Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2022, 11:14 AM   #1
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
What broke on your last trip?

This might be an interesting thread. From the routine wear items to the unimaginable that can occur while owning a trailer.

Our last trip, which was for 13 days (5 days to Paso Robles and then 8 days in Avila Beach, California), I put 500 towing miles on my trailer. During the initial trip to Paso Robles, which took 4.25 hours, we discovered upon reaching our destination, the front closet clothing rod had broken. The left side circular "plastic" piece that holds the rod had failed, which then led to the center mount pulling out from the ceiling A quick trip to Lowes and I purchase a metal replacement rod holders (problem fixed).

From Paso we went to Avila Beach, a 45 minute drive, and were there for 8 days. Upon leaving, and dumping my grey and black tanks, I noticed leakage coming from the center plumbing, to the right of my main dump valve, which appears to be from my sink. Looks like the bottom plumbing, which is visible from underneath the rig is where the leak is at and not from inside.

Upon returning home, my remote RVLock face plate sticker, that has the keypad numbers, decided to fly off. I emailed RVLock and explained the situation. They got back to me immediately and would replace the factory sticker for free, or I could upgrade to a new silicone pad that goes underneath the face of the lock, which would cure any further problems like I had. The new silicone pad I ordered was $19.99. I plan on tackling the small sink leak before our next trip in August. That about sums up the problems we faced on our 13 day trip.

2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 11:16 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Our last trip was from the middle of Kansas to Tucson. No problems at all.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 11:22 AM   #3
Richard Blackwell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19705
Send a message via AIM to Richard Blackwell Send a message via MSN to Richard Blackwell
Only 2 major items our last trip...

The heater on our 2013 3402RL would try to start, the fan would turn on, a few seconds later the propane would fire up...then stop. This process would only continue until I turned off the heater...(turned out its a faulty thermostat...currently at the dealer waiting for the replacement). Then the center area beneath the 5'vr that has a coroplast black cover broke loose while travelling. Several areas were ground up, shaved off while grinding over the asphalt at 60 mph. That's been repaired/replaced now also. This was our last outing going from So Cal to mid-Florida and back.
2013 3402RL
Richard Blackwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 12:09 PM   #4
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
Just got back home from visiting a COE just South of Magazine Mountain in Arkansas. Beautiful country and vistas! Last Sunday we had a very unexpected storm roll through with broadside winds strong enough to give the fiver a real good shaking. Thankfully the awnings were on the leeward side and we got them in without issue. Roof check the next morning revealed one of the two sewer vent caps had snapped off. After some half-hearted searching, DW found the errant vent cap and I siliconed it back on and ordered a replacement just in case.
Note to self: No matter how still the winds have been for over a week, stop being lazy and bring in the awnings at night! That could have turned out badly had the winds been from the opposite direction.
Lee-CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 12:11 PM   #5
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
How about nothing. Nothing broke.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 12:21 PM   #6
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Currently in Nova Scotia Canada. Roads are bad.
Right rear spring broke and a 4yo Sailun tire blow out (road debris).
Leaf spring changed, changed all 4 Sailun tires for new Sailun tires.
Currently working on fixing the underneath damage from the blow out.
I'll write it up on a separate thread with pictures...

Edit: forgot, the spare tire carrier lift broke too.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 12:25 PM   #7
Ting3
Established Member

M.O.C. #23754
Toilet acting up, hoes pig tail came apart from male end.

We also were in Avila beach from the 9th of July to the 16th, after hooking up we left to get something to eat, returning to find water 💦 under the trailer. We were gone for about an hour. Discovered the main water was turned off, opened my cargo door were all connection are and found the flex hose to my water filter had came apart on the male end of hose.
It was connected on the upstream side of regulator. Later in the week we were told by the camp host that they had shut off the water.
Also had the toilet randomly not working. We would flush and no water🤔, we would open and close water at vanity and water would start in the toilet. I've changed water valve and vacuum breaker before this trip.
I was told that possible the water hose heating by laying on the black top at the camp site, causing a vapor lock. You got to love these rolling earthquakes.
Ting3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 01:00 PM   #8
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Front landing jack broke.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 01:53 PM   #9
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Finally got round to fixing the half wall between living room and kitchen properly. I routed a decorative edge on a piece of 1"x2" red oak and stained it to match as close as possible. Used Locktite to adhere it to the wall on the kitchen side and another short piece on the living room side. Added screws to hold while the Locktite cured. That wall won't come loose again!
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 02:04 PM   #10
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
It's always something. Last trip was the Furnace. The Heat Pump worked just fine. Furnace now fixed. Also, the auto level system had some typical hiccups.

Last year's trip, however, was different.
1. Truck thermostat failing/overheating. Found one and replaced it
2. 5er Converter died. Amazon had one. Had it shipped to our next stop and replaced it.
3. Both batteries went bad, likely due to bad converter. Got 2 more
4. 45 mins from getting back home and truck alternator died. Got towed home and replaced it next morning.

Still a good, educational trip. As long as parts are available doing the repairs is just part of the gig.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 02:11 PM   #11
Ting3
Established Member

M.O.C. #23754
Toilet acting up, hoes pig tail came apart from male end.

We also were in Avila beach from the 9th of July to the 16th, after hooking up we left to get something to eat, returning to find water 💦 under the trailer. We were gone for about an hour. Discovered the main water was turned off, opened my cargo door were all connection are and found the flex hose to my water filter had came apart on the male end of hose.
It was connected on the upstream side of regulator. Later in the week we were told by the camp host that they had shut off the water.
Also had the toilet randomly not working. We would flush and no water🤔, we would open and close water at vanity and water would start in the toilet. I've changed water valve and vacuum breaker before this trip.
I was told that possible the water hose heating by laying on the black top at the camp site, causing a vapor lock. You got to love these rolling earthquakes.
Ting3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 03:07 PM   #12
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Can’t remember but whatever it was - I fixed it with help from forum members!
Thankyou!
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 07:44 PM   #13
MandK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28430
Just returned today from 5 nights out, 480 miles round trip. Nothing that I know of.
MandK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 08:50 PM   #14
h2ojocky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13025
On my last trip upon pushing out the slides I ripped off a cabinet door. I have read many times about this happening but my cabinet doors never seemed to open up while traveling. i bought a new door hinge and installed magnetic child safety latches to the cabinet doors near the slide out.
h2ojocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 09:14 AM   #15
NWCampers
Established Member

M.O.C. #29366
Thankfully nothing broke on our last trip. We are getting ready to leave for a trip from Oregon to Arizona and hopefully will be able to report the same response upon our return. It’s like rolling the dice each time- sometimes we win, sometimes we lose…. time, money, and even parts
NWCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 09:16 AM   #16
Papa
Established Member

M.O.C. #28780
Send a message via AIM to Papa
We took a short trip to Elk City, OK for a square dance festival and the latch on hot water heater broke as well as our adjustable water pressure regulator gauge failed. I'm watching the power converter expecting it to fail soon. I will probably replace it before this fall when we are taking a longer trip.
Papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 01:54 PM   #17
Bill Austin
Established Member

M.O.C. #28613
On our first overnight stop of a 11 week trip when we went to leave the next morning the electric slides wouldn’t move. Called Local RV repair folks to no avail. Called Keystone, closed for inventory, still waiting for that return call from the voice mail I left. Called local dealer, Camping World, and low and behold I have tech assistance. Got a call back about an hour later. The fellow that called back was so knowledgeable and helpful. He stayed on the phone with me for at least 3 hours running all kinds of checks and balances. We finally determined there was a short from the power to the first slide controller which then means all the controllers are dead. He suggested I use jumper cables from the battery directly to the controller and bingo, it worked. He then suggested buying some 10 gauge wire, a 40 AMP inline fuse and some clips to make a wire rather than have to use the jumper cables. Impressed and it’s worked since for 4 stops.
Knock on wood…7 stops to go till we are back at our home base in Georgetown TX.
Est Deliveries: Trailer August & Truck October 2021
Bill Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 03:34 PM   #18
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
We left 6/1/2022 and as of today, 6100 miles later, the only problem is a screw for a cabinet handle came loose. That is not to say that tomorrow it couldn't all come apart.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 08:09 PM   #19
Jeff n Susan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25636
3200 miles and the camper and truck were fine. Not so for the wallet......it's broke
Jeff n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 07:58 AM   #20
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff n Susan View Post
3200 miles and the camper and truck were fine. Not so for the wallet......it's broke

Lol...........so true for most of us on the wallet part.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote