Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2008, 11:12 AM   #1
fernsco
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8144
Overhead fan and lights not working

New 3485 purchased in Dec and we had the dealer winterize for storage till spring. Fan and lights worked earlier this winter, but when we went today to check for mice and start packing items we noticed the overhead fan/light and the dining room lights were not working. We tried the fan pull cord just to make sure that was not the problem. Same with the light switch. All breakers appeared intact as well. Could the switch on the hallway wall be shorted already?? Hoping this is a simple problem and not indicative of things to come.

fernsco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 11:17 AM   #2
Jim Dickey
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7372
Have you checked the 120VAC power?
Jim Dickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 12:01 PM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I had that problem on my 02 and found a wire nut in the base of the fan had come loose. Unplug the trailer and pull the fan down.
Good luck.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 01:35 PM   #4
fernsco
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8144
120 power is working fine...everything else was working. Next time down to the campground I will check the fan for a loose nut, but that does not explain why the lights above the DR table does not work either, or does it??
Old 02-18-2008, 01:38 PM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
It's possible these circuits may be tied into your gfi circuit in the bathroom. Check it to see if it needs to be reset.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 12:54 AM   #6
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
That switch on my 3075RL also controls the outlets in the living room slide and the outlet at the rear of the coach. (And at one time, my refrigerator until they corrected that). I don't think mine is on a GFCI circuit, but it could be since we don't have wiring diagrams to tell us otherwise. You may have to open up the switch and check it with a meter. Then try to trace the wires back to the box if no power to the switch. Also check all the wires in the breaker/fuse box to make sure they are all tight. Loose wires seems to be an all too common problem.
Or if your dealer is near by, take it back to them. They should do that kind of make-good service quickly for you since you just bought it.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 03:09 AM   #7
fernsco
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8144
Thanks Bill. I will check switch and wiring next time at the campground and in the meantime start a list of items for the dealer to work with under waranty.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:54 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Are the fan and lights in a slide by chance? We once had a connection pull loose under a slide. There is at least one junction box under the slide. The problem was in the junction box. Just a longshot at this point.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 05:02 AM   #9
fernsco
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8144
The fan is not on a slide out but the dining table lights are.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:22 AM   #10
boat391
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5756
I had this same problem just last week the GFI was popped out reset that and it popped again replaced the GFI and no luck went under the trailer and found that the junction box was full of water direct short bingo drained it and resealed it no more problem hope this helps a bit
boat391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 12:29 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Also, the outside electrical outlets are on that same GFCI circuit. So check there for water also, even though it's an enclosed outlet.

Last time we had this kind of problem I eventually found the GFCI circuit button on the bathroom outlet box was tripped. It wasn't real evident but pushing it and resetting it cleared up the problem.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 07:45 PM   #12
EagleRunner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5255
If you are referring to the 110VAC lighting and if all else fails, check the buss bar strip in the breaker panel. You may have a loose screw that secures the return line (white wire) for that circuit. In some cases, the loose wire may have result in enough heat to discolor the insulation on the end of the wire. Check all the screws securing the return wires for loose connections. These do work loose from time to time so a periodic check is strongly recommended.

Typically there are two to four screws that secure the cover on the breaker panel. The buss strip is usually found on the bottom front of the box. Look for all the white wires coming into a single buss strip. That is the strip you need to check. You might want to disconnect from shore power before you start working in that box.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting.

Tom
EagleRunner is offline   Reply With Quote