Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2021, 01:46 PM   #21
bjacobs3791RD
Established Member

M.O.C. #25072
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcNeal View Post
Andy, and anyone else interested, Chad from Changing Lanes did a really good video on changing out his thermostats for the Micro Air ones. After watching his video, I put both of mine in and got them updated over wifi in about 20 minutes. Really easy process.
Hi Robert! I see we meet again on one of these A/C threads! I also replaced the CT with the Micro-Air thermostats about two months ago and haven't had a single problem, highly recommend them. Finally a fix, pricy, but cheaper than junking the Dometics for two new Coleman units. Hope you've been well.

bjacobs3791RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 01:56 PM   #22
Bob and Jeannette
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22589
I have the same problem

So I have the same problem and thought that it might be a variety of things that people posted already. I think it is power shedding at the gateway device. They recently switched to the Coleman units that soft start and I would bet that power shedding is why.

What I do is set the temperature on my front unit lower than my rear unit and the front runs all the time without shutting down and the rear unit comes on and off as needed. The front unit does not come on when the rear unit is working except at initial power up. It is the gateway controllers, the thermostat is calling for air but is blocked in the gateway by the over power limiter.

Please keep me in the loop on this because if I am wrong I would like to know... but I don’t think I am.
Bob and Jeannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 01:56 PM   #23
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Smith View Post
I would also like to add that the DometicThermostat that I have doesn't look like one that is interchangeable with the MicroAir one, as it does not seem to have the telephone cable style plug. Here are some screenshots. It re-initialized while I was taking off the cover. I've done this a few times and I'm not sure it makes a difference.
That is the same as mine and does work with the BT and WiFi multi all singing and dancing Micro Air. WELL worth the price especially for those of us who go from heat to cool in one day. Just set it and forget it. Program it for day and night, when away all day, reach out with wifi to pre-cool the RV using the WiFi connection. The factory supplied thermostats are junk, mine changes settings whenever I just walk by.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 02:03 PM   #24
Andy Smith
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25951
Unit should be here Friday, hoping it's a quick install. It looks like it. @Bob and Jeanette I don't think we're looking at any kind of power-related bottleneck. I don't run the galley AC at night typically, unless it gets in the mid 80s but hasn't yet, and both run during the day without issue when the temps get in the 90s. Will update after the new micro aire is installed and we've run a few nights.
Old 06-02-2021, 02:11 PM   #25
Bob and Jeannette
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22589
So this is happening when you are only using the front air and not the rear air?
Old 06-02-2021, 02:18 PM   #26
Andy Smith
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25951
Yep, the rear air I have set at about 76 during the day when I am working in the BR, or during dinner in the evenings. I keep the front at 80 during the day when no one is in the front bedroom just to keep it from overheating too much. I turn it down to 70-72 at night and turn the rear off or up to 82 if it's going to be really hot overnight, but generally it stops running when we turn it up that high.

The front occasionally kicks in during really hot days to keep it at 80. It's pretty weirdly sporadic, and always comes back on when I reset the thermostat.
Old 06-02-2021, 02:33 PM   #27
Bob and Jeannette
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22589
Andy my rear unit always works perfectly. My front unit, like yours, always works on 1st call for cold and brings the temp down to the thermostat setting but does not work most but not all times as the thermostat cycles on and off after reaching the desired setting when the rear unit is on. Mine always works with the rear unit off. I have the in command system which acts as a thermostat and it is calling for air, the air conditioner is working fine, I think the gateway controller which handles power shedding is doing what it was designed to do thus the new Coleman units with built in easy start and problem solved.

Edit to say that multiple gateway devices have been wired incorrectly or are not the correct gateway, there are many.
Old 06-02-2021, 05:55 PM   #28
BuckandTeresa
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24683
I had the same experience. I’m getting the micro-air 351.
BuckandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 06:37 PM   #29
mr68gts
Established Member

M.O.C. #24185
Ours does exact same thing in our 2020 MS3810. Ours is a legacy edition, so it uses In-command instead of the usual thermostat.
At first the front one did it. I washed the return filters and that seems to have taken care of that problem. The rear one started doing it recently and so I cleaned those filters and it still has the issue.
Seems odd that only at night this happens though. Phoenix this time of year isn't exactly cold at night lol.
Bigger issue right now is the a/c's won't keep up at all with the heat. (So much for 4 season right....!)
Paul
mr68gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 07:44 PM   #30
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
warranty? deal with it.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 08:37 PM   #31
Bob and Jeannette
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22589
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr68gts View Post
Ours does exact same thing in our 2020 MS3810. Ours is a legacy edition, so it uses In-command instead of the usual thermostat.
At first the front one did it. I washed the return filters and that seems to have taken care of that problem. The rear one started doing it recently and so I cleaned those filters and it still has the issue.
Seems odd that only at night this happens though. Phoenix this time of year isn't exactly cold at night lol.
Bigger issue right now is the a/c's won't keep up at all with the heat. (So much for 4 season right....!)
Paul
Last summer I was researching a 3rd ac unit because I did not realize that my front was taking to much time off do to power shedding in the gateways. My cure is to power off the front air using in command and restarting it. From a fresh start the front air works great until it reaches the desired temperature.

The ac units are simple machines, power in and a run signal from the thermostat. The only problem is the gateways that are used to keep it under 50amps. I think everything is working fine as designed but that’s the problem. They need a soft start and ditch the gateways in my opinion. I’ll let you know how I make out with mine.
Old 06-03-2021, 05:43 AM   #32
mr68gts
Established Member

M.O.C. #24185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob and Jeannette View Post

The only problem is the gateways that are used to keep it under 50amps. I think everything is working fine as designed but that’s the problem. They need a soft start and ditch the gateways in my opinion. I’ll let you know how I make out with mine.
When I took the trailer in for the last of the warranty work I had them look at the a/c issue about not cooling down.

They and Montana said they are working as they should and will only cool down roughly 20 degrees from outside temp. My opinion is that's bs. Our previous trailer would cool down more than 20 degrees from outside temp with only one a/c!

Let me know if the soft starts correct the issue! It's going to be a miserable summer in phoenix lol. (Just like every year ha ha)

Paul
mr68gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 05:53 AM   #33
Andy Smith
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25951
Quote:
When I took the trailer in for the last of the warranty work I had them look at the a/c issue about not cooling down.

They and Montana said they are working as they should and will only cool down roughly 20 degrees from outside temp. My opinion is that's bs. Our previous trailer would cool down more than 20 degrees from outside temp with only one a/c!

Let me know if the soft starts correct the issue! It's going to be a miserable summer in phoenix lol. (Just like every year ha ha)

Paul
I agree that this doesn't seem accurate, as my AC can cool down into the 60s when the outside temps are in the 90s, if it feels inclined. The night-time AC shutting down happens even when the outside and inside temps are within 10 degrees of each other, so I can't imagine that's the case.
Old 06-03-2021, 12:03 PM   #34
GHallof
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25098
Junk junk junk

Hi Andy, there are a lot of posts on the JUNK thermostats and the issues many folks have had with them. The bottom line for me in the end was to replace with the Micro Air T Stat. I did the main one first and waiting to do the bedroom next.

My HVAC issues weren't just with the TStats. Both AC Units were misaligned with the opening in the roof. My duct work was collapsed, both return and supply. When the AC is running you'll notice a vacuum in the wall behind your TStat pull hot air through. I insulated behind the TStats. I even went as far to block air entry in the steps.

Dometic sent me replacement TStats a number of times. All JUNK.

I had my local RV service center check each unit...they eventually called in an HVAC guy...nothing but puzzled.

In the end...The Micro Air TStat has done the trick + all of the work to correct the flow issues and more.

Frustrating for sure...
2017 3661RL
GHallof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 01:21 PM   #35
Bob and Jeannette
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22589
Quote:

Paul
I was in Florida full time last summer for COVID-19 madness and once I figured out I could make the font unit work my 3813 stayed cool. Don’t waste your money on 3 unless you soft start and get past your power shedding gateways.
Old 06-03-2021, 01:51 PM   #36
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob and Jeannette View Post
I was in Florida full time last summer for COVID-19 madness and once I figured out I could make the font unit work my 3813 stayed cool. Don’t waste your money on 3 unless you soft start and get past your power shedding gateways.
Tell me more about these poser shedding gateways. Not sure if I have one. What do they look like? I have something called a "Power Share Switch" but I think it is only used if I install a 3rd unit.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 08:25 AM   #37
Randy E
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21626
Just get the Micro-air Thermostats. I installed 2 in about 10 minutes. Very easy to switch the wires. There is a huge difference in how the new ones work. You can easily control them from your smartphone. They actually run so differently that you'd think the entire rooftop unit was changed out. Runs less. Starts easily. No on and off cycles. Just be sure to insulate the wall cavity with some non expanding foam or equivalent. This keeps the hot air inside the wall from getting to your thermostat. These new units are worth every penny. I was so impressed that i also ordered and installed 2 EZ start units for the roof top. Now they start with about a 13 amp load. And the unit runs smoothly on startup .
2016 Chevy DD 4x4
Randy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 12:45 PM   #38
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy E View Post
Just get the Micro-air Thermostats. I installed 2 in about 10 minutes. Very easy to switch the wires. There is a huge difference in how the new ones work. You can easily control them from your smartphone. They actually run so differently that you'd think the entire rooftop unit was changed out. Runs less. Starts easily. No on and off cycles. Just be sure to insulate the wall cavity with some non expanding foam or equivalent. This keeps the hot air inside the wall from getting to your thermostat. These new units are worth every penny. I was so impressed that i also ordered and installed 2 EZ start units for the roof top. Now they start with about a 13 amp load. And the unit runs smoothly on startup .
Just ordered two of them.
Old 06-05-2021, 09:15 AM   #39
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
Ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz View Post
My theory is that it has more to do with humidity. Mine also start working just by turning them off/on. I suspect that by the time I notice it getting warm, any freeze up issue would have melted. I think the units have a sensor that detects ice and shuts them down. I've had two dealers look at it and the Dometic pros at the national rally. No help because, of course, it never fails when they are looking at it.

This is a very frustrating problem for everyone. I'm tired of working on it. If I have the problem solved; great, if not, I'll run the fans on high.
Well Scott - low humidity (15%) on it still freezing up. Just ordered on MicroAir. And going up on the roof to check for air leaks. Of course, on the road. So far spent $65k on this trip.
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 12:05 PM   #40
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Montana High Country View Post
Well Scott - low humidity (15%) on it still freezing up. Just ordered on MicroAir. And going up on the roof to check for air leaks. Of course, on the road. So far spent $65k on this trip.
Very frustrating; multiple problems. $65k??? I stressed over the price of the thermostats. Buy another truck?

Tags
dometic ac, thermostat