Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2014, 03:51 PM   #1
worleyjrtx5
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14165
Overhead lights failure on 2011 324RLQ

Any ideas on why my switch that operates the overhead lights and porch light decided to not function after a wash down today? All the other lights in the trailer still function on the direct switch on the fixture. The big security lights still function from the same switch set as the overhead and porch light. Fuses all seem to be good.

Had the inverter replaced about a month ago. All worked well this past weekend on a 3 day to Cleburne TX state park. All were working after wash-up but when I moved the rig back under the cover and opened the slides, no go on the overhead lights.

2011 324RLQ towed by a 2012 Ford F250 w/camper package.

worleyjrtx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 04:04 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Really sounds like a fuse. Turn the lights on manually and see if a red light comes on next to one of the fuses.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 04:29 PM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Are there any electrical boxes UNDER your slides?? Water has been known to get in there.

And, just cause, check the ground fault interrupter switches.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 12:32 AM   #4
worleyjrtx5
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14165
Will recheck the fuses with lights on.

No electrical under the trailer as far as I know.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:26 AM   #5
worleyjrtx5
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14165
OK, went into the coach this morning and flipped the switch and we have lights!

The fuse blinked red for a second then the lights came on. I pushed on the fuse a couple of times to make sure it was seated and it blinked red and lights dimmed.

Believe I may have a loose wire behind the fuse panel. I will pull the panel in a bit and see what is happening.

More to follow.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:10 AM   #6
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
You washed the trailer, it got wet, possibly, very wet. You let it dry overnight, and now the lights work. It was wet, it is not now.

Been there, done that. Just give it a bit more thought, and by all means check that fuse stuff.

And, look under your slides again, unless they have drastically changed the way they build the coaches (always possible with daily build changes), there are electrical connections/boxes under there. Have been several reports here on the MOC over the years of water IN those boxes creating havoc with power.

Mrs. CountryGuy, wife of CountryGuy, retired electrician.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 03:11 AM   #7
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
We have the same units. I don't believe the slides have anything to do with it, there are no overhead 12v lights in the slides operated by that switch, nor is the wire routed through any slides. Since you had someone in your electrical access area behind the basement wall, it is likely they put a strain on some of the wiring. It's just a bunch of spaghetti in there, not much wire tied and nothing identified. You already know the lights work if turned on at the lights themselves.

So taking the simple approach, first pull the plate containing the switch. It's about as cheap a switch as the Won Dang Lo factory can produce. I don't think you have a bad switch, but you could check it with a meter for consistance on-off-on several times. Check the connection. A gentle tug on the wires might cause the lights to flicker or just go out and if so, you have a loose connection. If all is ok there, remove the basement wall, be careful around the 12v socket for the basement tv and the 110v socket next to it when you remove the wall panel, the wires are not tied off. You should be able to see the converter and all of the wiring leading up to your light switch panel. Check for something loose. I bet you find it.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 03:26 AM   #8
worleyjrtx5
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14165
Thanks for the guidance. When work ends, will get out there and see what is going behind the panel.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:11 AM   #9
worleyjrtx5
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14165
Got to the panel removal this morning. I was still getting a flicker of the fuse light when I pushed on the fuse. Removed the door panel on the electrical panel, removed the entire electrical fuse panel. In looking at it, there would be no access to it if I came in from the back.

That said, I checked the tightness of all the screws on the wires going into the 12 volt side, none loose. Pulled on all the wires, none loose. So put the panel back in place before screwing it back up, checked the fuse again, no flicker and the lights are on brighter. Not sure what I did but it seems to be fixed.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:54 AM   #10
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
Sometimes they're haunted. Glad you fixed it.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 04:57 PM   #11
worleyjrtx5
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14165
Thanks Dave. An unrelated question. My circuit breaker on the 324RLQ kicks out often when opening and closing the slides. It resets after a few seconds, and I can continue the slide operation.

Someone suggested changing the circuit breaker. Do you have that problem and if so, what have you done about it? If you know, which of the circuit breakers is the correct one to change?

Thanks.