Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2023, 01:28 PM   #1
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
Good Service, or Not

Took the Monty to a local independent RV repair facility in late November. Took them two weeks to look at it. They called after another week and told me their repair plan (covered by insurance), AND, told me I needed a whole new roof, $12,000. I told them work with the insurance for the original problem, I'd think about the roof. They closed for three weeks over the holidays.

Finally called yesterday and they told me the insurance agreed on the original repairs last week, and they were ready to start repairs next week. They called me this morning and asked if I could come over and pull the FW into their service bay. I found that odd, but I drove over and found it was exactly where I'd first left it, in a very uneven outside spot, they'd left all the slides open and the batteries run down, so of course, we had to go to some effort to get it ready to move.

I took the opportunity to inspect the roof and determined, with the tech's explanation, that the only roof damage was to an 8' long edge, about 6' wide. So I asked, why do I need a whole new roof and was told I don't, a repair could be done but they don't like to repair roofs.

So, they took an extraordinarily long time with little communication, and maybe tried to soak me for the roof. It's a good thing we had no plans to use it. Off my soap box now.

phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 01:35 PM   #2
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Insurances and warranty word? When making claims like that, the expectation is the "repair" will be back to it's original as it came from the factory. If you or I did the work, we'd piece-meal the repair as you stated could be done. But "they" will restore the damage to factory specs. I know, that doesn't make sense when a more simple repair can be done. But it's just the way it is.

I had a bent axle replaced. After 2 months of waiting for the axle to be shipped, it finally came in. The wait time is awful with repair shops, I agree. I questioned why they didn't just bend the axle back, and they told me they are obligated to restore it back to "factory." They cannot guarantee anything less. So, I paid the price. Mine was not under warranty, and I really did not think about insurance until after I got the camper back. (a little too late now).
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 02:28 PM   #3
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
Insurances and warranty word?......
Well out of warranty. The insurance claim is for Hurricane Ian damage. The roof is totally on me, full or partial repair.
Old 01-25-2023, 03:36 PM   #4
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
If the roof were "on me", I'd do the partial. As long as the new affixed to the old is seamed good and glued good, I'd do the partial. Why? Chances are you'll be trading the camper in a few years anyway, if not sooner. How long are you planning on keeping the camper?
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 06:51 AM   #5
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
What a run-a-round Phil. Sounds like the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing there. I feel your pain.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 06:42 AM   #6
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
So, the slideout repair should be finished next week. I've decided to risk my 73yo body on a ladder to repair the roof. It's along an edge so I don't have to get on the roof, yea. Thanks for your responses.
Old 01-27-2023, 04:56 PM   #7
wed
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8174
The Best is Affinity RV Group in Goshen In
Top notch!
2020 3931 FB Legacy
wed is offline   Reply With Quote