Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2018, 09:20 AM   #21
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
The bad thing is KEYSTONE dont give a darn! They dont care one iota!.. cant wait to get rid of mine!..Keystone has lost several sales in our travels. 'How do you like your Montana.We ate looking for a fifth wheel.?"We proceed to tell them about our experiences with the product and lack of Keystone supprt.. They are greatful saing they will look elsewhere...

dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:55 PM   #22
Briarglenn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6613
Couldn't agree more. Bought my 3rd last Nov, it will be my last. That is not due to our age either.
Briarglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 04:37 PM   #23
Popnascar
Established Member

M.O.C. #22722
Gone ghost

So i understand everyone is wondering why i've gone ghost. Well here i am and am awful busy with work this fall. Yes , the water tank fell out of our new 3120 montana. Yes , a guy from keystone messaged me and i talked with him on the phone. He said he would pass it up to keystone. I made an appointment at the dealer, and pulled it down there. Made a list of items, they looked in amazement at the hole where that water tank had been, and assured me they would take care of it according to warranty. In the list of items i included that it would be reinstalled with proper support and that they and keystone would guarantee and take liablility for it. That's the last time i've heard from the dealer or keystone. Used the unit 8 days and it's been in the shop over 25 to date. I did talk to a tech at the shop via phone a week after the appointment date and he said it was still sitting outside and nothing had been done. This is the 11th rv we've owned. All have minor troubles - what doesn't?. The comments that we should all pull our rv's with the water tanks empty is ridiculous, and if you get to looking around the posts and threads, you'll find grey tanks and black tanks coming loose. The "ghost" signing off.
Popnascar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 04:42 PM   #24
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
You are correct ghost. LOL. Most RVs are self contained and should be designed to travel down the road with ALL tanks full without any issues. But apparently, that's NOT how it is.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 06:35 PM   #25
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
I have pulled mine over 10k miles in the last year or so, almost always with the fresh water tank full. No issues.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 07:31 PM   #26
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
Absolutely ghost. If a manufacturer ever suggested I should be pulling empty, I would be gone so fast their heads would spin. This problem was enough of a concern for me that I sold my Montana last winter and bought a different brand.
Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:39 PM   #27
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
Ordinarily, I hate government interference, but this is acritical safety issue. Imagine if the fresh water tank (or God forbid, the black water tank) should let loose on the freeway, people could die! I think it is time to get either the Transportation Safety Administration, DOT, CPSC or some government agency involved and have Keystone investigated for their shoddy practices. Anyone here have access to congress member?
Old 10-17-2018, 10:34 PM   #28
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark N. View Post
Absolutely ghost. If a manufacturer ever suggested I should be pulling empty, I would be gone so fast their heads would spin. This problem was enough of a concern for me that I sold my Montana last winter and bought a different brand.
Those words are in Forest River owner manuals.....
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 07:10 AM   #29
Popnascar
Established Member

M.O.C. #22722
The way it is

Yes, this is the ghost who disappeared after posting about my tank falling out. I have a 95,000 dollar heated garage for my 5th wheel. My unit has been sitting at the dealer now for over 3 weeks - and of course - out in the parkinglot. I have numerous pieces of equipment associated with my business and countless friends who farm. I have never heard one who will deny how valuable it is to get your expensive equipment, tractors, loaders, bailers, combines, campers, motorhomes, cars, pickups, tractor trailers ……. in out of the weather. We've got snow here already.

Not one thing has been done to our 5th wheel. They haven't even ordered parts. Although KEYSTONE has contacted me and assured me they are going to run interference and make sure the problem is corrected.
The rv industry has to be the lowest of low when it comes to taking responsibility for their screw ups, for quality control and for engineering.

My tank has no "ears" just the 2" straps with self drilling screws holding it up. We laugh at coffee discussing how we are going to travel with no water so our tank won't fall out, maybe, --- take along a pump and stop by a stream so we can fill within a mile of where we're going, BUT- no one has figured out what we do with the black and grey water when we leave so we can have empty tanks for the return home!!!!. Maybe call and have a portable toilet delivered to the mountains and not use the black tank, then drain the grey back in the crick...or....?? Maybe some of you have an idea.
This is ridiculous.
Old 10-27-2018, 07:53 AM   #30
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have lost several tanks on our two Montana's but never a fresh water tank. We have never seen strapping on a OEM installation. We do not travel with our tanks anywhere near full. We do not let the tanks fill to capacity when on a campsite. Nearly all of our failures occurred at the inlet of the tanks all of them occurred while the Rv was at rest. One was a defective tank that failed at a seam. Extended warranty covered all the f ailures.
That's the way it is in the world of Rv'ing.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 02:06 PM   #31
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popnascar View Post
Yes, this is the ghost who disappeared after posting about my tank falling out. I have a 95,000 dollar heated garage for my 5th wheel. My unit has been sitting at the dealer now for over 3 weeks - and of course - out in the parkinglot. I have numerous pieces of equipment associated with my business and countless friends who farm. I have never heard one who will deny how valuable it is to get your expensive equipment, tractors, loaders, bailers, combines, campers, motorhomes, cars, pickups, tractor trailers ……. in out of the weather. We've got snow here already.

Not one thing has been done to our 5th wheel. They haven't even ordered parts. Although KEYSTONE has contacted me and assured me they are going to run interference and make sure the problem is corrected.
The rv industry has to be the lowest of low when it comes to taking responsibility for their screw ups, for quality control and for engineering.

My tank has no "ears" just the 2" straps with self drilling screws holding it up. We laugh at coffee discussing how we are going to travel with no water so our tank won't fall out, maybe, --- take along a pump and stop by a stream so we can fill within a mile of where we're going, BUT- no one has figured out what we do with the black and grey water when we leave so we can have empty tanks for the return home!!!!. Maybe call and have a portable toilet delivered to the mountains and not use the black tank, then drain the grey back in the crick...or....?? Maybe some of you have an idea.
This is ridiculous.
Now you begin to understand why I sold my 6 year old 3400RL last year and totally turned my back on Keystone.
Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 03:14 PM   #32
Mel B.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19469
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz View Post
I have pulled mine over 10k miles in the last year or so, almost always with the fresh water tank full. No issues.
Well you either got lucky, or yours was built properly!
Old 10-27-2018, 11:10 PM   #33
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
I've supported the black and gray tanks with two extra 2x2 angle iron across the tanks with 2 self tapping bolts on each end of the angle iron and a 3 foot piece of 2x4 running length wise of the tanks in the center. All this was done on the outside of the coroplastic. The 2x4's were wedged in place and should keep the tanks from flexing. I guess i will go to the back and check out the fresh water tank and see what i need to do to that end. I don't carry a full tank very often but when i do it is for a very short distance as i try to camp not to far from the dry camping site the night before.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 07:24 AM   #34
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
The dealers are just going to do what keystone tells them to do. They will only do what they get paid to do by keystone. If you desire this situation to be fixed forever, you are going to have to take matters in your own hands and either fix it yourself or pay an independent shop to do it. I have ZERO confidence that keystone or any dealer will fix it properly.

I took care of that issue on all 3 units I have had and am certain that NO tanks will shift or ever fall out on my camper.

Can you imagine the car industry being like the rv industry. The world would come to a screeching halt.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 09:16 AM   #35
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark N. View Post
One more reason I am glad I sold my Montana for SOB. There are times I have no choice but haul a full tank of water to my boondocking destination. I wasn't liking these posts over the years of my Montana ownership about tanks dropping from underneath the unit. In my market research for the brand I bought, there was not a SINGLE mention in my internet digging of a tank dropping off in the brand I chose. Shame on Keystone. They need to own this problem and remedy it.
It is not just Montana's, my friend's SOB, Forest River, had a fresh water tank drop out on our last trip. Only a couple of years old. He was lucky it laid on his axles all the way home.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 04:26 PM   #36
Popnascar
Established Member

M.O.C. #22722
Ghost again

I assume SOB means some other brand. Anyone with experience with Arctic Fox?? It's coming up on 6 weeks since the tank fell out. No work on it as yet. Keystone says they'll remove and replace it. Interesting since it's not there!!! I'd try to trade it off if I had it. Maybe I'll just go Ghost again.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:43 AM   #37
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
I hate to say it - but putting them on public TV and getting a cut throat lawyer is the only way to hit their bottom line and that is ALL they care about …
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 11:10 AM   #38
Popnascar
Established Member

M.O.C. #22722
Ram - Know a CTL??
Old 11-02-2018, 11:46 AM   #39
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Have a couple of friends with AFs. One had to have the slide removed for repairs. He was not a happy camper.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 03:48 PM   #40
David McCuan

M.O.C. #23038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popnascar View Post
Seems like I've seen a couple posts , but can't find them now. The fresh water tank on our 4 month old 3120 Montana , fell out . A car pulled up and said "you're dragging something - so - figuring I had a bungee or strap or something, we pulled over to find the water tank trolling along being pulled by the wires and fill hose!!! The thing was held up with 3 pieces of banding metal strap and self drilling screws. Keystone is deaf and the dealer says bring it by and we'll take a look. Only half full of water at the time and on smooth paved road, BUT why should that matter. We always (in over 13 units) have pulled with the tank full, we have to since where we go there is no water to fill up after your get there. I hear now of quite a few others. I'll "bring it by" the dealer with no rear lights or brakes since it took those out when the tank ejected. Lucky it didn't come clear loose and under the families' car following!! Nice welcome to our first MONTANA.
This company... We got the bring it by comment as well.
David McCuan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh, tank, water