hose and water source.

2. I could comfortably heat the entire coach with three 1500 watt space heaters I bought at Walmart, as long as the outside temp was above 25 degrees Fahrenheit. I also put a little compact ceramic heater in the area in the basement storage area, which made the floor above it MUCH warmer.

3. In temps below 25, I supplemented my space heaters with the propane furnace, which easily kept up with the demand. Plus, it kept my galley pipes from freezing. Yes, it was still chilly when sitting in the slides, but it was OK with a sweatshirt on.

4. A bit of heat tape Gorilla Taped to the bottom of the exposed drain pipes under the trailer will keep them from freezing. I turned off the valve on the gray tank when below 25.

So, bottom line, you can winter camp in a HC. However, it requires some preparation and diligence.

Oh, and electric was free where I was, so I have no idea how much I used. Probably a good bit with all the heaters and heat tape.
What a beautiful picture! Looks cold outside, but cozy inside!

Thanks also for the information, our Montana Mountaineer is "holding down the fort" through this winter in North West Michigan (about 40 minutes south of the UP). However, we may be in it as late as late October/mid-November...so your tips above will be helpful, thanks!
BucBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote