Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-10-2021, 10:08 PM   #1
Gedo6465

M.O.C. #30224
Does the hot water tank need replaced

2008-keystone-montana-fifth-wheel 3400rl

Came home and found huge amount of warm water on the living room floor... Looks like it flowed from the corner where the kitchen counter and the desk area slide out almost connect... There was no water whatsoever, under the kitchen sink area at all... I have completely disconnected the water from the outside connection... Does this mean that the hot water tank need to be completely replaced or is it something else related to the hot water tank?

Thank you in advance for your time and attention into my inquiry!!!

Respectfully,
Jerry

Gedo6465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 05:25 AM   #2
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Hard to say. Could be a busted water line, or tank leak. Needs more investigation. Can you get to, or at least see, the back of your water heater from the basement?
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 06:19 AM   #3
RipNC
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26926
Was there any water outside the rig by the heater?

We had the pressure relief valve release (had to be repoaced as it wouldn't reset) and as the water flooded the metal enclosure (inside the cover) water infiltrated to the floor of our pantry. Apparently thru the opening where the anode screws in - there are perforations there and the water built up inside the cover until it reached the vent slots. I, eventually, awoke to the sound and thought it was coming from the pantry and found the floor wet. Walked out the door and the ground under our rig was wet (no one elses was) and shut water off. It was pouring out of the seams and vent slots. Replaced the pressure relief valve and has been fine since. Much drying of the floor and fans blowing followed.
RipNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 01:31 PM   #4
daleyruss

M.O.C. #21187
That happened in our '09 and the bottom of the HWH had rusted and the water was coming out onto the carpet. Replacing the tank is not too difficult and takes about an hour.
daleyruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 08:15 PM   #5
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Your water heater is below the floor level, so it's likely that the water is coming from another location. I had to replace our water heater about five years ago, due to a leaking tank, and the water went down, not up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	leaking water heater.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	10774  
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 05:07 PM   #6
N. Hall
Established Member

M.O.C. #26717
I got tired of defective welds on our water tank which ruined our first 2014 3850 FL, where it ruined the floor and cause d a lot of black mold in our unit. the water tank emitted a very fine mist under pressure. I took it to the dealership and they kept it for two days and said it was ok. Our floor began to get spongy and soft, so another trip to the dealer and they found the source and problem. Our coach had black mold and the rubber roof was bubbled everywhere on top. We are full timers and we were living in our camper during winter in North Dakota at the time. Needless to say, a replacement unit was ordered and I had to pay the difference in a 2014 and 2015 unit. Recently, water found in the floor blow the refrigerator, same spot as the 2014 unit. I had enough, I installed a tankless water heater and we LOVE it! We have endless hot water and it doesn't use half as much propane as the 12 gal tank that came in our unit.
N. Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 08:03 PM   #7
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by N. Hall View Post
I got tired of defective welds on our water tank which ruined our first 2014 3850 FL, where it ruined the floor and cause d a lot of black mold in our unit. the water tank emitted a very fine mist under pressure. I took it to the dealership and they kept it for two days and said it was ok. Our floor began to get spongy and soft, so another trip to the dealer and they found the source and problem. Our coach had black mold and the rubber roof was bubbled everywhere on top. We are full timers and we were living in our camper during winter in North Dakota at the time. Needless to say, a replacement unit was ordered and I had to pay the difference in a 2014 and 2015 unit. Recently, water found in the floor blow the refrigerator, same spot as the 2014 unit. I had enough, I installed a tankless water heater and we LOVE it! We have endless hot water and it doesn't use half as much propane as the 12 gal tank that came in our unit.

Tankless for RV? More info please.
Old 09-06-2022, 08:21 PM   #8
N. Hall
Established Member

M.O.C. #26717
Girard is what I installed, wasn’t hard to do. I searched online and found it much cheaper than replacing with the original 12 gal Suburban which I do not like.
N. Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 04:17 AM   #9
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
My unit has a Suburban IW60. We love it. I still need to remove the basement bulkhead wall and install some shark bite valves and hose ends to facilitate and annual descaling routine. The diagrams, illustrations and parts came with the owner documentation. It’s on the to-do list. Evidently descaling must be a rare event because I can’t find any YouTube videos showing the piping install or the descale process. The instructions are clear but I would like to observe someone else’s procedure first.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 07:06 AM   #10
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
To figure out if you have a leak or if it's just the pressure relief valve, put water in your fresh water tank and disconnect from shore water hook-ups. Now, turn your water pump on and let it pressurize. If there is a leak, you'll hear the water pump cycle on and off, pretty fast. If it does not cycle on and off, but stays off, you have no leak. The water is coming from somewhere else. Or else the pressure from your shore water connection is too much, blowing something out, that doesn't happen when the water system is under a lesser pressure with the water pump only.

It's an easy first level of research to define the root cause of your problem. This is probably the main reason why I never keep connected to shore water, but pump from my fresh water tank always. It takes only about 2 ounces of water to run and the water pump turns on. When the pump turns on and no faucets are on, it gets my attention .... always! Good case in point is the automatic ice maker in the refrigerator. And just last week, the wife did not turn the knob completely off on our toilet Bidet and it was slightly running. I heard the water pump cycle on and off. Found the toilet Bidet running and good I did, otherwise it would have filled the toilet bowl and eventually over flooded on the floor. I've caught faucets not turned off completely, leaking water at the anode rode/ drain on the water heater, and my outside shower faucets turned on, but the head of the shower button was off (still allowing it to drip a little). If I were hooked up to shore water, I would have never known these drips and leaks were going on. The water pump cycling on and and off is an immediate attention getter. Plus, it helps us be keenly aware of how much water we are using so it help to let us know when it's time to dump the sewer holding tanks.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 08:37 AM   #11
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post
My unit has a Suburban IW60. We love it. I still need to remove the basement bulkhead wall and install some shark bite valves and hose ends to facilitate and annual descaling routine. The diagrams, illustrations and parts came with the owner documentation. It’s on the to-do list. Evidently descaling must be a rare event because I can’t find any YouTube videos showing the piping install or the descale process. The instructions are clear but I would like to observe someone else’s procedure first.

Do they make a unit that works on 120volt and LPG? I see one that works on 12volts but that sounds problematic.
Old 09-07-2022, 09:56 AM   #12
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Most Tankless Water Heaters I've seen only work on Propane as you can't get enough heat out of an electric element to meet the demand
Old 09-07-2022, 10:40 AM   #13
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
Have you checked the connections on the in and out at the tank. I had an issue on our previous RV with a leak I was chasing and it was the connection.

2018 Ram 3500 MegaCab 4x4 Aisin, 4:10 Gears
Titan 50 Gal Tank, Air Lift Wireless Bags
2017 3160 RL
DadsHemi is offline   Reply With Quote