Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2022, 07:08 PM   #1
Rogueknight
Established Member

M.O.C. #31462
Newbie help

Hey guys need some education
I recently purchased my first Rv a 2011 Montana mountaineer 345dbq
Again I am new to rvs so reading some of the battery posts got a little confusing.

So my Rv has a deka marine starters dc27 battery. It’s a 2019 battery and it works but I suspect performance is not what it should be. I generally hook up my standing battery charger to the battery to make sure it’s at a good 12v for the Rv. I do notice better performance with the charger.

So I was looking to replace the battery. I was looking at Walmart because I am in a rural area and the nearest Rv store is an hour away. I know in my vehicles I have gone to gel batteries and been much happier than standard batteries.
But looking I see standard batteries, a 100ah deep cycle hybrid gel battery, LiFePO4 which if I am not mistaken is a lithium battery, and there are various sizes that get costly (200ab,300ah,400ah,etc) and agm batteries.
I am not wanting to dump loads of money into the battery right now as I am still making repairs and upgrades. Maybe in the future but I want to put in something that will be reliable.

At the moment I don’t have plans for boondocking. I may take trips and on the way might stop where power isn’t available but for the most part I plan to go where I have a 50 amp service (I live in texas and 104 degree days I want the ac’s to work lol).
I was about to go with the lithium but then it seems like I would need another charger, a monitor and other stuff and I wouldn’t be able to use my battery charger it only has modes for standard and agm. Maybe in the future I was considering getting solar because that should work great out here. But I still have to get the carpet replaced in the back room first.

I am waiting on the power company to come out this week to see about a service pole so I have mostly been using the battery and charger (generator evidently needs a tube up and it doesn’t like the ac on the Rv lol).

Should I be looking at a deep cycle battery just to replace the one I have (though I will get a maintenance free instead)
Should I look for a gel battery like I did the vehicles? Should I go to a agm? Or for now should I go to two batteries and run them in parallel? If so which type should I use?
I also know the Rv should be charging the battery when I get my 50amp receptacle installed. Would any of these require me to change anything.
It hasn’t beed a major deal right now because I have a good charger and it is maintaining the battery that’s there. When I switch all the light bulbs this week to led that should lower the drain too.
I know right now on battery I can run the hydraulics and the roof fans but not the ceiling fan that needs the generator and I think that’s all that runs on the battery.
I know the fridge and acs and stuff work cause I was in it when the previous owner was living in it.
I am not living in it I am using it as a guest house and for travel.

Rogueknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 07:06 PM   #2
Rogueknight
Established Member

M.O.C. #31462
Can’t believe no one is willing to help
Old 08-29-2022, 07:35 PM   #3
Rayknight03

M.O.C. #31544
I would say get a deep cycle gel if you dont want to go for the lithium
Rayknight03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 07:52 PM   #4
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Just saw your post (above) from 8/14/2022. Sorry, I did not see this until just now.

I don't have any advise on the battery, this is an area I am not knowledgeable on. My suggestion, (and what I would do) is, since you are planning on having hook-ups to electricity (shore power), to simply replace your battery with one like you already have.

I'm a little confused by your post also. Are you saying your camper is (currently) not plugged into shore power as it's parked on a plot of land that you are developing, or getting electricity installed in the future?

Also, trying to follow your details, you are running a generator. Is the camper plugged into the generator, or are you just running the generator to charge your trailer batteries, separate, with a battery charger.

If your camper is plugged into the generator, your converter will charge the battery. If you are not plugged into the generator, but using a battery charger, yes, that would explain why you have better performance when the charger is running.

Again, I am no battery guru, I just use them, I don't fiddle with them or try to improve on them.

Hopefully, someone else will chime in.

I'm glad you joined this forum. There are a lot of folks with some pretty deep knowledge for just about everything on RV's. Your's being a bit older will be a little more of a challenge, but surly, one of our resident experts will be along to give you some direction.

Welcome to the forums. Don't be shy, keep posting. There's a lot of focus going on right now about the Montana Rally in Indiana starting on September 7, I don't think folks are focused on much else right now.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 08:12 PM   #5
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
It sounds as if you just want the battery for jacks, slides and lights while not plugged in. Assuming you have a standard RV fridge in a 2011, you can get by with two Interstate deep cycle batteries (one is pushing it). I doubt you would benefit from AGM or lithium. A lot of Walmarts handle Interstate I believe. Welcome to the forum. Also the first I’ve seen this post.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 09:31 PM   #6
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Agree with Ron.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 09:34 PM   #7
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
As you aren't boon docking, another deep cycle battery should be adequate if you have 30/50 amp shore power to keep it charged via the converter. A separate battery charger usually isn't needed. My choice would be two 6V golf cart batteries (Costco or Sam's Club have the best prices), wired in series, to provide more than enough battery power.

When you get/have shore power, whether 30 or 50 amp (off a pole or even the generator), your existing converter will be fine to keep the batteries charged.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 07:10 AM   #8
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Agree with Ron X2. I have been Rving about 16 years-no boon docking, stay in FHU RV parks. So--I feel my cheapest and most reliable battery is the deep cycle Interstate. I replace them every 4-5 years to avoid battery issues while on the road for our usual 3-4 months in the summer-fall.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 08:00 PM   #9
Rogueknight
Established Member

M.O.C. #31462
Thanks

Sorry for the confusion

I own a ranch and the camper is here. I don’t have a 50 amp plug installed yet.
This was not a planned purchase. The grandfather bought it for his granddaughter last year to live in while she was going to college for $21,000. This was my sons ex. Well turned out she hasn’t gone to school the past two years. He was mad. And she didn’t take care of it and I have been doing a lot of cleaning and gonna have the carpet replaced. But basically I found out he was selling it for $4,000 and I jumped on it. I don’t even have a 5th wheel on my truck yet lol. But I could t pass up the deal.
So I am restoring it and it’s coming along very nice.

As for power I do have a champion 5500 generator which can power it but the 2 ac systems are too much for the generator.
And my generator keeps randomly stalling out for some unknown reason. It’s barely used. I bought it to run welders on the ranch. I probably just need to take it to get a tune up. But again this wasn’t a planned purchase.
So until I can get a outlet installed I have my battery charger hooked up to the battery. Also replacing all the bulbs with led is not only brighter but also doesn’t use as much power.

Once I get a plug installed then most of this will be a moot point really and I doubt I would notice. But it’s hot in texas and having more than the vent fans would be nice while I am scrubbing this thing down.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3C0214C2-5631-4E40-BF06-2D8CEE1B7E85.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	391.0 KB
ID:	12949   Click image for larger version

Name:	E4EED7EE-4F99-4AEE-9E63-955ECDD7F4BA.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	246.3 KB
ID:	12950   Click image for larger version

Name:	FF48F754-2967-4AB4-A6CD-204C47D2D0FC.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	280.9 KB
ID:	12951   Click image for larger version

Name:	12C32F64-0521-4C57-8F76-4D2C1C4524FD.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	317.0 KB
ID:	12952   Click image for larger version

Name:	FE12CDC0-1B3C-4F69-8D3F-33DCC9CA0A24.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	280.4 KB
ID:	12953  

Click image for larger version

Name:	9409EAAD-9DEF-463A-B553-635FC97BCBF5.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	274.2 KB
ID:	12954  
Old 08-30-2022, 08:03 PM   #10
Rogueknight
Established Member

M.O.C. #31462
Quote:
Originally Posted by rames14 View Post
It sounds as if you just want the battery for jacks, slides and lights while not plugged in. Assuming you have a standard RV fridge in a 2011, you can get by with two Interstate deep cycle batteries (one is pushing it). I doubt you would benefit from AGM or lithium. A lot of Walmarts handle Interstate I believe. Welcome to the forum. Also the first I’ve seen this post.
The fridge and the water heater are both propane and electric.
Yeah currently it has one deep cycle battery.

It’s my first Rv and I have been learning a lot
Old 08-30-2022, 08:05 PM   #11
Rogueknight
Established Member

M.O.C. #31462
Thanks for the input.

Tags
battery, newbie