Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2022, 07:56 PM   #21
Joint Venture II
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30751
Well we bit the bullet and I ordered the Starlink RV package this morning, hope it gets here in the next 3 weeks.

Joint Venture II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 09:52 PM   #22
firestation12
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24588
Starlink X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd & Mary View Post
I pulled the trigger on a Starlink RV system. Purchased it Thursday, arriving tomorrow.
Now I just need to figure out how to mount it on the roof of the RV when we are at a location. We just are tired of NO WIFI at the campgrounds. Our last stay in KY there was NO cell service and the WIFI (when I could connect to it) was .2MBPS. My gosh, dial-up is faster.
The wife said enough is enough. Fix it!
So no more NOFI for us! I hope cell over WIFI calling works with Starlink, Then we are all set!
This has been the plan eventually when I finally retire and we go full time, so its just a little early coming. The nice thing is Starlink RV ships right away. I was on a home waitlist and they were estimating another year before they would ship. And I can pause the service RV service any time. for $135 a month its not too bad. Ill let you all know how it performs, were out again in July.

We mounted ours by threading the cable past the slide out seal, then to the antenna/receiver dish. The modem can be put anywhere inside the trailer.
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 08:46 PM   #23
Joint Venture II
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30751
We have received our Starlink package and sitting here in the country northwest of Spokane. Took all of 20 minutes to set up and works very well. Question for Starlink users, how are you getting the sat cable into the Monty?
Old 08-08-2022, 04:38 AM   #24
wjg315
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joint Venture II View Post
We have received our Starlink package and sitting here in the country northwest of Spokane. Took all of 20 minutes to set up and works very well. Question for Starlink users, how are you getting the sat cable into the Monty?
I ran mine through the edge of the slide out and behind the theater seating so the router sits behind theater seating and is out of sight.
wjg315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 10:52 AM   #25
MSand
Established Member

M.O.C. #31057
Quote:

I mounted a PVC junction box to the roof, put a hole through the roof and a marine cable gland through the box. Mounted a Flag Pole Buddy to the ladder on the back. Modified the Harbor Freight flag pole with the 3D printed adapter you can buy off of Etsy. Put a cable dry box on the ladder to keep the Starlink cable end dry during transport. I also added an outlet to my inverter so I can run the Starlink off the battery when I am not on shore power.

I don't have to pull anything through the slide seals. I don't have to get on the roof to mount the dish. Just plug in the dish, snap it into the flag pole end, and mount it on the ladder from the ground. I have internet up after a few minutes.

Maybe I went a little over the top, but it is quick and easy to set up and tear down for transport. Pretty happy with the setup.
MSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 09:24 AM   #26
Joint Venture II
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30751
After lots of discussion and reading how others have installed their Starlink and wifi I have decided on a "gameplan". I need to put the Starlink up during the day while we travel so the DW can be online for a 3 hour class session 2-3 times a week. At those times I'll park at either a rest area, large parking lot or campground and if need be run my generator for wifi power. Plan is to store the Starlink and cable in my basement roll out. Thinking of using the flagpolebuddy.com system and mount the pole to the side of the trailer directly to the fiberglass body using this kit https://flagpolebuddy.com/ols/produc...2nd-generation Thoughts? Is fiberglass strong enough to hold mounts? Installing the Starlink right above the PS basement door area will permit easy storage of the Starlink and cable while permitting entry into the trailer thru the basement ceiling into the bedroom and having the wifi sit on the bedroom drawer cabinet.
Old 08-10-2022, 11:10 AM   #27
MSand
Established Member

M.O.C. #31057
Quote:
After lots of discussion and reading how others have installed their Starlink and wifi I have decided on a "gameplan". I need to put the Starlink up during the day while we travel so the DW can be online for a 3 hour class session 2-3 times a week. At those times I'll park at either a rest area, large parking lot or campground and if need be run my generator for wifi power. Plan is to store the Starlink and cable in my basement roll out. Thinking of using the flagpolebuddy.com system and mount the pole to the side of the trailer directly to the fiberglass body using this kit https://flagpolebuddy.com/ols/produc...2nd-generation Thoughts? Is fiberglass strong enough to hold mounts? Installing the Starlink right above the PS basement door area will permit easy storage of the Starlink and cable while permitting entry into the trailer thru the basement ceiling into the bedroom and having the wifi sit on the bedroom drawer cabinet.
I'm not sure I would just trust the fiberglass shell for any structure. If you can mount it to a structural member somehow, you would probably be OK.
MSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 07:42 PM   #28
Joint Venture II
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30751
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSand View Post
I'm not sure I would just trust the fiberglass shell for any structure. If you can mount it to a structural member somehow, you would probably be OK.
Took your advice and mounted it where the mounting screws went into the aluminum structure. I then drilled a hole from the basement storage to the PS propane locker and then a hole going up into the bedroom coming up underneath the bedroom dresser. From there I went forward underneath and up to the WIFI unit sitting on the dresser. There is a 120v recept right next to dresser that the lamp plugs into. When we're ready to depart it all comes down, taken apart and stored in the basement storage on my rollout. The WIFI stays on dresser due to double back tape holding it in place. If for some reason we have poor reception I have enough cable to reinstall the ground tripod mount and put Starlink either behind or in front on the ground.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Starlink.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	12821  
Old 10-08-2022, 04:27 PM   #29
rickbecker
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13543
Ordered Starlink last 10/6 and got the shipping notice 10/7. Part of my research included following Joe Cristina at youtube.com/jcristina - he covers a bunch from the basics to the geeky. One site that he tells folks about is starlink.sx - way cool as you can pinpoint your location and see real time what your "dishy" will see and which satellites it will use as well as ground stations and point of presence (POP) locations around the country. I plan on using the flagpole buddy for Starlink https://flagpolebuddy.com/ols/produc...2nd-generation

Looking forward to figuring how to get the cable in to our 3150RL

rickbecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 06:05 PM   #30
Joint Venture II
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30751
"Looking forward to figuring how to get the cable in to our 3150RL"

After looking at your floorplan it appears you could come into the bedroom in much the same way I did on my 2955RL. Our WIFI sits on the dresser in the bedroom and works very well in anyplace we are at in the trailer as well as within 25-35' outside of the trailer. In my posts above I explain pretty much how I installed it. I have since then installed a 1000watt converter just below the bedroom dresser receptacle so the DW can plug in both the WIFI and her laptop to the converter to go online and complete a zoom class with her students. She has taught many classes from rest areas and parking lots this way as well as "attended" many meetings with staff.
Old 10-09-2022, 07:09 PM   #31
Todd & Mary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28634
Starlink update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-CI View Post
Todd let us know how things work out with your Starlink setup after your outing. Very interested to hear how it works out for you.
Well, we are currently in Rapid City South Dakota. We are seeing anywhere from 20 mbps to 160. I think it depends on time of day as the RV service takes second priority to the home and business users. It can get a little slow during the evening when we are watching TV.
Old 10-09-2022, 07:33 PM   #32
Joint Venture II
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30751
Quote:
Took your advice and mounted it where the mounting screws went into the aluminum structure. I then drilled a hole from the basement storage to the PS propane locker and then a hole going up into the bedroom coming up underneath the bedroom dresser. From there I went forward underneath and up to the WIFI unit sitting on the dresser. There is a 120v recept right next to dresser that the lamp plugs into. When we're ready to depart it all comes down, taken apart and stored in the basement storage on my rollout. The WIFI stays on dresser due to double back tape holding it in place. If for some reason we have poor reception I have enough cable to reinstall the ground tripod mount and put Starlink either behind or in front on the ground.
Since I completed the above installation I have since then installed a 1000watt converter just beside the bedroom dresser receptacle so the DW can plug in both the WIFI and her laptop to the converter. Now I avoid having to start the generator. My 3 battery bank manages the converter load very well for the 3-4 hour internet use.
Old 10-09-2022, 07:36 PM   #33
Joint Venture II
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd & Mary View Post
Well, we are currently in Rapid City South Dakota. We are seeing anywhere from 20 mbps to 160. I think it depends on time of day as the RV service takes second priority to the home and business users. It can get a little slow during the evening when we are watching TV.
Like you I found the same service all the way from SD to Ohio. In Ohio I'm finding that weekends the connection is much slower on Saturday and Sunday afternoons.