Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-09-2021, 12:35 PM   #1
Zbones
Established Member

M.O.C. #29987
Jack error again

Jack error again
This is the second time but now a different jack that has given me the special jack error where I need to go through the process of re-home all the jacks.
What might I be doing wrong or what should I be looking at with the Lippert leveling system to address this issue?

Zbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 12:59 PM   #2
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Hard to say. You're maybe doing nothing wrong. Are they electronic or hydraulic? Mine are electric and will give me an error for out of stroke (my fault) or may just overload and turn off when I have to life the front a little higher than normal. They aren't out of stroke but seem to strain and struggle and eventually will fault and need to be rehomed. The fault will usually be for one specific jack even though there's no particular reason that it should have occurred.

Sometimes they will error out when the voltage is too low. According to Lippert they can error out when the voltage is too high (on shore power)...go figure. I was told the best scenario is healthy batteries, fully charged and holding above 12v, not connected to shore power. For me they will still error out when I have to high lift the front...
jsb5717 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 01:33 PM   #3
Zbones
Established Member

M.O.C. #29987
What steps do you take to re-home your jacks if the trailer is disconnected from the truck? do you reconnect and do the homing process?
Old 12-09-2021, 03:31 PM   #4
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zbones View Post
What steps do you take to re-home your jacks if the trailer is disconnected from the truck? do you reconnect and do the homing process?
I raise my front jacks high enough I can get jack stands under the frame in the front and then lower the trailer onto the jacks so the trailer is now resting on the jacks.

Now I can go through the process of extending all 6 jacks down about half way and then retract them all at once to clear the error on which ever jack is throwing the error.

On another point, if any of your jacks are stroking out, you'll get errors and have to go through this process to clear the errors. I found the best way to keep any of the jacks from stroking out is to place enough block under the jacks that they never extend all the way.

I did this by having the trailer on a fairly level area, then leveled front to rear. I measured the distance from the bottom of the jack to the ground, for each jack, and subtracted about 4 inches. So, if the original distance from the bottom of the jack to the ground is 10 inches, the longest distance I ever want to extend that jack is 6 inches. So, when camped on a slope, either front or backward slope, if the jack has to extend longer than 6 inches to reach the ground, I'll place blocks under the jack high enough the jack will touch when it extends only 6 inches.

Ever since I started doing this, I've never stroked out again, and I've never errored out again either on any jack. It took several months as a newbie with my Montana and the 6 point jack system to finally learn this. But now it is an absolute must.

Then came the day, I realized I had to raise the rear jacks about 4 inches so they'd quit dragging uneven ground when exiting parking lots and campsites. When I raised them higher, I now have put blocks under those rear jacks with a stack of lumber about 4 inches higher now too. So, if on level ground, I put about 8 inches of lumber under each rear jack. And this has worked perfect and I've not stroked out or errored out since I started doing this.

Over this winter, we've been home and not on the road. I took the time to paint all my lumber I use for leveling, jacks, and picnic table leveling. While I had everything out of the camper, and the trailer sitting on cinder blocks, I weighed all my lumber before painting. The total weight came to 106 pounds. I know that's a lot of lumber, but the end result ... It's saved me a LOT of headache re-honing those jacks.

FYI, mine are electric Lippert 6 point system.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 05:28 PM   #5
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zbones View Post
Yes, I always do it connected to the truck.
jsb5717 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 07:05 PM   #6
Skw774
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20974
I get the trailer close to level before I start. Throw my 3” wood blocks under center and rear and hit the go button. Works every time.

2023 GMC 2500 HD AT4
2018 High Country 340BH
Skw774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 05:20 AM   #7
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
i am assuming you have the 6 point leveling system. call lippert direct and they will work you through what your issue is.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 09:42 PM   #8
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Rollin-- Since you have a High Country, I am assuming you have the electric level-up system, am I correct? Whether you have the electric or the hydraulic, I would give Lippert/LCI Customer Service a call come Monday and tell them your problems and they will do a diagnostic over the phone with you and will be able to tell you what is going on and how to cure the problem/s. They are the best Customer Service I have ever worked with and they will do you right when giving you the fix for your problem. They MIGHT be there on Saturday, I don't know for sure on that but I'm sure they will be there on Monday for sure. Good luck and let us know if you get things diagnosed and fixed.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 10:13 PM   #9
Michael.shafer

M.O.C. #24750
I have the 6 point electric and had a bunch of problems trying to get them to work on uneven ground. I called the help desk and the dude told me to make sure before I hit auto level that the front was lower than level and to put extra blocks under the jacks on the down slope, and ever since I've had no issues. I hope that made sense.
Michael.shafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 07:43 AM   #10
Zbones
Established Member

M.O.C. #29987
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
I raise my front jacks high enough I can get jack stands under the frame in the front and then lower the trailer onto the jacks so the trailer is now resting on the jacks.

Now I can go through the process of extending all 6 jacks down about half way and then retract them all at once to clear the error on which ever jack is throwing the error.

On another point, if any of your jacks are stroking out, you'll get errors and have to go through this process to clear the errors. I found the best way to keep any of the jacks from stroking out is to place enough block under the jacks that they never extend all the way.

I did this by having the trailer on a fairly level area, then leveled front to rear. I measured the distance from the bottom of the jack to the ground, for each jack, and subtracted about 4 inches. So, if the original distance from the bottom of the jack to the ground is 10 inches, the longest distance I ever want to extend that jack is 6 inches. So, when camped on a slope, either front or backward slope, if the jack has to extend longer than 6 inches to reach the ground, I'll place blocks under the jack high enough the jack will touch when it extends only 6 inches.

Ever since I started doing this, I've never stroked out again, and I've never errored out again either on any jack. It took several months as a newbie with my Montana and the 6 point jack system to finally learn this. But now it is an absolute must.

Then came the day, I realized I had to raise the rear jacks about 4 inches so they'd quit dragging uneven ground when exiting parking lots and campsites. When I raised them higher, I now have put blocks under those rear jacks with a stack of lumber about 4 inches higher now too. So, if on level ground, I put about 8 inches of lumber under each rear jack. And this has worked perfect and I've not stroked out or errored out since I started doing this.

Over this winter, we've been home and not on the road. I took the time to paint all my lumber I use for leveling, jacks, and picnic table leveling. While I had everything out of the camper, and the trailer sitting on cinder blocks, I weighed all my lumber before painting. The total weight came to 106 pounds. I know that's a lot of lumber, but the end result ... It's saved me a LOT of headache re-honing those jacks.

FYI, mine are electric Lippert 6 point system.

Thanks for the directions, I went through the process and cleared the error taking yours and everyone input. I went and bought more blocks as I did not have enough to do what was needed. Going forward I will follow your directions, thanks again for your time on this matter.