Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2022, 09:20 AM   #1
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Foldable dining chairs failing

Well, while sitting in one of our foldable dining chairs all of a sudden I found myself on the floor. After inspecting it, I found that the front legs are only held in by two small circular rods about an 1" in length. Absolutely the worst designed chairs and above all likely to fail on you, and get you hurt. With me having two fused discs in my lower back and one in my neck, this was the last thing my spine needed. Anybody else have one of the foldable chairs collapse on them? Oh, and I'm not some big dude either..........5-09 and 163lbs.

2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 11:54 AM   #2
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
The original dinning chairs in our Montana High Country were pretty cheesy too. They were not folding chairs, but fixed. Still pretty cheap.

My son (over 200 pounds) leaned back on one and broke it at the back. I was able to repair it, actually strengthen it and after the work, it was hard to see the difference. Shortly after that, we simply removed all the chairs and they are now packed away in the loft in the garage waiting for the day (if ever????) we sell the Montana, we can put back the original chairs (cheesy as they are).

Just so we'd have extra chairs, if we had guests and wanted to sit at the table, we picked up 4 of these: Click here

Meanwhile, just about a month ago, we decided to remove the factory kitchen stand alone table too and we actually brought out our 6 foot kitchen table from the house and set it in the same slide space. It fit nice. It's solid with 4 feet on each corner and no braces between the legs. It's probably 50 years old, made of real wood, and pretty heavy. It serves our purpose well. We put a table cloth over it, let it hang over the front, and the space under it is now our catch all for a lot of stuff ... like the doggie stroller, baskets, soft drinks in 24 packs, stuff like that.

Meanwhile, those 4 folding chairs got moved to the front cubby in the King Pin area, as actually .... we've never used them, but what them for "just in case".

So you know, there is nothing that says you can't remove those factory cheep cheesy chairs and replace them with something more durable. There are all kinds of other folding chairs that will hold up a circus of elephants. Sounds like it's time to do that!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 05:25 PM   #3
Trevor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #29795
Back in the summer my wife had one of the folding chairs collapse with her. Nothing broke,just came apart. She also has a bad back. I recently took the Montana in to have some warranty work done and they repaired it, ( or put it back together). I tried it out when I picked it up and it seems sturdy but we will see.
Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote