Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2023, 12:01 AM   #1
TaintedSoull

M.O.C. #31874
Electric submeter for fair usage calculations?

Hello hello! Hope everyone is gettin' ready for an awesome Super Bowl Weekend!!

Got a question about electric submeters if I may ask for anyone who is willing to provide some insights. Even if you're not sure but heard about a way, let's hear it!

Question: Do they make any kind of submeter that a layman can install that measures electric usage for the rig? Particularly a plug in one that could go right from the outdoor surge protector into the electric plug outside?

The Why Behind The Question: We often unplug everything and don't run any electric except fridge and thermostat. When the lessor moved us to his new property it didn't come with separate meters. Lessor has tons of construction going on in the main house and the accompanying ADU so need a way to monitor our usage per electric period. This way the lessor may view in real time our rigs actual usage and we can be charged accurately. We went many nights recently a lil too cold for our blood for fear of a high bill and still got one... On propane, too

Thank You In Advance!!

TaintedSoull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 06:49 AM   #2
Bourbon County
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30449
There are a number of single point use KWH meters on the market like the "kill-a-watt" that run in the $20-30 range. This would give you the ability to monitor 1 appliance that has a cord and plug connection like your fridge. The downside is that it will only monitor 1 appliance and if used on the fridge, you would have to unstrap the fridge and pull it out from the wall to read it every month.

There are a number of energy monitoring systems on the market that aren't really an install project for a layman. You have to install current transformer donuts on the incoming line and wire them to a display. The donuts take up quite a bit of space and I'm not even sure there is adequate space in an RV power center to install them.

If you did have some type of power monitoring system, the next question is would the lessor believe your system is accurate and agree to adjust the power bill accordingly? Short of having the poco install a dedicated meter for your rig I believe you are at the mercy of the lessor.
Bourbon County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 08:27 AM   #3
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
The app for my Power Watch Dog surge protector shows usage in real time right on my phone.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 11:53 AM   #4
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Maybe this will work. Place one pickup coil on each hotleg, and you should be able to get a total usage by adding the watthour readings. https://www.amazon.com/Current-Amper...2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 01:29 AM   #5
TaintedSoull

M.O.C. #31874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourbon County View Post
There are a number of single point use KWH meters on the market like the "kill-a-watt" that run in the $20-30 range. This would give you the ability to monitor 1 appliance that has a cord and plug connection like your fridge. The downside is that it will only monitor 1 appliance and if used on the fridge, you would have to unstrap the fridge and pull it out from the wall to read it every month.

There are a number of energy monitoring systems on the market that aren't really an install project for a layman. You have to install current transformer donuts on the incoming line and wire them to a display. The donuts take up quite a bit of space and I'm not even sure there is adequate space in an RV power center to install them.

If you did have some type of power monitoring system, the next question is would the lessor believe your system is accurate and agree to adjust the power bill accordingly? Short of having the poco install a dedicated meter for your rig I believe you are at the mercy of the lessor.
Oof yeah the fridge, it's not exactly a pull out (or at least to my immediate knowledge). I'm sure it does pull out but it's more like a built in fridge and the freezer is too. I almost want to replace that whole fridge area with a regular and more cost efficient one but for it to have back up propane is a blessing.

Yes I do believe in my heart the landlord would believe the readings if I can make this happen.

Thank you so much for the information. I don't typically do any electrical since working on my cars distributor cap a few decades ago.... Fun times.
Old 02-13-2023, 01:30 AM   #6
TaintedSoull

M.O.C. #31874
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
Maybe this will work. Place one pickup coil on each hotleg, and you should be able to get a total usage by adding the watthour readings. https://www.amazon.com/Current-Amper...2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1
Excellent I like that one that's looking pretty smooth!
Old 02-13-2023, 01:31 AM   #7
TaintedSoull

M.O.C. #31874
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
The app for my Power Watch Dog surge protector shows usage in real time right on my phone.
I saw that on YouTube so thank you for confirming this! Something about real testimonials that really seals the deal!
Old 02-17-2023, 08:53 AM   #8
CAG
Established Member

M.O.C. #24811
Here is another option, more expensive but we use it for our entire house. If you are not behind a surge protector it will even tell you which appliances you are using over time.

https://sense.com/

It is also rated to be installed inside a panel.
CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 11:42 AM   #9
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
Dam I have one and keep forgetting to set up the Bluetooth Next trip!

Tags
electric question, electrical, electrical box question