Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2022, 09:24 AM   #21
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
How about nothing. Nothing broke.
Lynwood

You lucky dog! Where do I start?
1) Alternator went out on truck on day 2.
2) Receiver for Dish tv went out same time.
2a) I had eye abrasion last year - same time and place so went to doc because it was starting to bother again (dry eye). Got that taken care of over 3 days and okay now.

3) A week or so later the bedroom A/C went out. Big problem - we were only staying in one place for a week - Kalispell, MT. Called ahead and dealer there was booked thru the end of summer. Kept looking and finally found a place in Davenport Iowa that could order it and have it installed on the 2 days I was in town. This was about 4 weeks in advance!
4) A few days later the microwave quit. I didn't want to try to install it myself so I got the Davenport dealer to install one that I tracked down on the internet. Kind of a problem is most new microwaves are about an inch taller and we have 7/8 inch clearance underneath to clear the folding lid over the stove. Found one at BestBuy in Billings and carried around for 3 weeks.
5) Oh, I forgot - we had a week in Kalispell but during all the rain in June, it had a foot of water on it! This was with one week notice and near July 4, so no where to stay in the area.
6)Minor thing - level on back of rig fell off so had to get a new one so we could level!
7) had a road stretch of REALLY wavey and swails. Got in and the kitchen cabinet door had opened and the weight of it bouncing pulled the top hinge out and bent the bottom one. Just happen to have a replacement from previous problem so got it fixed.

Also, I spent $6000 last fall for a spray on roof and $7000 to fix welds on the front AND the rear side walls.

Other than these things, a great trip!! LOL

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 02:09 PM   #22
Camp CA
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25828
Traveled ~2000 miles up and down California since first of the year and nothing in/on the fifth wheel trailer broke.
Old 07-26-2022, 06:32 PM   #23
Todd & Mary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28634
home to Door County WI

Well this trip I lost my RV keys for 2 days, our micro EZ RV thermostat lost its screen. this was our first full timer trip. We were heavy and had to shed some weight. Other than that, all is well! So far so good
Old 07-27-2022, 01:21 PM   #24
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Didn't really break anything but it could have been a disaster, does that qualify.
Upon leaving upstate New York a few weeks ago I was flagged down about an eighth of a mile from our site by another camper with one leg on crutches hollering at me.
So I backed up to him and he said nice camper, if you want to keep it that way you better put your owning in. Lol
That's the first time I've ever done that
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 01:51 PM   #25
Starchey
Established Member

M.O.C. #26046
Nothing on our last trip, but the trip before which was the western rally in Dolores. Just before leaving I had my truck serviced including a radiator flush and fill. Saw a low coolant level warning but assumed it was a sensor error as the dealership had just filled it. Not so on the way home going over Wolf Creek pass we overheated. We always carry water so filled what we had and got to our overnight destination. Completely filled radiator next morning and all is well. Now I know don’t trust the dealer trust the sending unit.
Starchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 02:01 PM   #26
Judysgirlz!!
Established Member

M.O.C. #22908
Ugh, on our last trip, first one as retirees the living room slide quit on us in our third star. Couldn’t get it to come in. Finally coaxed it in and now afraid to put it out.
Judysgirlz!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 02:05 PM   #27
Bruce in DFW
Established Member

M.O.C. #28272
I replaced all five (including spare) 5-year-old Sailun tires with new ones before our trip this year. After several hundred - maybe 1000 miles, noticed that I kept loosing air in one tire. Replaced it with the spare and tire shop found a crack in the aluminum wheel - probably a pothole or bump. Bought a new white steel wheel to use until I can find a new matching aluminum one. Other than that, the usual molding, trim pieces and screws coming loose. In addition, the furniture against the back window moved a little during travel and wedged between the slide facia molding and side of the trailer - broke 2-3 teeth off the slide-out gear on the bottom of the slide when trying to extend the slides. Ordered one on Amazon to deliver to our next stop and replaced it - problem fixed. I also just noticed that the bottom right corner of our back wall is loose. I can push it in about 3/4". Tried to run a couple of long screws in through the trim piece but didn't catch anything to pull it back in. I'll have to take it apart when we get back home. Last year - had to replace all four brake assemblies - due to grease on all pads, repair (and eventually replace) the toilet, replace a broken closet rod holder - and a couple of other smaller items. That sounds like a lot - but we were gone for 4-5 months and covered over 6000 miles.
Bruce in DFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 02:35 PM   #28
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
Last trip, cracked rim on my truck.

2018: transmission for electric motor for door side rear den slideout

2019: transmission for electric motor for off door side rear den slideout

2020: transmission for electric motor for bedroom slideout

Each of those trips were over 60 days in duration and the failures happened about mid-trip
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 02:48 PM   #29
Wheelhouse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11462
My leaf spring also broke in Nova Scotia and a blue out at the same time. Git it fixed after we crossed the river on the ferry. Fast and cheap repair.
Wheelhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 06:04 PM   #30
Tom & Earline

M.O.C. #26838
Last month traveled from FL to TN: In Georgia had major tire failure on rear truck tire. Damaged fender well, fender, tailgate. Had to replace wheel and tire, waiting on ins to repair truck. Stop for fuel outside of Nashville, was getting back on I24 hit a transition in the road and saw the window over the dining table explode into a million pieces. Glad I had some cardboard and tape to cover window. Still looking for replacement. And the Hot Water heater refused to work in gas mode. On my schedule to fix. Lastly, after getting back to FL had a second major tire failure on the other rear truck tire. Both rear fenders now look the same. I think I'm upgrading truck tires next. Our next trip should be uneventful.
Tom & Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 06:31 PM   #31
skippydoo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25725
Well since you asked,

Starting in spring, shortly before our big trip, our first living room slide cable snapped. 2 weeks later the the other living room slide cable snapped. RV tech came to the house fixed both---Camping World service intake lady, "Nurse Ratchet" said THEY couldn't help us.

So, Off we gooooo ---Second day into trip, We are driving through a small Fla town and drivers are waving at us. Aren't they nice here?

So, husband pulls over. The 'thing' that holds our spare tire, underside /belly of the rig, fell completely off.
A few hours later we arrive at our final destination and our Kitchen slide motor blows. RV tech had to replace that little bugger.

All repairs are covered by our extended warranty thru CW. It is like pulling teeth to get our money back. Took 3months for 1st of 3 checks. No wonder RV techs will not work with them.

*3 year old MHC
skippydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 09:58 PM   #32
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Large slide... again...
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 08:21 AM   #33
jeririgged223
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26548
The closet rod has always been a problem. Even with the metal rod they rip out because the supports in the roof and sides are into nothing but paneling. I put the wooden rod back in, drilled a hole the the middle and put a telescoping rod thru it and secured it to the floor by screwing in a rubber furniture caster cup. Never had a problem since.

https://www.amazon.com/Anyoo-Adjusta...%2C117&sr=8-24
jeririgged223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 12:28 PM   #34
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
OMG........So far, I think yours takes the cake.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 12:29 PM   #35
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeririgged223 View Post
The closet rod has always been a problem. Even with the metal rod they rip out because the supports in the roof and sides are into nothing but paneling. I put the wooden rod back in, drilled a hole the the middle and put a telescoping rod thru it and secured it to the floor by screwing in a rubber furniture caster cup. Never had a problem since.

https://www.amazon.com/Anyoo-Adjusta...%2C117&sr=8-24

Thanks Jeri for this info.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 10:32 PM   #36
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
We left 6/1/2022 and as of today, 6100 miles later, the only problem is a screw for a cabinet handle came loose. That is not to say that tomorrow it couldn't all come apart.
Well shuckie darn, I should have known posting would come back to bite me.

First, one day I started losing P.S.I. in the LR tire - about 1 lb. every 15 miles. Sure enough it is a cracked rim. The spare is doing the job until I get the replacement rim.

Second, one of the pendant lights over the sink snapped the bolt that holds the light to the mount. It will have to wait until I return home and have access to the tools needed to fix it.

Third, on a curvy section of Hwy-101 in OR, I looked back and saw the big kitchen/entertainment slide was out about 6". Not the whole slide, just the front edge. Huh? Turns out the two 1/2" bolts that hold the ram to the slide frame had disappeared. I didn't have replacement 1/2" bolts, but two 1/4" x 20 bolts and nuts with Fender washers got the ram connected and the slide closed. That allowed us to get to the campground where i was able to get the right parts and fix it correctly.

Third, today I saw a small drip of water under the toilet drain pipe. It looks like the toilet is leaking either at the seal or the base unit. This is going to wait a few days until I get home.

Hopefully posting these problems won't result in more in my few remaining travel days.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 09:34 AM   #37
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
Well shuckie darn, I should have known posting would come back to bite me.

First, one day I started losing P.S.I. in the LR tire - about 1 lb. every 15 miles. Sure enough it is a cracked rim. The spare is doing the job until I get the replacement rim.

Second, one of the pendant lights over the sink snapped the bolt that holds the light to the mount. It will have to wait until I return home and have access to the tools needed to fix it.

Third, on a curvy section of Hwy-101 in OR, I looked back and saw the big kitchen/entertainment slide was out about 6". Not the whole slide, just the front edge. Huh? Turns out the two 1/2" bolts that hold the ram to the slide frame had disappeared. I didn't have replacement 1/2" bolts, but two 1/4" x 20 bolts and nuts with Fender washers got the ram connected and the slide closed. That allowed us to get to the campground where i was able to get the right parts and fix it correctly.

Third, today I saw a small drip of water under the toilet drain pipe. It looks like the toilet is leaking either at the seal or the base unit. This is going to wait a few days until I get home.

Hopefully posting these problems won't result in more in my few remaining travel days.
Yikes! Well at least you were aware and caught the problems before they became major problems. Enjoy the OR coast. You were able to escape the Sac 100 deg heat wave.
Old 08-21-2022, 09:43 AM   #38
Camp CA
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25828
A couple of trips ago I noticed oil on one of the hydraulic slide feet. Cleaned it up and it appreared again. So cleaned it up again. Next trip no leak and has not leaked while stored.

Same trip kitchen sink water line leaked. Cleaned up the water and put a small pan under it to monitor the leak. Next next trip no leak.

I like it when leaks dissappear.
Old 08-21-2022, 01:47 PM   #39
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
Last 1000 mile trip to the New England area. Roads were so bad I broke a spring (replaced all 4 of them ) bent rear axle so it was out of camber by 1 3/8 inch (had it bent back for $294 dollars) lost 2 rear tires due to cord showing on the inside edge in 400 miles because of bent axle ( replaced all 4 tires) People that live in the New York, Boston area can have it I`ll never go back up there and spend any money.
Weather was nice though, people seemed friendly except the ones driving.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 11:56 AM   #40
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Last trip we were headed to Utah to Zion ... 4 hours from home on our first stop we were setting up.. Wife went to put Large Slide out and the thing BROKE AGAIN!.. I called a repair place in Tonapah . They sent two kids out With NO tools... Charged me 100.00. When we pushed the slide in as far as we could We said 'forget the trip' and went back home.. Took it to a repair place in Reno who charged me 2400 to repair the slide... 3rd Time we have had this issue with the large slide.. Had the cable bedroom slide fixed twice...The trip before this we were in Cour d Alene Idaho and the black tank busted..Have you ever spent a lot of money on something that's supposed to be fun, only to be afraid of "what's next?"...
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote