Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2020, 06:21 PM   #21
Ahdmeyer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24181
were you able to solve your issue about no power"
al meyer
3931fb
az

Ahdmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 06:29 PM   #22
Relaxin
Established Member

M.O.C. #25529
Cancelled our week in San Antonio and took the coach to the dealership in Selma Texas. They found the issue was in fact the transfer switch. Power was reaching the switch but not passing through. They have ordered the part from Progressive Industries. Should be ready to go in a couple of weeks.
Thanks to everyone who chimed in to help solve my problem!! You guys really know your stuff!
Relaxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 06:32 PM   #23
Ahdmeyer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24181
you would think that they would have on on the shelve no more than 1 hr to 2 job at most to swap them out. glad you found out, same problem i had .
al meyer
3931fb
az
Old 06-08-2020, 06:55 PM   #24
Relaxin
Established Member

M.O.C. #25529
This dealership estimates three weeks to check tire pressure. Progressive Industries has a lifetime warranty and promptly ships products when ordered. We’ve bought two RV’s from them. You’d expect some special treatment but don’t get it.
Relaxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 07:37 AM   #25
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
This is just me, but before I cancelled anything, I would have moved the shore power line over to the genny input of the transfer switch and continued on while waiting for a replacement.
We had a living room/dinette slide cylinder fail, finally got the slide in and did an entire Canadian Maritime RV tour keeping that slide in until we could get it replaced.
For a majority of issues there is some kind of work-a-round if you look into it.
Sorry you had to cancel some of your trip.
Old 06-09-2020, 09:21 AM   #26
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Fridge Transfer switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxin View Post
Quick question... there is a small black box positioned next to the inverter mounted upside down in the pass through storage area. Is that the transfer switch?
My guess is that upside down box next to your inverter (in the basement) is a transfer switch for your refrigerator ONLY.

I do not believe it would be the generator transfer switch.

Good luck and safe travels. Stay Healthy.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 12:51 PM   #27
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by H. John Kohl View Post
My guess is that upside down box next to your inverter (in the basement) is a transfer switch for your refrigerator ONLY.

I do not believe it would be the generator transfer switch.

Good luck and safe travels. Stay Healthy.
that is our refer xfer switch
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 02:28 PM   #28
ACKLM8
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxin View Post
Just pulled into our spot in San Antonio and plunged in. No AC Power in the camper. The post is hot, power getting to the end of the power cable reel connection, no power at the 50 amp breakers inside the RV.
Any suggestions? Thank you!
Had same problem recently. Traced to transfer switch (Progressive Dynamics). We have generator and that side of the switch worked, but shore power "solenoid" quit functioning. Found unit behind bulkhead in pass through that is behind the interior stairs. Could manually trip it on by pressing the switch mechanism, but it would not engage on its own. Called PD, gave them serial no. and they sent me a replacement. Change out was straight forward. One easy test by the way is to have someone turn on the breaker at the post while you listen closely in the pass through. The switch makes an audible click when it engages. I'm assuming that if you have generator prep (and maybe even if not) there is a transfer switch as part of the system.
ACKLM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 04:24 PM   #29
Ahdmeyer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24181
thats the third one recently i have heard of, mine and 2 others. the electric part being a relay or whatever does not electrically engage when on shore power, i bypassed the transfer switch itself, now have the new one sitting on a shelf in case i ever do put in an on board generator, our unit is now in the garage, we use the fridge for extra capacity when home.almost lost everything in the freezer because the electric went out and when it came back on the tsf switch did not engage.
al meyer
3931fb
az
Old 06-14-2020, 05:03 PM   #30
Greg n Tracy
Established Member

M.O.C. #24154
Add us to the list. PD sent me a new one, under warranty, had it swapped out in about an hour. Pretty straight forward. We also have gen prep, so I decided to add a 30 amp exterior plug up front so I could plug the Honda gennys in without getting the heavy 50 amp chord out. Works like a charm.
Greg n Tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 05:06 PM   #31
SJ294
Established Member

M.O.C. #24815
I had same issue with same symptoms. Female plug on trailer wire came loose on back side. Reconnected back up & running.
SJ294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 10:54 PM   #32
Rick n Kelly
Established Member

M.O.C. #24855
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
This is just me, but before I cancelled anything, I would have moved the shore power line over to the genny input of the transfer switch and continued on while waiting for a replacement.
We had a living room/dinette slide cylinder fail, finally got the slide in and did an entire Canadian Maritime RV tour keeping that slide in until we could get it replaced.
For a majority of issues there is some kind of work-a-round if you look into it.
Sorry you had to cancel some of your trip.
Last November cold snap in West Texas temp in lower 20's. Switch went out along with sail switch. We full time due to work, Dealer said they do not make repairs off of their site. I called RV Repair Shop, they connected to the gen switch. We did warranty work 4 weeks ago. Switch's in same switch box.
Rick n Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 06:57 PM   #33
Livin salty
Established Member

M.O.C. #22108
I’m guessing it is the transfer switch. Might went bad as well. Tap it lightly with a mallet and I’m willing it will reset the magnets switch.
Good luck
Livin salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 08:11 PM   #34
Ahdmeyer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24181
geez when i called progresive the tec said it is rare for that to happen by the posts so far there have been quite a few cases just like mine.
al meyer
3931fb
az
Old 06-20-2020, 03:16 PM   #35
Mule33

M.O.C. #24881
Had the same problem on my 2020 3813MS with Legacy package no generator.
Dealer tracked it down to transfer switch and put a temp unit in, ordered replacement that will be installed on 7/7/2020. This happened just before we left for our maiden voyage. Pocono RV of Wind Gap PA did a great job to get us on the rode and we were able to take our trip. Thank you Pocono RV.
Mule33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 09:23 PM   #36
DmaxDually
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahdmeyer View Post
geez when i called progresive the tec said it is rare for that to happen by the posts so far there have been quite a few cases just like mine.
al meyer
3931fb
az
That's tech support 101. It's the first thing every company teaches their customer service and tech support reps to say when anyone calls in with a problem..
The lines I usually get are" You are the first person to ever have this problem" or " This is the first we are hearing about this issue"
Old 06-21-2020, 07:03 AM   #37
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by DmaxDually View Post
That's tech support 101. It's the first thing every company teaches their customer service and tech support reps to say when anyone calls in with a problem..
The lines I usually get are" You are the first person to ever have this problem" or " This is the first we are hearing about this issue"
in 11 years I have used that line about 3 maybe 4 times.

Now the line I use the most is, tht issue has been fixed you need to upgrade to the latest approved version
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power problem