Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2019, 06:52 AM   #21
J Gamble
Established Member

M.O.C. #23993
Skypilot - You are absolutely right. We pay the sales tax, now have to pay the ad valorem like a personal property tax!

J Gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 06:56 AM   #22
J Gamble
Established Member

M.O.C. #23993
Thank you very much for all the replies. I agree that Georgia has found a way to make more tax money. It's from the motor vehicle office, so think it should follow the same one time tax as motorized vehicles - but that would be less tax $$.
J Gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 09:01 AM   #23
DieselDevilDog
Established Member

M.O.C. #24149
Got it, thanks......Holy Cow! more moo-lah! Thanks............................................ ............................Diesel
Old 03-23-2023, 06:53 AM   #24
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
I would read the Bill to find out how they are supposed to calculate the value of the vehicle.
I'm pretty sure there are transparency laws on the books for that kind of thing.
I know in Virginia, it's based on Blue Book value.
Every year when I got my personal property tax bill, I would make an appointment and protest their "estimated" value. They always reduced it. Sometimes went to $0 on my older high milage vehicles.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 03:20 PM   #25
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Indiana did away with the personal property tax for RV's several years ago. I was so thankful they did. It wasn't so much the money, as license plate fees were really inexpensive, it was the hassle of doing it every year. When Indiana did away with the tax on RV's, it simplified life tremendously. But now, RV's were licensed, titled, registered, and the annual registration renewal was now the same as automobiles. So, one way or the other .... they still get their money.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 06:46 AM   #26
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Interesting that activity on this thread has popped up. Our fiver, registered in NY is now semi stationary in GA on my daughter's property. It will probably not return to NY so I will likely register it here. I only need it tagged for the once annual trip to SC. So I have started to look into it. My problem is my driver's license is still NY as is my residence. Also I don't own property in GA. The NY reg expired in Dec and they frown on renewal without their annual vehicle inspection which of course I can't get in GA. I may just end up taking it to SC with the expired NY tags and risk a ticket like I did this year. A ticket will likely cost less than the cost to register it anyway.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 07:57 AM   #27
Bourbon County
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30449
To you GA guys, I feel your pain. In my state (KY) I have to pay personal property tax on all vehicles every year when license plates are renewed. The tags on any towable are listed as "travel trailer".

I bought my Montana and a new F-350 in 2016, and the taxes on both combined have just barely dropped below $1K this year for the first time since I've owned them. I had an old 2006 F-150 plain work truck that I drove to work before I retired that I just sold last year; the taxes on that 16 year old truck were about $50/year in 2022.

Every state seems to go to great lengths to find and disguise taxes and you have to look at the entire tax burden. Our legislature is working to reduce the state income tax and over a couple of years has reduced from 6% down to 4.5% but has added sales tax to many services like plumbers, HVAC, electricians, etc that weren't charged before. Property taxes in most of the state are fairly low, and you don't pay state taxes on social security. Supposedly we are one of the most tax friendly states, but it sure doesn't feel like it.
Bourbon County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 09:43 AM   #28
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
I get it. Many people are leaving NY for FL supposedly because of high taxes. But the fact is NY is very friendly to retirees. It is true in the NYC area but the rest of the state is not that bad. GA property taxes are about 1/5 of my NY tax where I live, but once you factor in all the other costs such as H/O insurance and sales tax, the cost of living here is about the same.
I think they figure if you give it another name they won't know it's a tax..

Old 03-24-2023, 10:36 AM   #29
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Texas numbers that I pay...
No income tax in Texas.
Sales tax rate 8.25% on most stuff (but not groceries)

My 2022 property tax for 2.5 ac lot with mobile home (we bought property and mobile home 17 yrs ago - moved out of a big house and expensive school district when the kids got out of school), RV garage, carport, couple of storage barns...
$422.88 capped (since I am 68). We are out in the country east of IH35 (the cheap seats!) 15 miles to two different Walmarts and in a small rural school district. If I was west of IH35 or in Austin or in "the Hill Country", property taxes would be $5000 and up. It's all paid for...that was the plan. Now that Samsung is building a $7 billion chip plant 11 miles due south - property values are starting to rise so it will not be "the cheap seats" for very long.

Vehicle inspections are required to pass before you can get your lic plate sticker.
Montana license plate sticker $136.63
RV inspection $7.00

2019 Chevy 3500 lic plate sticker $133.75
Truck inspection $9.00

2017 Subaru Crosstrek lic plate sticker $75.25
Inspection/emissions test $18.50
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 11:02 AM   #30
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post
Texas numbers that I pay...
No income tax in Texas.
Sales tax rate 8.25% on most stuff (but not groceries)

My 2022 property tax for 2.5 ac lot with mobile home (we bought property and mobile home 17 yrs ago - moved out of a big house and expensive school district when the kids got out of school), RV garage, carport, couple of storage barns...
$422.88 capped (since I am 68). We are out in the country east of IH35 (the cheap seats!) 15 miles to two different Walmarts and in a small rural school district. If I was west of IH35 or in Austin or in "the Hill Country", property taxes would be $5000 and up. It's all paid for...that was the plan. Now that Samsung is building a $7 billion chip plant 11 miles due south - property values are starting to rise so it will not be "the cheap seats" for very long.

Vehicle inspections are required to pass before you can get your lic plate sticker.
Montana license plate sticker $136.63
RV inspection $7.00

2019 Chevy 3500 lic plate sticker $133.75
Truck inspection $9.00

2017 Subaru Crosstrek lic plate sticker $75.25
Inspection/emissions test $18.50
Don't forget your H/O insurance. If you live in tornado land like where we are in GA and you may be in TX, it's higher. My daughter in SC low country pays about three times what I do in the NY mountains.

Old 03-24-2023, 11:25 AM   #31
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Don't forget your H/O insurance. If you live in tornado land like where we are in GA and you may be in TX, it's higher. My daughter in SC low country pays about three times what I do in the NY mountains.

Good point. I pay about $3000/yr for home insurance...no idea how that compares to other places. We have no HOA to deal with. We are surrounded by similar 2.5 acre lots with mobile homes. A couple of my neighbors have some "classic" cars parked in a row along their back fence. One neighbor built a barn for his chickens but I call it a shack. We are fenced all around - keeps our dogs in and the coyotes out. Lots of neighbors partake in target practice on the weekends - mostly the neighbors that back up the the creek. None of that bothers us. DW has been wanting to get a tornado shelter for years...it is on the list.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 05:21 PM   #32
Mark7
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19032
I sure see a lot of full timer video's and in some cases you catch a shot of the license plate on the TV or coach. Many, many registered in SD. I would check and compare costs there.
Mark7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 05:59 PM   #33
mcl

M.O.C. #33004
Could you please message me the amount ad valorem you had to pay? And is that initial or annual
mcl is offline   Reply With Quote