Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2023, 01:14 PM   #1
Schmill
Established Member

M.O.C. #4052
Right Tail Light Problems

We have a 2003 3295RK which has been a great camper overall. 18 years and over 650 nights.

Things due break, this time it is the right tail light/break light/turn signals. tried new bulbs and tightened wire nuts connecting RV and light assembly. Getting ready for 1,250 mile trip and took unit to a Blue Compass RV service center. They dropped belly van and said they replaced wiring to the wire nuts. Now they are saying there is a short in the light assembly and the whole tail light assembly needs to replaced - the kicker is the assembly is no longer available!

I don't think the wiring and sockets in the assembly are that exotic. Wiring from the assembly to camper wiring is as follows:

1) two yellow to light assembly black and white wires:

2) two white to light assembly two black:

3) one black to light assembly white wire.

I am going to pull the light assembly, label all wires, and take it to the local auto parts store.

Thanks a bunch for your help,

Jacob

Schmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2023, 01:37 PM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
As I recall, that has the old Chevy Blazer tail lights. I know one member who replaced the light portion, keeping the housing and lens, with an LED replacement kit. It did wonders for making the tail and brake lights highly visible. I can ask him what and where he got the kit if you are interested.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2023, 02:15 PM   #3
Schmill
Established Member

M.O.C. #4052
Taillight problems

Carl n Susan

Thanks a bunch for your reply.

Would appreciate additional information, I thought I saw somewhere this light assembly was same as Chevy product from early 2000s

Jacob
Schmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2023, 06:10 PM   #4
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I emailed Drifty1, who did the upgrade, to let him know your interest.
In the mean time here is a Thread with his information about the replacement lights.
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=66065

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2023, 06:33 PM   #5
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
I am going to research my sources right now. Yes there are options available. They are I believe about 90 K5 Blazer lights. I installed a new set of led units in the old buckets.
Old 09-29-2023, 06:46 PM   #6
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I think they are grasping at straws, as the old saying goes. A short would blow a fuse in the truck.

Simultaneously losing the right tail light and stop/turn light, my first guess would be loss of ground to that fixture. Especially if the left tail light is still working since the both taillights and the clearance lights are on a common circuit.

Did they check for voltage in the wires to that fixture? If there is voltage to those two wires and the lights don’t work, then there may well be a problem with the fixture. But most likely it is either a ground issue, or a bad connection in the bulb socket for that assembly. But a connection issue in the bulb socket “usually” only affects one light or the other. Those fixtures are really pretty simple.

Using a volt meter check for voltage at the wires to the fixture. Make sure you have a good frame ground reference point. If you do not have voltage there then you have a wiring issue independent of the fixture.

If you have voltage there, then check for voltage at the bulb contact points inside the bulb socket, using the socket frame for ground for your meter. If no voltage then use the trailer frame for ground. Those sockets are often a problem making good contact.

It should be a fairly simple matter of sequentially homing in on the problem area.

You don’t have to connect to your truck if you don’t want to. You can use a short jumper wire on your 7 pin connector pin 4 (12 volts) to pin 3 for taillights or pin 6 for right stop/turn.
Attached Images

BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2023, 06:48 PM   #7
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
This is similar to the unit I bought for our 2002 3295rk. It was a simple installation.

https://www.lmctruck.com/1973-91-che...conversion-kit