Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2023, 11:04 AM   #1
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
LI battery with LA only convertor.

My convertor is one that is missing the LI switch. So it will not charge the Lithium batteries fully.

Now when I bought the batteries, the manual said to fully charge them first before installing.

So I bought a 20 amp LI battery charger.

Well the converter is basically just a battery charger.
So I ran it a bit using the convertor. Then I figured what the heck, why not just us the LI charger. So I did.

Now me being the kind of guy that I am, I was sooo tempted to show an installation where the charger was plugged into the inverter and the charger output was hooked up to the inverter input. think on that for a bit.

But I am refraining from that. What I did do was plug the charger in the 110 outlet in the basement that is there for a TV and the output is on the Inverter input. I did that because I was being lazy and just wanted to see how things worked. The inverter input is basically the same as hooking up to the battery.

I have a victron smart shunt so I can monitor the batteries.

I used the charger for about 6 weeks of my 3 month grandkid tour.
The charger worked fine and the fan on the converter never came on.

Yes, the charger had to work a bit harder than the converter would. Because of the current output differences
yes the LI batteries were fully charged
and this will work if the LI batteries have a BMS, which mine do.

Thought I would share.

2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2023, 01:31 PM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
For less than $300, you can get a lithium replacement converter for the Progressive power center and you wouldn't need to juggle things to keep your batteries charged. https://battlebornbatteries.com/prod...-power-center/
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2023, 04:35 PM   #3
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
or I could just reuse the charger I already have for $0
Old 10-22-2023, 04:41 PM   #4
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
I'm still using the original PD4575K18LS8 non lithium converter for the last 4 years with my lithium batteries.
The only time I'm interested in fully charging them is when we are boondocking.
I use the converter Charge Wizard’s boost mode to get them to about 90%. I have 800W of solar panels. That tops them off to 100%.
One thing I really like about lithium batteries is they charge FAST !!!!
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2023, 06:14 PM   #5
goingwest
Established Member

M.O.C. #14670
My 2018 doesn't have the switch but there a place on the charger to change it over to Li a three prong post with a cap over the center and left post change the cap to the center and right post. It is under the 4 wire ribbon coming from the charge wizard to the charger you take the 4 wire ribbon off leave it off. This puts the charger in the14.4 volt mood. I got these instructions from Progressive Dynamics for a PD4575K18LS8 Converter. And it marked Li on the 3 prong you are changing that cap on.
goingwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 06:09 AM   #6
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by goingwest View Post
My 2018 doesn't have the switch but there a place on the charger to change it over to Li a three prong post with a cap over the center and left post change the cap to the center and right post. It is under the 4 wire ribbon coming from the charge wizard to the charger you take the 4 wire ribbon off leave it off. This puts the charger in the14.4 volt mood. I got these instructions from Progressive Dynamics for a PD4575K18LS8 Converter. And it marked Li on the 3 prong you are changing that cap on.
Thanks, I'll look into it
Old 12-08-2023, 05:09 AM   #7
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Quote:
I had contacted PD and received instructions on converting my existing non-switchable converter to LI batteries as you described above. The document said that they would send me the required jumper (requested but haven't received it yet). I assume you have already switched your converter by using the jumper? Did it work ok?

Thanks
Old 12-09-2023, 04:53 PM   #8
goingwest
Established Member

M.O.C. #14670
Li Charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldicon View Post
I had contacted PD and received instructions on converting my existing non-switchable converter to LI batteries as you described above. The document said that they would send me the required jumper (requested but haven't received it yet). I assume you have already switched your converter by using the jumper? Did it work ok?

Thanks
I did mine just as stated in the last post. I talked with Dennis at PD he talked me through it on the phone,only took about 5 min. I did not use jumper as David said doing it this I did not need it. Dennis EXT is 144. Yes it is working great I just got to Florida last night after driving 13 hrs. and 750 miles. I got into my spot about 9 am this morning this was about 25 hrs. running on the inverter with some charge from the truck the battery was still showing 13.3 volts

Hope this helps Jerry
Old 12-10-2023, 02:06 PM   #9
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
I did mine just as stated in the last post. I talked with Dennis at PD he talked me through it on the phone,only took about 5 min. I did not use jumper as David said doing it this I did not need it. Dennis EXT is 144. Yes it is working great I just got to Florida last night after driving 13 hrs. and 750 miles. I got into my spot about 9 am this morning this was about 25 hrs. running on the inverter with some charge from the truck the battery was still showing 13.3 volts

Hope this helps Jerry
The voltage doesn't fluctuate with Lithium until below threshold. What was the the SOC when you arrived?
Old 12-10-2023, 05:25 PM   #10
goingwest
Established Member

M.O.C. #14670
I have no idle what the SOC was on arrival, I don't even know what it is. All I know is the inverter was showing 13,3 volts putting out 5 amps. My truck will never keep the volts at 14 to 14.6 because it only puts out 13.6. I do know the refrigerator was running and the beer was cold after being parked for with no hookup for 9 hrs.
Old 12-11-2023, 08:31 AM   #11
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
I have no idle what the SOC was on arrival, I don't even know what it is. All I know is the inverter was showing 13,3 volts putting out 5 amps. My truck will never keep the volts at 14 to 14.6 because it only puts out 13.6. I do know the refrigerator was running and the beer was cold after being parked for with no hookup for 9 hrs.
SOC equals state of charge. Meaning what was the % of charge? The great thing about lithium is the voltage is constant. Never drops below 12 volts. Assuming it has a BMS, battery management system, it will shut off once it hits it preset threshold. In my case 10% SOC. So the question was what was the % of charge when you arrived. It typically takes my 400 watt solar about 25 minuets per 10% to reach 100% SOC.
Old 12-11-2023, 07:21 PM   #12
goingwest
Established Member

M.O.C. #14670
Thanks for educating me a little on the Li battery mine does have the built in BMS and the refrigerator was running and cold. We make this trip each year for the winter. With the group 24 batteries we had before the refrigerator was off and we had to plug it to level the 5er

Thanks Jerry