Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 01-02-2022, 10:57 PM   #1
Gubs
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #27658
mattress pad help

Don't know if this is the correct place to put this but here goes anyhow!

Normal RV mattresses are NOT the most comfortable so we are looking into a 3" Gel filled memory foam mattress pad. Has anyone else done this and is it really worth it all? I think we will get a similar pad for the house and see if that works at home first. Our present mattress is about five years old and starting to show some wear with some dips and lower spots. The pad we are looking at is from Amazon and for a King size runs about $120.00 or so on special and some other discounts. I've read all the reviews and they all seem pretty good! Any thoughts you would like to share would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Larry & Marilyn Gubbels
2019 F-350 Diesel 4X4, Short Bed, BW 18K slider,
closely followed by a 2020 Montana 3121RL
Gubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 04:23 AM   #2
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Lots of folks get rid of the OEM “mattress”. I probably could sleep on that thing when i was a kid...not so much in the past couple of decades.

In 2016 we bought a 12” foam mattress and a 2” topper at Sams for our new RV (2017 Laredo). When we traded it for the Montana we had it moved over. It has always been very comfortable. Seems like the mattress was less than $400 and the topper was $100.

We took our first trip since covid in October 2021. We discovered that we actually wake up feeling better on our RV bed than we do on the S&B Temperpedic mattress with toppers.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 05:24 AM   #3
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
My wife accuses me of the 'princess and the pea' syndrome. I can feel a slight fold in the pad if I lay on it! So I have a heavy cloth pad and also a foam rubber pad that is about 2 inches thick. The foam pad is at least 7-8 years old and hasn't flattened out or gotten valleys in it.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 05:34 AM   #4
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
We bought a 4" memory foam and quilted topper from Amazon. It did make a world of difference. It's not the sleep number we have at the S&B, but it is quite comfortable.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 06:26 AM   #5
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Gubs,

Think about this.... you spend 1/3 or more of your entire life sleeping based on an 8 hour night. That translates to 57 hours a week you spend in bed, 240 hours based on a 30 day month, 2920 hours a year, and if you live to be the age of 70 that 240400 hours of your life you spend on your mattress.

That's a lot of time out of your life to be uncomfortable. I always said, my place of employment and the reason I work has never been about money, it's always been about satisfaction. And I'm not satisfied with my job, I leave.

The same is true for the place where I spend 1/3 of my life ... in bed. If my mattress is not comfortable, I get rid of it. Too much of life is spent there to be uncomfortable.

Do yourself a favor and look into just purchasing a new mattress for your camper, one that is comfortable, maybe even better than the one in your house. There's nothing wrong with spoiling yourself with your camper. You invested thousands and thousands of dollars into purchasing it. Why do you want to cheap-out now and take the road that, in the end, will not satisfy you and cost you twice, when you realize a topper does not work.

We tried a topper in a previous camper and it was horrible. The thing slid around and would not stay put. It was not fit exactly right, and even though it was a nice 4 inches, it was still horribly uncomfortable. The mattress below it made a horrible foundation, and we just sunk into the topper and felt like we were being droped into a pool of quick sand. We slept on that horrid thing for 2 night and that was it. The original mattress slept more comfortable, springs, hard edges, and worn cover and all.

We tuely wasted our money on that endeavor. We ended up a Serta mattress, the same we had in the house, and even though it cost more, we never regretted it.

Our current Montana actually came with a pretty decent mattress. It was very comfortable so we used it for over a year. Then we noticed the cover on it wearing very thin so we ended up getting a new one. Actually, this was the most expensive mattress we ever purchased ... ever. It's foam, 12 inches think and sleeps unbelievably comfortable.

So, with my best sales pitch here I just threw at you, just forget about a topper and get a new mattress. Apply that $120 to the cost of a new mattress. You WILL not be disappointed.

Just an FYI.... several years ago, we made the decision to quit taking the cheap route with our camper. We started replacing all our second hand, hand-me-down, used, and worn out stuff for new, fresh, and more elegant stuff. It started with dishes, going from paper plates to Corning wear, then sheets, blankets, pillows, cookware, even our clothing. We replaced the outside lawn furniture with the el-cheap-o uncomfortable second hand thrift shop left over junk and replaced everything (over time) with nice, comfortable, chairs, outside end tables, and so on.

We did this because our camper is our only hobby. It's more our lifestyle. It's our "love shack", our vacation house, our motel on wheels. When you step foot into a motel room, you expect things to be nice, clean, somewhat elegant. You expect amenities , like clean, comfortable bedding, soft carpets, a decent working television, a refrigerator, coffee pot, hair dryer. You expect the Continental breakfast, and you want that breakfast to be GOOD!

So, .... why do so many people short change their camper. Pre-cooked, re-heated food, uncomfortable beds, ragged out clothes, paper plates, cook ware that sticks, scorches, and is horrible to clean. Nasty toilet paper, and tooth paste with a taste that would choke a maggot.

Now is the time to turn your camper into a 5 star motel room, and truly let it become your "love shack" tool. Give it your best! And you'll enjoy it even more than you'll ever imagine!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 07:05 AM   #6
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
We did a 2" memory foam topper. It was OK. Finally replaced it with an RV sleep number mattress two years ago. Love it.
We will probably do the same thing for the house.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 08:41 AM   #7
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
We have natural foam mattress and topper. Natural foam is far different than any other foam. It’s a heavy dense foam that supports you better than any other foam. It will never sagg like foam. Get a four inch topper. We like a soft topper you may like one that isn’t as soft.
I happen to have some small pieces and will send you one if you like.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 01:38 PM   #8
hookseter
Established Member

M.O.C. #27463
Mattress

I have a 2020 3700LK. The old mattress developed a whole about a month in. Bought a Casper mattress, had a foam topper in my Alpine before. Try at home first, (firm believer in trying first). Good luck 🤞
hookseter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 01:43 PM   #9
jwengermt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26938
WE bought a 2" gel pad on amazon. Nelaukoko 2 Inch King Size Memory Foam Mattress Topper King Mattress Foam Pad, Ventilated Gel Bed Topper King. It is well worth the money at $86.00. Our bed is almost as comfortable as our expensive mattress at home.
2004 Chev 2500 HD
jwengermt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 01:54 PM   #10
team bradfield
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19994
we have the original montana mattress with a 2" foam topper, we find it very comfortable

The "Black Pearl"-2017 3731FL Legacy Package
2017 F-450 Platinum, 6.7 PSD
team bradfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 02:07 PM   #11
MandK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28430
We lasted 1 weekend on our new original mattress. She did the research as it was she that said not another night on that thing. I now have a Montana Hybrid by Wilderness RV Mattress company, and a happy wife.
MandK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 04:08 PM   #12
tom woodward
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25118
Temperpedic is the way to go. Expensive but the best. YMMV
tom woodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 06:56 PM   #13
nitro9023003

M.O.C. #25419
Mattress

We had the same problem with sleeping on the original mattress in our 3440rl. We bought a sleep number r5 mattress from camping world and replaced ours. We both have our on setting to sleep on and it is outstanding no more restless nights. It was so nice we went to sleep number store and bought same mattress for the house no more back aches and happier rving now.
nitro9023003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 07:16 PM   #14
Skw774
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20974
New mattress is the only way to go

2023 GMC 2500 HD AT4
2018 High Country 340BH
Skw774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 03:15 AM   #15
The Old Fogies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8908
We replaced our mattress in the previous Montana with a Sleep Number mattress. When we traded campers, we swapped mattresses and are still Hatoyama with our Slurp Number. Also have one in our home.

The Old Fogies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 05:54 AM   #16
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
We put a Simmons Beautirest in ours then added a topper. Gel did not work for us so that went and a foam topper was used. That gel topper for a person that moves around some at night may not work since it's like climbing out of a hole every time you turn over.

My recommendation is to use the same setup that you have in your S&B house, not try to do a work around
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 06:31 AM   #17
MandK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28430
The topper didn’t work for us either. Having a temperpedic on the boat made us want a decent similar mattress on the camper and at $1000, the Wilderness was less $ than another temperpedic. The Money back comfort guarantee helped make the decision.
MandK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 09:55 AM   #18
skippydoo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25725
We purchased a standard Queen mattress at the local sleep store. Husband sawed down the RV King platform to make the new Queen fit.

New rig, no problem...switch it out during pick up day.

No toppers for us. Why try to make something work when it doesn't.
skippydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 10:41 AM   #19
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Quote:
Originally Posted by skippydoo View Post
... Why try to make something work when it doesn't.
I love your comment! Great! Now, if only folks would apply that to their tow vehicle instead of adding air bags, different hitches, and heftier tires!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 12:36 PM   #20
Dreamersandtravelers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14250
Adding airbags is really an aesthetic need for most because the load makes the t.v. squat. "Oh, must be overloaded cause it's down in the rear." Not a serious issue unless it's maxxing out the factory leaf springs. Personally I haven't seen any flatten the extra springs.
Dreamersandtravelers is offline   Reply With Quote