Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 11-14-2022, 01:58 PM   #1
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Fun on the road

We had quite the entertainment for part of the drive returning home from Branson, MO yesterday towing our fiver. A fellow RV’er double towing a @32’ fiver and an 18’ bass boat had us smiling ear to ear for a while. I’ve double towed for many years and want to point out that that was not the center of our entertainment, but how the guy towed. He was one of those people that have 2 speeds while on the road … STOP and HAMMER DOWN. He passed us on I44 just a helling due west. While we were stopped at a fuel stop near Baxter Springs, he came a blazing into the fuel islands like Kyle Larson coming into pit row for more tires. How we got ahead of him is anybody’s guess. We left ahead of him getting on 166 and about 10 miles later, he’s behind us again. Obviously annoyed by my 65 mph speed, he sees an opening and blazes by us only to encounter a 4 way stop sign shortly afterwards. There, he jack rabbits out accelerating faster than a couple of cars that had pulled in behind him. Ironically a few miles on down the road, he’s held up by two separate one lane stop light controlled road constructions just east of Coffeyville, KS. Comically, we pull up right near behind him both times as the lights were not favorable to his journey. After navigating thru Coffeyville … it was HAMMER TIME again and we never saw him after that. I felt sorry for his truck because you could easily visualize its tongue hanging out. Sure hope he made it to his destination.

dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 02:41 PM   #2
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
What's really fun is towing a behemoth fifth wheel (41 feet long) and towing with a 1 ton diesel, dually, skipping along at 60 mph (very comfortable speed). Then there's that somebody towing with their 1500 or 150 pulling something much smaller, driving much, much faster passing me like I'm standing still. My first thought is ... I wonder what speed rating his trailer tires are.

OK, so we travel a bit further down the road and then we come to that mountain and start the uphill climb. That guy that passed me is clear out of sight. My dually continues to hold absolute steady at 60 mph. Up Black Mountain in North Carolina or, up the Sauratown Mountains range of North Carolina, across the Blue Ridge, climbing up and up and up. Or how about some of those really cool mountains in West Virginia?

Anyway, I'm holding steady at 60 mph, effortlessly and around that next curve and.... there they they are. They've slowed down to 40 mph, 30 mph, 25 mph, engine revving at 7000, 8000 rpms, screaming in agony and then I go whizzing by still holding absolutely steady at 60 mph.

Yes, this happens quite often. And every time, I just keep on driving at my comfortable 60 mph.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 03:19 PM   #3
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I used to love to follow a diesel pusher in these mountains. I’d set back there just waiting for a hill when he slowed down I’d drop out and pass him. I wouldn’t speed up but if he slowed down I’m gone. 600+ HP and 1100+ torque.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 03:28 PM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Was towing across US 380 in NM a number of years ago. Narrow road with no shoulders and hilly area. I was running 65 when some guy towing a very large boat came racing up behind. No passing zone for several miles and no way for me to pull over. When he finally got an opening he floored it and raced by me still gaining speed. Probably going 80-85 by the time he was a hundred yards or so ahead when one of his trailer tires blew. I quickly slowed down and passed thru all the smoke and dust with him looking at me like he thought it was my fault. He was pulled off the road in the dirt and sloping a lot down toward the ditch. Would have really been fun trying to change that tire. I just cruised on by leaving him to his stupidity.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote