Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2022, 05:14 PM   #1
2013HC

M.O.C. #31521
Floor issues

So what are some thoughts on the darco that is under the luan floor? Is there any reason to keep it in place, since there is the chloroplast (sp??) underneath the darco layer which is closer to the ground? All the plumbing, wiring and ducting run between the two layers. The reason I am asking is my floor is messed up from water sitting between the luan and the darco and I have been ripping out parts of the floor and finding more issues. It's irritating as I now want to cut out the darco, so I can see what is messed up on the bottom layer of the luan sandwich floor. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
I have a 2013 Montana HC 303RK, if that helps at all.

2013HC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 06:17 PM   #2
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
If you need to inspect the floor from the underside, then you really have no option but to remove it.

Replacing it, now that is the $64 thousand dollar question?

If the floor is not damaged, rather than trying to replace it, you can use a good exterior house paint and simply paint the exposed plywood floor. Or spray the exposed wood with Tompson's Wood Sealer, used mostly on house porch deck work. It's good stuff, penetrates the wood and seals it.
It's a far, far better way of protecting untreated wood than simply covering it with a Nylon material.

When you replace the chloroplast I can't imagine water splashing up from the road to ever reach the underside of the floor.

I had a pop-up (Starcraft Venture, 1999 model) and the under side of the camper was untreated, bare plywood, exposed to everything. We had the pop-up for 6 years and I inspected the under side of that little trailer often. There was never any signs of water damage under there. I also treated it with Tompson's when we first purchased the camper.

I think the Draco material is the manufacturers way of installing something really cheap and fast, rather than using a good paint or wood sealer to protect the exposed wood on our campers.

If you have to inspect what's going on, yes ..... remove it.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 06:38 PM   #3
2013HC

M.O.C. #31521
Thanks for the quick reply. I feel like I need to remove it to see how much damage I have and what needs to be replaced. The sections that I have replaced has a few coats of mildew resistent paint, although I like the idea of Thompsons water sealer. I wonder how often the Thompsons would need to be applied since it should not be exposed to water, unless there is a leak.
2013HC is offline   Reply With Quote