Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2024, 07:15 AM   #1
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
frame flex or shoty workmanship

If you're bored this morning watch these videos on frame flex. I know many (including me) have had this problem. As usual they push the problem onto somebody else. The problem is clear to me that they use the very minimum thickness of steel and very minimum in structural design to the point if one component fails or isn`t installed correctly the walls or frame breaks. So it goes back to Keystone according to them. They seem to generalize the conversations and answers to cover any problem that could come up with no real answers to the problem. This would be the lawyers talking. What junk and what are you going to do about it park it on a permanent site?

F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 07:56 AM   #2
MandK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28430
There are probably several reasons why they design these right on the edge of failure. IMHO, the biggest is the weight. The models that don’t have flex problems have beefier walls and more steel in the frames. Pretty simple, but they will sell a lot less of them if they have to be pulled with a dually. Sure, there are trailers that can be pulled with less truck safely, but they aren’t full of the goodies that sell “luxury” 5th wheel trailers, so the weight loss has to come from somewhere. Not to mention all the stuff we, including myself, pack into the pass through storage. We all know the brands that are resistant to this kind of failure and you don’t see them being hauled around with srw trucks.
MandK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 09:52 AM   #3
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Anyone can build a bridge but it takes an engineer to build a light bridge. The problem with that is if any thing goes wrong the bridge will collapse just like our campers do with frame flex.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 10:08 AM   #4
MandK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28430
Lynwood, Maybe the new technology has left me behind, but I still hunt woodchucks with a rifle that has a barrel on it like a truck axle….no flex. lol
MandK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 03:43 PM   #5
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
I could only listen to part of this before cutting them off. All of these people (including the interviewer) would be great "pass the buck" politicians. He kept feeding them soft-ball questions about how this problem could be caused by water damage, an accident, or buying a used unit so they could blame the owner instead of owning the problem.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 06:17 PM   #6
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
This picture was posted by one of our members in December 2019.
They had a crack below the bedroom wall corner.
Clearly you can see the wall frame was NOT welded all the way around the joint, it was only tack welded.
I'm thinking, if you want to solve the problem of "Wall flex" they need robot welders to Weld ALL the jointS ALL the way around.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1709174417661.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	16596  
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 09:34 PM   #7
firestation12
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24588
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz View Post
I could only listen to part of this before cutting them off. All of these people (including the interviewer) would be great "pass the buck" politicians. He kept feeding them soft-ball questions about how this problem could be caused by water damage, an accident, or buying a used unit so they could blame the owner instead of owning the problem.
I too had to stop the video. The host kept interrupting and dominated the video.
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 04:33 AM   #8
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryles View Post
This picture was posted by one of our members in December 2019.
They had a crack below the bedroom wall corner.
Clearly you can see the wall frame was NOT welded all the way around the joint, it was only tack welded.
I'm thinking, if you want to solve the problem of "Wall flex" they need robot welders to Weld ALL the jointS ALL the way around.
Daryles - the photo you posted from 2019 - is that pic showing the framing within the wall before fiberglass sheet bonding takes place?

Also - are the bonded wall units attached to the frame using bolts or welds?

Seems to me - if the weld breaks occur within the bonded walls then they would revise welding specs/process in the wall frame plant.
If the issue comes from the way the walls are attached to the frame then they should address the connection in the final assembly plant.

All of this frame-flex stuff must not be costing them enough money to cause them to re-engineer or modify manufacturing practices to minimize or stop the issue.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 06:45 AM   #9
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
MikenDebbie,
Yes, that's with the front left fiberglass outside wall removed (forward of the bedroom slide).

Keystone montana wall construction
https://youtu.be/VqyUr1KQ4-c
2:23 in, talks about welding both sides of a joint.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1709174439527.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	16597  
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 05:29 PM   #10
rubio171
Established Member

M.O.C. #33123
Video and flex

I agree, the video was a total lollipop piece! They could do plenty to keep these things from having failures…but they want to build as cheap as possible and sell for as much as possible.
On the other hand though, most of the YouTubers I see having these issues have lots of heavy lithium batteries in the front of the rig and some also have goosneck conversions. The only thing I liked about the video is where they talk about the weight rating and if some people feel like that means all that weight can go in front compartment alone.
rubio171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 05:46 PM   #11
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
no 3rd a/c..... Mini split

well if you like those watch this one. A buck pass to.....it`s your fault......

Did you ever notice the frame on a car hauler trailer full of cars? The frame moves a lot, especially in the rear. My point is it spends its whole life going down the road in all kinds of conditions on every possible type of road, doesn`t break or bend because it`s reinforced in critical areas. Duh Olie maybe we should beef this part up just a tad. It`s still cheaper to fix the ones that complain the most then to change the design and add metal that would fix this once and for all. Brand means nothing they are all the same

F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 07:45 PM   #12
cey1941@gmail.com

M.O.C. #22484
Please give names of specific hitch manufacturers not recommended
cey1941@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 07:46 PM   #13
cey1941@gmail.com

M.O.C. #22484
PleSe give specific hitchs not recommended
cey1941@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 07:28 AM   #14
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
Read this letter.. it spells out hitch brands allowed and a date
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Dealer Memo re Goose Neck Adapter (1).pdf (106.8 KB, 44 views)
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote